PointPlace - Plot Swap update

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 20, 2004 at 23:13
ThreadID: 9904 Views:1719 Replies:6 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have been working on Plot Swap in PointPlace and can now tell you that the upload and map production components are complete. There is also the ability to download the plot (.plt) files (for the file owner and members). I am now finishing the ability to download the OziExplorer geo-referenced map and the printable map. Once this system part is finalised then the plot swap system will be 100% live.

After PlotSwap I will be working on waypoints and adding the ability to add waypoints to the Plot Maps. This will make the mapping content richer and provide more detail. It still grows and looks better all the time.

BTW: I will be producing a dynamic downloadable UHF repeater map for all users as part of the sample data. All UHF repeaters and other available POI's will be included in the maps produced in Plot Swap.

OK now for the usage rules that we have decided on:
Members will receive 200 Point Place credits as part of membership. Plot and map downloads will be available to members and the file uploader (uploading your own plots for the production of geo-referenced maps will be at no charge) who have enough credits to download the content. Currently most plot files are 15 credits and map files are around 30 credits (based on distance and accuracy). We will be adding the ability for members to purchase more credits in the near future (either by transfer of MemberMoney or purchase).

Some of the future additions include the ability to use credits to download route files and waypoints for various locations, treks & POI's. The list goes on and on.

We will be releasing a Members Newsletter in the near future talking about these added Member Benifits. If you are not a member you can still download plots and maps for the data you upload so you can get a sample of the system without joining however to unlock the full system you will need to be a current ExplorOz Member. Another great reason to join the growing Members System - see the Membership Application Now. NOTE: These updates are so new that they are not yet updated in the members rewards and benefits documentation.

Enjoy and please provide any feedback on this new system. All users can participate so check out the Plot Swap System Now - 35 plots currently loaded as at time of writing this post.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:50

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:50
Hi David,

Just submitted mine... these plt pages are going to get pretty big quickly I would say. Might need to break it down into regions and then alphabetical? Sure it is on your to do list. Nice feature.~
AnswerID: 43774

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:57

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:57
Also, where is it in the menu system. Maybe not implemented in the menu yet? Should be in the Trip Planning menu?

How about a 'number of times downloaded' tag for each of the Plot Files?

Cheers.~
FollowupID: 306014

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:25

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:25
Yes to your first Q and yes to your second. I was not only going to count but also allow rating and comments.

To your first Q - I am going to write a lookup system based on two lookups an ExplorOz Region and also a mouse click on the map of Australia. This should solve any lookup issues (I hope). I agree the list will be long but I have to start with something - Wish I had the ability to wait till everything was 100% but then I may fall into the trap of not getting it right and using user feedback to assist. Thanks for this feedback I will be doing this.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 306034

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:27

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:27
Oh yeah the menu - yeah Trip Planning is a good choice - I will also be adding links in each of the TrekNotes (to the waypoints and plots system), I was also thinking of maybe it should be it's own menu item (Not sure if I have the space) I will see what I come up with - Maybe also the Navigation Topic Search pages.

Thanks for this feedback also!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 306035

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:46

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:46
David, this idea of sharing trip notes seems like a terrific idea. It's largely gobbledygook to me but I'm keen to get up to speed on GPS use etc. Is there anywhere that runs courses or is this a "get out there & experiment" type thing
AnswerID: 43779

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:26

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:26
www.gpsoz.com.au run courses regularly if you are in Sydney.

If you have a GPS, it is first a matter of playing around and getting to know the features. Best to do this before you do a course as it is going to be more benefical.

There is a good book in the Exploroz shop that deals with basics. I think a few on here have commented before that it is great for beginers.

Link to book -> GPS Vehicle Navigaiton by Boiling Billy Publications - $24.45
~
FollowupID: 306023

Follow Up By: Bitsumishin - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:31

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:31
Thanks Wazza. Unfortunately, I'm over here in WaitAwhile (WA). I don't have any trouble using the GPS to find waypoints etc, it's just setting up tracks & sending them to the PC when I get home. I had considered buying that book but thought it might be only the really basic use rather than track plotting etc.
FollowupID: 306029

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:30

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:30
Guys,

I may be able to assist - I hope in time to be able to write some technical documents on these subjects and post them on the site. Have you had a look at the Navigation Topic Search area - this is where these new articale will appear - There are a few already but these may not give you the full answers - maybe we could start a course in Perth or something. Would depend on numbers but this is not impossible.

