Viscount Caravans

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 22:01
ThreadID: 9870 Views:11029 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Any comments on Viscount Caravans? Especially the newer off road ones. Also, any experience with roof-mounted air conditioners in pop-top vans? Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:21

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 14:21
Hi Jonty
i thought viscount caravans had closed down in 1997.
If they havn't can you tell me where they are!
Cheers Tim
AnswerID: 43670

Follow Up By: Jonty - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 18:27

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 18:27
Hi Tim,
Kedron Caravans in Brisbane sell the on road ones(they sell there own brand of off road-conflict of interrest) and Ipswitch Caravan Center sell both on and off road.We are looking at a off road. Any comments, good or bad from anyone would be appreciated.
Cheers
John
FollowupID: 305936

Reply By: William - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 18:30

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 18:30
buy a domestic aircon and stick it under the bed and make a cowl and trap door in the floor
costs less than half to fit and no weight up top
AnswerID: 43711

Reply By: fourby - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 19:20

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 19:20
Jonty,
Viscount caravans are now in production in Sydney,Heck Mckenzie at Bayswater in Vic is our local agent.
I bought about production number 86,and the number of finishing faults was a disgrace.
I thought it would be the Viscount of old,no frills but well built.
Not the case,apparently someone has bought the Name and is starting up from scratch.
My van was refused upon delivery as the door was jamming,within two hrs the whole door frame had to be removed and refitted.
The following faults then became obvious on our first usage-
Vinyl floor coverings bubbled.
Fly screens( glued on) fell off.
Brake cables were rubbing through copper gas line.
Penetrations through floor were unsealed.
Screw covers continually fell off.
Locks on screen door had oversized holes allowing locks to fall out.
Seal on pop top becomes detached at corners.
Front widow cover had no rubber seal fitted at all.
Rubber seal keeps coming out of door window.
Annex awning not sealed properly,allowing water under.
The van structure itself,chassis etc seems about industry standard,the price is competitive,but the final finish lets the whole van down.
Mckenzies reckon they have a new supervisor now, etc,etc (you have heard it before) I chose to fix the van myself,as anyone who would let it go as it was would not fix it to my satisfaction!
now with about 40 hrs of fiddling about I am satisfied.
If you intend to buy one make a detailed inspection before acceptance.
Regards
AnswerID: 43714

Reply By: STAN - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:25

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 22:25
Viscount is now manufactured in Sydney By the firm that went broke[ did a moonlight] making Gazel caravans . As for HECK & PETER MCKENZIE at Bayswater they seem OK when you are buying , but don't want to know you after you drive the new van out the yard. Don't expect after sales service . I had to send the van back to Sydney for warantee work and then they only did half of the work . Pinched my sink and stero system and burnt a hole in the pop top. At least I got my van back after 2 months wait , others were not as fortunate. No folks I would not risk a deal with Gazel [now Viscount ] Again. Stan
AnswerID: 43737

Reply By: Jonty - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 19:30

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 19:30
Hi, Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply. I guess its back to the drawing board. Lucky we are not in a hurry
Thanks again
Jonty
AnswerID: 43830

Sponsored Links