10 days to go!

Submitted: Monday, Sep 10, 2012 at 21:46
ThreadID: 97949 Views:2246 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,
In just 10 days, Kim, Will (10 YO) and I (Rob), are off on our first "real camping trip", departing from Melbourne, we are off for just over 8 weeks for a trip to Coober Pedy, Kings Canyon, Darwin, Cooktown & back to Melbourne.

We are tenting it, driving a 2WD Passat diesel wagon, towing a 7 x 4 box traile and plan on staying mostly on the bitumen.

So far, we have booked into Renmark for 2 nights then plan on heading across to Mt. Remarkable Nat. park for a couple of nights and then onto Coober Pedy.
Previous camping has been for max 5 nights so a couple of months will test both our set-up, equipment and resolution.

Having 5 kids, camping wasn't an option for us in the early days but lately, Kim, Will & I have been camping about a dozen time in the last couple of years, enjoying it more & more.

We have pretty good gear - Southern Cross tent, Engel fridge, Thumper battery pack, Weber BBQ, Drifta Kitchen and recently bought a lock up box trailer to carry it all. We've named the trailer "Matilda", (sign written on the tailgate " Waltzing around Australia with Matilda") so if you see us on the road, give us a shout or, if we're camping, pop over for a beer.

Places that we plan on seeing are The breakaways, Uluru, Kings Canyon, Devils Marbles, Mataranka, Litchfield, Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine, Hughenden, Undara, Cooktown, Cape Trib., Airley Beach, Sapphire, Agnes waters and then back to Melbourne.

We are self contiained for 2-3 days before we run out of power, but can always go for a quick drive to charge the battery. Any recommendations for places to stay, sites to visit on our trip are most welcome.

Cheers & Beers
Rob, Kim & Will
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 09:30

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 09:30
Good luck with the trip guys. Hope you have a ton of fun.

You'll certainly find out if you like it and what works and does not work by the time you are finished.

All the best, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494678

Follow Up By: rnrphantom - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:01

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:01
Thanks Bruce,
Looking forward to experience free camping and explore this wonderful land of ours.

Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 770331

Reply By: wato35 - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:31

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:31
Hi Rob, Kim & Will

Have a great trip, as I am sure you will. Its a great country. My 2 cents worth is to talk to other campers to find out about local site seeing and road conditions etc.
Also, you will need to check the trailer bearings a couple of times. If its a new trailer the bearing will need to be checked after a few days, as they sometimes need to settle in.
Even though you will be on the black stuff most of the time, its can be a very long way to the next town.

Wato
AnswerID: 494757

Follow Up By: rnrphantom - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:57

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:57
Thanks Wato,
Will definitely be talking to other campers to get ideas on sightseeing as well as camping places along teh way.
Have only done 280kms with the trailer loaded and planning on doing the wheel bearings just before we go.

Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 770404

Sponsored Links