old oil

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 14:58
ThreadID: 9909 Views:1655 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

after reading about oil service intervals I need to know, what do you do with your old oil?
I want to do my own changes & what should I do? I'm in Adelaide

Cheers Rowler (dave)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rowler - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:08

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:08
Thought that I might save you some time & reply to my own post as I have now found at least one free place...

Name of Company/Facility: Mulhern Waste Oil Removal Pty Ltd
Phone Number: Ph. 08 8244 4077
Type of Service Provided: Oil Recycler
Areas/Locations Covered:
Any Other Information: Waste oil and filters can be dropped off at the depot at no charge to be recycled. The product should be kept in its original container with the label intact for identification purposes.

This was from a Government website & there is a directory for each state

Cheers Rowler

AnswerID: 43800

Reply By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:09

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:09
Rowler,
Do a search on the SA EPA web site, they should have a list of who will take waste oil.
Another site is run by Planet Ark www.recyclingnearyou.com.au .
Hope this helps. if you were in Sydney i could give you heeeps of disposal options
Vince
AnswerID: 43801

Follow Up By: Rowler - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 15:11
Thanks Vince
FollowupID: 306054

Reply By: StephenF - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:51

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 16:51
Check with your local council. Mine (Tea Tree Gully) has regular days when you can take waste oil, old paint, chemicals etc. to a disposal point.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 43811

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:55

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 20:55
Use the oil on the fence posts...keeps the white ants at bay.....or put it on the driveway...keeps the dust down......or put back in the container and then in to the wheelie bin...or you can take it to a waste oil disposal place if you need to be politically correct or seen to be environmentally firendly. The waste oil people take the oil and sell it to manufacturers of rubber products who create more greenhouse gases in developing more products. Sometimes they resell the oil back to the oil companies who reconstitute it and it ends up being sold in Woolworths or other cheap shops and so the cycle continues....you can never get rid of atoms or matter for that matter.....Its your choice.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 43841

Follow Up By: David N. - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:35

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:35
Please don't just dump it.
It can badly contaminate ground water, streams, lakes etc.
And if it's rerefined and blended correctly it's as good as new- as you said you can't (easily) destroy atoms.
FollowupID: 306309

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:55

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 22:55
Just keep it untill you do your next trip to the tip, they usually have a waste oil collection area.

Or just pore it down the drain............just kidding !!!
AnswerID: 43880

Reply By: G.T. - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:07

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:07
I believe that all sellers of motor oil should be required by law to take back the old oil from the customer. A simple voucher system that issues a voucher at the point of sale would do the trick. However this would not happen as most of the oil sellers do not want to know about this. When in Sydney I was changing my oil approx every 12 weeks (doing 5000 km ) I used to buy my oil from a B.P. Servo and asked if they would take my old oil back. No prizes for guessing what their answer was !!
I was buying their semi synthetic diesel oil branded `Vanelis`which was in my eyes a premium oil and I considered my self to be a good customer as I purchased my diesel as well at times. Any way to cut a long story short I took my old oil which I had decanted back into an old oil container with me when I next visited them and left It on the forecourt by their pumps thus forcing them to dispose of my oil.
They had a workshop attached to the S/stn which had it`s own oil tank.
Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 44368

Sponsored Links