Re - Fuel Consumption

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 23:27
ThreadID: 9875 Views:2114 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Just thought you might be interested in the fuel consumption figures for my recent little jaunt around outback SA. (Yes it was a tad hot)

Vehicle is a 5 month old Toyota Troopcarrier 78 series 4.2 Turbo Diesel.
Tyres BFG All Terains LT265/75R16.
Two adults and all the usual campling gear/fridge etc 100 litres of water 180 litres diesel, roof rack etc.
I have broken the figures down for each section, just to make it interesting.
I did a bit of touring between refilling the tanks so it was not just an outback trip.

Melb - Adelaide 13.77 L/P 100km.
Adelaide - Port Augusta 13.08 L/P 100km.
Port Augusta - Lyndhust 13.81 L/P 100km.
Lyndhurst - Innamincka 14.22 L/P 100km.
Innamincka - Birdsville 17.19 L/P 100km.
Birdsville - Poeppel Corner - Birdsville 18.99 L/P 100km. (12 hour Day Trip)
Birdsville - Port Augusta 17.12 L/P 100km.
Port Augusta - Melbourne 13.82 L/P 100km.

All up a touch over 6000 KM and average fuel consumtion overall 14.88 L/P 100km.
I did not think that this was to bad at all, considering the heat and the vehicle is not fitted with an intercooler and they tell me the heat will have had an affect on performance.

It amazed me how much a head wind added to the consumption figures, Innamincka to Birdsville was via the Arrabury Rd and Haddons Corner and pushed a strong northerly for most of it.
Birdsville to Port Augusta was pushing head on the southerly cool change that was most welcome.

Only one punture which occured out back of Blinman in the Flinders Ranges on the PAR'S.
Stone through crown, I had deflated tyres to about 28 psi on the rear probably still not enough.
The Gibbers on the Arrabury Rd knocked the rear tyres around with quite a lot of chips out of the treads, Birdsville Auto Guys said not much you can do about it, all tyres cope a real hiding on these roads.

No hassles with temperature on the Toyota the Temp gauge stayed perfect all the way and ambient temps where up to 55 degrees at Innamincka.

Regards
John

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AndrewX - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 00:32

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 00:32
They sound about right for a diesel troopy John and you have every reason to be happy with them. I must say on first reading I thought the 3 sections involving Birdsville were a bit high but I suppose the wind might explain that - so much for all the people who claim that their diesel always gives Xl/100 no matter what the conditions. People like you who calculate fuel consumption accurately show that they do vary albeit not as much variation as with petrol but there is a variance. My TD Prado varies from 11-13.5l/100, despite the fact that some say they "always use 12l/100"
AnswerID: 43611

Follow Up By: John - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 00:54

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 00:54
Hi Andrew
The issues around Birdsville should be considered in specific light.
The Innaminka to Birdsville was in somewhat deflated tyres over very rough roads, these roads are not flat with up hill sections prevelent.
Also the head wind and the fact that the short excursion from the main road to Haddons Corner return is over a number of small sand dunes also infulenced the figures.
I was also diriving at 90 to 110km/ph for most of this section.

Birdsville to Poepells return is covering the likes of Big Red both Westwards and Eastwards as well as the rest of the slog, generally 2 or 3rd High range for most of it at around 20 to 30 km/ph with tyres at about 18psi in very high temperatures.
Because its out of season the tops of the dunes had some pretty stiff ridgebacks developed on the top requiring the Troopy to breakthrough.

Birdsville south as said the head wind was on the nose at about 20 to 25 knots virtally all the way.

I could have said that the troopy uses 14.5 L/P 100km and left it at that but I did think that it was more interesting to watch the variances that occured due to the variety of conditions that applied over such a large distance 6000km.

I have found that with no load around the city the girl runs at about 13 L/P 100km so heavy load and the other factors make it interesting.

Regards
John
FollowupID: 305846

Reply By: Member - Ken - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 16:43

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 16:43
Afternoon John

Your figures are very interesting indeed, as I have a 1997 1H75 (Aftermarket Turbo) which weighs in around 3.5t when fully loaded.

I did a very similar trip in July 03 - Melb, Broken Hill, Tibooburra, Innaminka via Bore track, Birdsville via Cordillo Downs, Poepells Cnr., Hawker, Berri, Melb.

Prior to putting the turbo on the wind used play havoc with the Fuel consumption and overall powere/speed thing.

However, since the Turbo it will average about 13L/100Kms when driven under 100Kph, and about 15L/100Kms when driven between 100-120Kph on the open road. Wind doesn't have much effect now unless it is a tail wind.

Your figures from Innaminka to Augusta are eye opening to say the least. Makes me wonder if it is a heat related thing after all.

I can remember quite clearly that I only used half of my reserve tank (70L full) to go from Birdsville down to the Mungerannie Pub via Poepells Cnr. which I thought was excellent.

Anyway I posted a couple of followups on this issue at 8780 & 7794 if you are interested.

Regards

Ken Robinson

AnswerID: 43692

Sponsored Links