In car GPS and Hand Held GPS

Guys,

We are planning a twelve month trip from Sydney to London via Africa.

We are convinced we will be getting Tracks for Africa.

Still not sure on what type of GPS to buy and whether we need a handheld GPS?

I would love to hear your feedback on a reliable set up for our intended purpose of navigating our way to London.

Appreciate any information recieved.

Cheers,

Gaz

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 16:42

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 16:42
Hi Guys

Goto Sygic and see what they have to offer in the way of maps.
Its an App to load onto yr smart phone.

Best GPS I have used so far.

Geoff
AnswerID: 494421

Follow Up By: Gaz W - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:41

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:41
Cheers Geoff. Ill have a look.
FollowupID: 770103

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:07

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:07
Hi

If you are getting Tracks for Africa (GPS version) you will need a Garmin GPS (according to their website). The type you get (in car e.g Nuvi or handheld e.g. 62 series) will be dependent on your own personnel needs and preferences. For example if you never get out of the car or only walk short distances or along well defined/well travelled tracks a handheld may not be of any use and the larger screen of the in car unit maybe the way to go.

Your call.

Would also suggest you double check that the gps unit you choose accepts aftermarket maps of the type you are purchasing before buying.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 494424

Follow Up By: Gaz W - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:44

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:44
Thanks Greg.
I have read a few reviews about the Garmin now saying they are unreliable but im not sure how much truth is in that.
We do and will be doing alot of trekking so i want to look at both options.
Thanks for you reply.
Gaz.
FollowupID: 770104

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:53

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 17:53
No worries ..well if you do a lot of out of car stuff then a handheld is the go, though maybe an in car and a handheld would be within the budget?

Now that I think of it a Garmin Montana may fit your requirements - big screen so good for the car, relatively big for a handheld but still fits in the pocket and is not bad for outdoor use.

I have not heard of "Garmins" in general being unreliable. Thay are one of the best IMHO, there maybe some specific models that are lemons or in some cases a bad version of firmware/software may initiate some discussion but Garmin generally fix buggy firmware up pretty fast.

Cheeers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 770106

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:37

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:37
I have Garmin GPSmap 78Sc. Robust and waterproof for trekking (gets regular dunkings on my kayak) with built in and expandable memory to read your base maps off a micro sd card. Smartphones are the cheapest form of getting mapping software via apps, but are pretty much useless away from a charger.
The 78 has the old garmin menu which is fairly slow to get around, but the device is not going to let you down when you need it. Check also the Garmin rhino which is the same thing with a uhf radio as well. Enjoy the trip.
FollowupID: 770115

Reply By: graham B9 - Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 19:47

Saturday, Sep 08, 2012 at 19:47
Hi Gaz,

You want a hand held and the main reason is security. At night you want to be able to remove it from the car and then hide the power wires. Loose it on route and you are "stuffed" ( there was another word that came to mind). It is not a matter of just walking to the local shop and getting another.

You also do not want to show it at the border crossings. (Yes roamed Africa). I would do alot more reading on travelling through Africa. It is quite complicated.

Take a quantity of expensive looking pens that are cheap. We took pens that had a digital clock in them. At the border crossing fill out the paperwork and slide both the pen and the paperwork accross the desk. You will get accross the border quicker but only the paperwork will come back. Take some yellow T shirts as well, they love anything yellow but not white.
AnswerID: 494515

Sponsored Links