Schematic for Water Pipes

Submitted: Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 22:03
ThreadID: 98353 Views:5958 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all
We have a 2010 Jayco Discovery with shower, toilet water heater etc and I would dearly like a schematic of the plumbing. It surprises me that so little information is given out with new vans. The other issue is that I cannot find any drain cocks for the tanks. I was just about to clamber under it with a sketch pad and thought one of you folks might have already done so. Anyone able to assist?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 23:49

Monday, Oct 01, 2012 at 23:49
Not all Discoveries have the same layout. Unless someone has an identical model theirs is likely to be different. I also would not guarantee that there are not changes made during the production life of the model. Best you pick up your sketch pad and head back out there.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496028

Follow Up By: Keith Q - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 00:04

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 00:04
Peter, It would not surprise me at all if there are no two the same! However, if someone has done it before, it will give me somehere to start. I'll get on the creeper and go under and check it. I dont understand how the tanks are connected and I aim to find out. I also dont like mysteries, especially if they might one day need solving miles from home! It's mind boggling that so little information was provided with a new van. Thanks for the reply all the same.
FollowupID: 771639

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 12:02

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 12:02
Hi Keith,

Here is a simplified schematic I have drawn for you. Of course there is no telling, till you get under the vehicle, just where each pipe is routed.
Take some electrical tape with you, red and black or blue and tape each line accordingly as you find and follow them. Once you have done that you can lay back and take it all in

Van water service

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 496047

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 12:25

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 12:25
I have converted the file to a JPEG image so we will see if this works.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771658

Follow Up By: Keith Q - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 17:58

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 17:58
Bruce, Brilliant! Thanks a ton for this. (I think you have done this kind of thing before!) There has to be a feed from a high pressure outside source ie nearby tap, and a pressure switch in there somewhere, but what a good place to start. And there will be a pair of isolating valves for the tanks in there too.
Once I have been under the van and followed them all through, would you like me to send you the amended sketch?
Keith
FollowupID: 771667

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 18:32

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 18:32
Hi Keith,
No it is OK mate. I am a retired plumber so I know what is what in regard to water services and I own a Jayco Sterling so I know the drill.

I could have included all the valves and whatever in the drawing but it is difficult to know what detail is needed and it is best to leave somethings to be worked out sometimes.

By the way Keith, how much trouble do you have filling your water tanks. Do they gurgle and spit back at you during the filling process. Do you have to fill slowly or you get a bath??.

Hope I have been of some help.
Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771670

Follow Up By: Keith Q - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 23:28

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2012 at 23:28
Bruce, I had similar difficulties. I could not manage to fill the tanks on a caravan site but a helpful veteran Jayco owner showed me how. One has to jam the hose into the filler holes a depth of about 150mm. Then the tanks will fill quite quickly. Trying to fill them from a water container is hopeless. The water wont go in. And if you dont stick the pressure hose in far enough, you will get a bath, because it just squirts out Mind you that can get you a bit of a laugh, provided you are not the one holding the hose!
I hope this helps.
I still dont have as good an understanding of the system as I would want, but your schematic will get me onto the right track!
In spite of the minor difficulties, we love the van!
FollowupID: 771685

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 19:23

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 19:23
I usually fill up at home with tank water before leaving on a trip but it is gravity fed. I can fill with pressure but it is a little less convenient to get at.
I have been under the van but cannot find any reason why it should be so difficult except for hollows in the vent lines which sometimes trap water and slow down the breathing. The breathers are a little small in diameter as well. Had the same problem on our previous van, a Gazal Champion. Similar tanks as well.

But if that is all the problems we have then we are way out in front.
Yeah we love our van as well. Heaps of room in the beast.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 771722

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 21:54

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 21:54
Hi Keith. I have a 2010 Sterling outback and I have converted my tank filling system to mains pressure filling. I bought my van at 5 mths old and was horrified to see the amount of algea in the original pipes,both fillers and breathers.
I was able to remove the original tank fittings and source replacements from reece plumbing to enable the connection of pressure pipe and fittings sourced from Coast to Coast RV (Jayco owned) i am currently travelling around Wentworth but can take some photos if you require.
I have also fitted a twin element horizontal filter just after the pressure reducing valve. Cheers,Bob
AnswerID: 496120

Follow Up By: Keith Q - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 23:04

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2012 at 23:04
Hello Bob, Its great to find so many folks happy to help. As soon as I can, I'm going to get under the van and take a good look to see what I've got. And with Bruce's schematic as a guide I'll try to get it all on a sketch pad...and I'll look out for Algae! If I find any, I'll get back to you for some pics. Thanks again Bob
Keith
FollowupID: 771738

Sponsored Links