Outback in a Vitara ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 980 Views:2255 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We're planning to drive from Sydney to Broome and back, and we'd like to use some of the more interesting roads such as the Gibb River and the Tanami. My question is will our little 93 Vitara Auto JLX handle these roads (and also the distance) ? If so is there anything we can do to improve the suspension to help prevent us and the car getting shaken to pieces ? If you don't think a Vitara will survive the trip can you recommend another small 2nd hand 4wd that we could trade up to ? Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: All Terrain 4WD Adventures - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
Andrew,

I have one question for you before I comment on yours. May I ask have you taken any/many short escapes from where ever you live into rough country in you current vehicle fully loaded with gear and if so how did you go. Was the vehcile up to the test, was the vehicle underpowered in you opinion, did you have accessories on board like fridges, radios etc. I am basically saying if you are considering taking your present 4wd on a long trip are you happy with all that it can do on the short trips. Let me know some more info. Stuart
AnswerID: 2906

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Stuart, Yes you got it in one - we haven't had the car long so haven't done that much. A few local trips, and we went out to Lightning Ridge (from Sydney) a while ago and that was OK but the roads are mostly pretty good around there so it wasn't too uncomfortable and the lack of power wasn't much of a problem. We weren't carrying much fuel or water though. So, yes we're happy enough with the car and it'll fit in all we want to take, but I'm obviously quite concerned about its performance and reliability on the long outback tracks.
FollowupID: 1135

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Andrew,

People have done this sort of trip in a Model T Ford, so the answer is “Yes” your Vitara is up to the job.

Whether YOU are up to sitting in a Vitara for that length of time is another matter of course, and AT has made a valid point about the shorter trips.

How much experience do you actually have?

If the answer is “Not a lot” then can I suggest you take yourself and your Vitara onto a training course, or join a 4WD club where you will get lots of advice and assistance in making sure that everything will be up to scratch.

Good luck.

Joe

AnswerID: 2912

Reply By: Phil - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Andrew I drove a Suzuki sierra from Sydney to Cooktown to Weipa across to Broome and back via the Gibb River road and the Tanami Desert without any problems except a few flats. I did a similar trip a few years later in a Nissan Pathfinder and car nearly fell to pieces. Just be sensible about what you take, dont push it to hard and don't get yourself into a situation you can't get yourself out of. In other words go easy big fella and you will bleep it in.
AnswerID: 2931

Sponsored Links