Camping sites southern coastline from WA to Vic

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 20:23
ThreadID: 98263 Views:1935 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we will be returning from Perth to Sydney, via the southern edge (where practicable). I am looking for suitable camp sites for two adults in a Nissan Patrol, We would prefer stays two nights each? Please advise you best options for camping and site seeing. Thanks, Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 21:04

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 21:04
Hi PC - Are you looking for serviced campsites or bush camping? The Eyre Peninsular is well worth a detour. When you get to WA do you want to go to Esperance via the highways or short cut to the coast east of Esperance? Do you want to follow the coast in WA or go directly to Perth? More questions than answers at this stage.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 495710

Reply By: Nickywoop - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 21:18

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 21:18
Long Trip!

When you get to the SE area in SA , friends, (travellers) have told us to free camp in SE -SA at Tantanoola. Country town, opposite the Pub (the Tiger).
Free rainwater, dump point & real beatiful country community.
They intended to stay one night, but stayed 10 days.

All safe, left there camping gear behind & travelled the area.

They seen V8 Landcruisers outside the pub with the keys stiil in the igntion.
Maybe the dorgs that were sitting on the tray were the watch dogs,

Our friends loved the little safe community, hope to get there one day
The pub (Tiger) is one of the iconic Aussies pubs listed.

Scales
AnswerID: 495711

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 21:33

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012 at 21:33
The Tantanoola cave was very interesting - all those delicate straws and such a fascinating cavern hidden in a small limestone hill.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 771311

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 07:09

Thursday, Sep 27, 2012 at 07:09
Cape Le Grande NP is a very spectacular place on the coast, east of Esperance.

Also agree that you should include Eyre pen. in your route.

Alan
AnswerID: 495724

Reply By: Leanne M - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:02

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:02
If you are looking for free camping, Perlubie Beach near Streaky Bay in South Australia, Eyre Peninsula region, has toilets/limited facilities, also Sheringa Beach which is south of Elliston are both good spots. If it is caravan parks you are after, the Streaky Bay caravan park is right on the foreshore, handy to the main drag, clean & owners friendly. Also Elliston Caravan park, Coffin Bay Caravan park are both good spots to base yourselves for a couple of days to sightsee. We "did" the Eyre Peninsula about 2 years ago with a mix of park stays and bush camps, there is plenty to see and do if you have the time to take the coast road.
AnswerID: 495808

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 16:26

Friday, Sep 28, 2012 at 16:26
Hi PC, how long do you intend on spending getting back to Sydney? There are a multitude of fantastic spots on the south coast of WA between Augusta and Israelite Bay that would take weeks to explore before you even get to SA!

AnswerID: 495830

Reply By: PC1958 - Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 21:10

Sunday, Sep 30, 2012 at 21:10
Thanks for the responses. We hope to free camp as much as possible, we are also carry everything we need, so not to keen on caravan sites, the more remote the better. We will spend around two weeks getting from Yatala to mt gambier, maybe?
AnswerID: 495964

Sponsored Links