Sahara Landcruiser FOUND!!!!

Submitted: Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:39
ThreadID: 98067 Views:3498 Replies:14 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
6 long days after our cruiser departed our garage, I recieved a phone call from a tilt tray operater to inform me that he had our beloved Landcruiser was on board and he was taking her to a storage facility at Dutton Park . She was located at Forest Lakes having completed a 600 kilometer journey in a 3 day period avoiding all tollways. She has sustained about $5000 worth of damage by running over some large obsticles/rocks/chicains.
We were able to view the landcruiser In the lock up, and in the rear of the cruiser were 4 acetaline bottles of gas, so not sure what the intensions were for these bottles. Vehicle is being impounded for finger printing and is currently the victim of a crime scene.
It appears that my investigations into JLO's theft may have opened a can of worms into an organised car theft racket.
I would like to personally thank all those that replied with expressions of sympathy and support and I know that there were many ExploreOz members that went out of there way to search for our vehicle.
Thank you for your efforts, they were truly appreciated.

The morale to the story is to treat your car keys as if they are worth $10,000 in cash. Dont leave them on the kitchen bench, you would not leave that amount of cash exposed as such.

Car theft from home garages/ driveways is where the majority of all car theft now happens, gone are the days of having your car stolen from the shopping center. Thieves now target evey home, as the occupants lower there security awareness...... And the stats are now overwhelming! Dont think it wont happen to you.... As I did.
Thanks again from one very lucky Landcruiser owner

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:46

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:46
Sounds like a good outcome.

Also $5K of damage is far better than a burnt out shell. And 4 cylinders of acetylene??? Sounds like something serious was about to go one.

Hope you get the Sahara back soon,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495077

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:47

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:47
Hi Jibs, What area did this occur without giving too much away? The gas bottles are a worry, perhaps some cutting was planned, some sort of robbery or break in? Glad you got your cruiser back and hope insurance is in place to restore it to it's rightful condition.
AnswerID: 495078

Reply By: Honky - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 13:26

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 13:26
Isn't acetaline used fo rblowing up ATM's?
Then they reverse the 4WD into the shop and drag it out
Sounds like there may have been a robbery close by.

Honky
AnswerID: 495085

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 19:33

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 19:33
Honky - pretty close to the mark I'd say - definitely sounds like an ATM smash & grab.

Buggers did this to a bank branch in North Sydney when I worked there - used gas to blow open the ATM - demolished most of the bank branch and the shops either side....
FollowupID: 770754

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 14:59

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 14:59
Happy for ya mate. Glad to see ya got it back with not too much damage. Hope the thieves meet a miserable end!!
AnswerID: 495090

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 20:48

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 20:48
So happy you got it back & not a burnt out shell either.
Funny you mention being careful with keys... after waiting about 3 months for my new 70 series landcruiser, on the first evening bringing it home (my baby) I sat in the verandah admiring it in the carport... then went inside leaving the keys on the table on the veranda. about 3 metres from the car. found the keys (with car still there) the next morning.
FollowupID: 770856

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 15:44

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 15:44
Lucky people. Time to buy a lottery ticket.

We have an alarm that you can close off the main bedroom and ensuite and alarm the rest of the house. Including infrared videos triggered by any movement that has a mass greater than our cats.

It helps us sleep at night.

Phil
AnswerID: 495092

Reply By: mean4b - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 16:26

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 16:26
I'm happy for ya jibs.I got mine back this weekend just a shell all that hard work and $$$ gone custom wheels,winch,lockers lights all camping gear the works.Parked in my driveway ready to go camping Belive me I know how it feels. Gq ute Avondale heights area
AnswerID: 495095

Reply By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 19:19

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 19:19
Great to see it will be home soon where it belongs,Hope the Police catch these Ar#%^$$^^6 & the courts gives a long time behind Bars.
AnswerID: 495110

Reply By: River Swaggie - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 20:35

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 20:35
Thats great news mate,5k of damage is nothing in the grand scheme of things...

I'm happy for ya...Is that her new nickname JLO.....lmao

All The Best
AnswerID: 495121

Reply By: Kimba10 - Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 21:47

Monday, Sep 17, 2012 at 21:47
""The morale to the story is to treat your car keys as if they are worth $10,000 in cash."" Mate Id rather leave them on the bench and let them take the keys and what ever else they want then have them in the bedroom with me and some low life piece of bleep come in and belt me and the wife over the head with an iron bar just to get keys. Its insured let them take it, not worth your life or the wifes or kids etc. Extremely glad you got it back and only minimal damage. Still a bunch of pricks who ever took it. Should get off their arse and get a job instead of touching other peoples stuff, bunch of low life oxygen wasting thieves......Hope it all gets back to normal for you now.........................................and the courts ha, there a friggin joke, will get a slap on the wrist for been naughty boys
AnswerID: 495125

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 15:38

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 15:38
Yep. i'm with you Kimba. let 'em take it. I'd be more pissed if they left the garage door open and the dog got out.
The car / laptop / camera / phone isn't important. It's insured. Let it go.

Steve
FollowupID: 770828

Reply By: pickle - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:13

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:13
I was reading yesterday on NewTriton.Net how a guy got his Triton stolen, same thing with entering the house and grabbing the keys. Getting brazen aren't they?.
Dave
AnswerID: 495135

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:31

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:31
You say "Dont leave them on the kitchen bench"...... how did they get access to your kitchen bench...... forced entry or via an unlocked door/window?

Over here in Adelaide on the News not a week goes by where someone entered a house by an unlocked door/window stealing keys and then the car.

AnswerID: 495138

Reply By: lizard - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:28

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:28
Yep leave keys on the bench , with wallet & mobile phone , normal locking of doors etc .... otherwise they will bash you & missus ..... and the courts will let them go anyway (cause of their deprived childhood) ....
AnswerID: 495144

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 07:57

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 07:57
$30 Bunnings safe. If I don't take my keys with me they go in there. Digital keypad so very quick to use
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 495217

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:04

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:04
Very glad to hear your news!
We had my handbag and keys stolen while we slept but the thieves were interrupted before they could get the cars - jumped off verandah and got away in a waiting car. They were very organised. Apparently pushed a small kid through a dog door to open up! They hit several homes in our area. Cost us a heap to get car and house locks changed - it cost just over the excess for each car and the house! Insurance company insisted that all three policies were involved even though it was a house burglary.
So don't make it easy for these low life gangs! Police warned us that most people are easy targets because they always keep keys in an obvious place like the bedside drawer or hall table. We decided on a place that would not be obvious for keys and wallet and handbag and stick to it now. It has become a habit. The dog door now has a security screen! As police said, these gangs have a simple target and they want to be in and out quickly while you sleep and take the cars with them. They won't spend time hunting through the house. Works for us now! Lynne
AnswerID: 495219

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:42

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:42
Did you give the dog a key to the security screen?
FollowupID: 770899

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:47

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:47
Sorry! I used the wrong word. Our dog door is actually a floor level sash window key locked open to make a 6" gap. We never thought anyone could wriggle through but we were wrong! It is still locked open but now it boasts a flash little set of security bars with a 6" gap just big enough for one small dog! The dog feels quite important! Lynne
FollowupID: 770908

Sponsored Links