What's the best choice of caravan park in Darwin?

Submitted: Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:17
ThreadID: 98213 Views:2426 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi We are permanent tourists and are looking at staying in Darwin next July. Just wondering how your experiences have been there. How is the humidity at that time of year etc. We are keenish cyclists so long as it's reasonably flat. Any input/ideas gratefully received.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 16:32

Monday, Sep 24, 2012 at 16:32
Hi Graeme
Question is how far out of town do want to stay, our choice is Free Spirit 20min out, on the Stuart Highway & less then 5min to Palmerston shops and a great bike track just outside the gate to Howard Springs or town. Malak & KAO Mmmm. Lee Point if you don't mind the midgies. Shady Glen and Hidden Valley are closer but airport noise. No humidity in July it's best time of the year to be there so you better book well ahead of time because it's flat out then. Enjoy your time in Darwin we did for 35years.
Cheers
Rick P

AnswerID: 495551

Follow Up By: Member - Graeme Jesse - Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:31

Tuesday, Sep 25, 2012 at 07:31
Thanks Olred
We were wondering if the residential suburbs around the parks are better than others. How long do you think its worth a look for travellers.
We'll probably go with Free Spirit or Hidden Valley. I've read some reviews on free Spirit and it sounds like if you get a bad site its bad so we might try our luck there I guess. Our van is 24' are the standard sites reasonably sized or will we end up on the edges somewhere?
Thanks for your input to date.
Cheers
Graeme
FollowupID: 771203

Follow Up By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:27

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:27
Hi Graeme
They do have an area out the back for bigger vans and motorhomes and also away from the highway noise at F/S, never been into Hidden Valley but it looks like a smaller park from just driving past. There are no houses around F/S or H/V, it's all industrial. A week in Darwin is a minimum if you want to have a look around, off course you have to be there on a Thursday for he Mindil Sunset Markets and you must do Crocosaurus Cove, Mitchell St in the city. Fish Feeding, the Museum, East Point Military Museum, the Aircraft Museum, the Wave Pool at the waterfront just to mention a few and we haven't even started on Litchfield or Kakadu. www.tourismtopend.com.au is a good start as well. At least you are not leaving all this till the last minute, but remember to book ahead as I said it's very busy that time of the year.
Cheers
Rick P
FollowupID: 771396

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 16:51

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 16:51
as for bike riding I did a bit there this july, the city is very flat

there are some good coastal bike rides/walks around the dripstone cliffs / nightcliff beach way

this year humidity was way down and they had some of the coolest weather theve had

people were talking about needing a heated pool in the city because water temps were at 20 deg (I wetn for a swim and concluded top enders are softer than jelly as the pool was as warm as any outdoor perth pool in the middle of summer)
AnswerID: 495833

Sponsored Links