Let me know what you think or find.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 306036

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:33

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:33
Oh and remember it is more than trip notes it will be the maps also. I love the mapping thing that I have been build if you cannot tell. I expect to have a better dataset comming soon I just have to work out how much this is going to cost.

BTW: I know why maps and GPS maps are expensive it is the price of the base data files that this stuff is built using - talk about a rip off. Anyway I am looking into all of this so hopefully ExplorOz will be able to provide accurate detailed digitial maps on demand. More soon.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 306037

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 13:03

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 13:03
Absoutely stunning David. No doubt a lot of work for you though. I hope it pays off.

I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 306041

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 14:42

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 14:42
Ray,

I am hoping to complete the mapping download today (maybe tomorrow) will you be up to testing this with me. You will only need to download a few and make sure they work. Work will mean load the .map file in OziExplorer and then view the plot over the top of the system created map - this will be a really cool function. I just need to make sure that my maps and referencing data is correct.

I hope it pays off also - I have added this so that everyone can play and upload/download their own data & maps however to gain full access you really need to be a member and use the membership included credits. BTW: I am thinking of making the credit refil cost around $10 for 200 credits should be fair enough I hope. I really want to increase membership and this is just another good reason for people to join. So as at today all Members have already received $10 worth of PointPlace credits for free - Enjoy people.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 306049

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 14:51

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 14:51
Yes David I will be able to do testing tomorrow. I'm off to work now where I have access to the forum but not oziexplorer or my maps.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 306050

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 14:52

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 14:52
Bitsumishin, I live in York WA if you are ever in the area or want to come up our way I have Oziexplorer and can run throu some basics with you I am no expert but have got a few in our club started with the system and uploading to the GPS contact me at work on 9641160099 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 43795

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:13

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:13
David I have just loaded another track ( Power lines ) It is still showing me as a visitor with my Pasword Pedro listed as name rather than my member name what am I doing wrong?99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 43802

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:18

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:18
Peter,

I am guessing that you are in fact logged in and can see the red bar at the top when you are submitting the plot file?

I have looked at the code and it looks for customer then member and if not one of these it goes visitor. I will check again!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 306055

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:22

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:22
Yes I am loged on , have the red bar with member name and number showing99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 306056

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:05

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:05
Try it now Peter I have adjusted the program.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 306060

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 17:44

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 17:44
No luck I am currently logged on but once I click on your link above to plot file index it shows me as a visitor still99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 43821

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:02

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:02
So you are indicating that the bar goes orange - I know you have your members profile configured on a URL such as www.exploroz.com.au and not www.exploroz.com - No problems I would suggest that you go to the link I provided and do a logoff and then logon using your profile on that site.

The reason for this is that your browsers stores cookies based on the site. ExplorOz has many different domains www.exploroz.com www.exploreoz.com www.exploroz.com.au and 4wdaustralia.com.au any of these (also without the www's) is a different browser cookie location so if you usually use a different one and click on a link somewhere you may be sent to a different one and your cookies may be different for that URL. So if you logoff and logon again then you will not have to worry about which site you visit as your system will have both stored for the correct user id. Does this make sense? Try it and see!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 306098

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:05
I have just added the full complement of Australian UHF repeaters to my mapping system so as you can see the data is getting better all the time. Now the maps will show you to local UHF repeaters to your plots. They are stored via the callsign - These are a three char designation followed by the channel number such as SYD07 - Sydney channel 07. Have a look you will see them appear on your maps. I will make sure these also appear on the dynamic treknote plots.

Enjoy - BTW: Map download has hit a little hold up I expect it to be finished tomorrow afternoon - I hope.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
AnswerID: 43834

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:21

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 23:21
David, we have done it I logged on at www.exploroz.com and now can get into the index as a member thanks , is it possable to change the name on the 2 tracks I have loaded to my member name as I will need all the credits I can get once I start down loading thanks again captain , a golly fine ship you have here99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 306133

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 04:53

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 04:53
David,
I have just had a look through the uploaded files and it looks very exciting. I just regret not logging the trips I have done in recent years. I wondered if there would be any value in also catering for Magellan DiscoverAus track files.Bob
FollowupID: 306137

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:21

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:21
Bob,

Can you email me a couple of files and I will see what format and I will create a track extraction for them also. I do intend to do all of the mapping/plotting products on the market if I can in fact read the data.

So if you havea few just email me direct as david@exploroz.com and I will see what I can do.

PS: I updated te mapping outputs last night with Michelle - she knows fonts and colours better than I so the current round of maps look much much better.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 306156

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)