Not so Squishy? A 4WD to fit 3 adults across the back?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 16:41
ThreadID: 9955 Views:2052 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I've done a search but can't find anything that answers my question ... yeah, I'm probably not asking it the right way!! ;) We are looking for a solid 4WD that will fit 3 adults across the backseat - COMFORTABLY! Does any exist? Can you give me some ideas as to what models etc I should be looking for? Or should I be considering the concept of converting existing seating? We will be towing a home made camping trailor. Thanks, in great anticipation! :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 16:56

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 16:56
Which back seat ???

Might seem obvious but . . . . the very back seat as in the 3rd row , 7 or 8 seater , or across the middle row as in a 5 seater.
AnswerID: 43993

Follow Up By: flappan - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:02

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:02
I'll put something in anyway.

If your talking about the 3rd row of seats, the only vehicle I'm aware of that has that is the 100 Series Landcruisers. They have seating for 8. Not sure how comfortable 3 adults would be in the very back , but possible I would think.

Patrols and Prados only have 7 seats (I think the prado still only has 7 seats).

The Pajeros and Disco's etc , you wouldn't have a hope of fitting adults in the back.

The only other alternative would be a Troopy , but , "comfortable" and "Troopy" are 2 words that would go hand in hand. You would however, have plenty of "room" in a troopy to do this.
FollowupID: 306211

Follow Up By: Cazo - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:34

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:34
Ummm?

I know I told you I didn't ask it right!!!

The back seat - the one behind the driver. ...

I know some vehicles have the third row of seats - but are there any that you would like to sit in for few hours over rough roads???

Youre second answer was very helpful - thanks! I hadn't thought of a troopy - but then that does make sense.

Cazo
FollowupID: 306220

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 20:20

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 20:20
You can Get a Troopie in an rv model which has three seats in the back for a total of 5 seats! how comfortable the back three are ?????
But would have to be more comfortable than the 11 seat variation( a milk crate would be more comfortable). My only critisam is thet they are very expensive for what they are , about = to a curser wagon with extras!

Hope this helps
Brian
FollowupID: 306246

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:24

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:24
Patrol , Toyota or( Hummer) heheRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 43999

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:38

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 17:38
Bob you beat me to it, I was going to suggest the Humvee or any of the Ford yank tank range that will seat 34 kids across the back seat.Dare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 306222

Reply By: peterjday - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:31

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:31
Hi,
I have an ST GU Patrol and the kids hate the middle of the back seat because of the folded up armrests. Very comfortable on the sides but not for the third in the middle - alyhopugh you do get a good view out of the front window!

Peter
AnswerID: 44010

Follow Up By: Cazo - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:36

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:36
Then you know what is going through my mind!!!! The response for my question is fantastic - It gets my mind working on some different vehicles. You guys who mention your kids - What do you do about the problam - as that is what I am about to face!

We are planning another long trip (that's not the worry!) - it will be my 3 kids who will be feeling sore and sorry and keen to get out of the car! It's been 18 months since the last big trip and 2 kids are now too big for their carseats, the youngest doesn't have that much longer to go either! Then we'll have three little bottoms on seats that are hard and only designed for two big bottoms (and only for what can be comfortably managed for short durations!). At present the youngest sits on a booster seat on the "hump" in the middle. But we're are rapidly outgrowing our Subaru Liberty (dual range).

What do you do? Beside pulling over every hour to ease the pressure? I have thought of those air filled ring cushions for them to sit on.

Really I'd like to find a 4WD that will have an adult rated seat either in the middle of the backseat (behind the driver - not in the luggage space) or a 4WD that has an adult rated "dickie" seat right in the back???

It is a bother, as there is nothing worse than sore, grumpy kids and still a couple of hundred kms to go (in the middle of nowhere)

Maybe I should not be that worried and use it as an excuse to stop more often and take more time about the trip. But in all honsty I wouldn't like to be sitting in the back of most 4WD's even for short trips!

Cazo
FollowupID: 306289

Follow Up By: Roachie - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:24

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:24
My 3 boys must be a bit strange I reckon. We've got a GU wagon (ST). My boys are 8,6 & 3. The 3 y/o still sits in his baby seat next to the door behind me. The other 2 fight over who will sit in the middle.....they both want to!! We do some fairly serious distances and I'm one of those horrible bloody dads who doesn't like stopping once I'm on the road. We do try to stop every 2 hours or so, but they've NEVER complained about the seat being uncomfortable. They know the alternative is that I will simply pull up on the side of the road and invite them to exit the vehicle and complete their journey on foot!!
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 306307

Follow Up By: peterjday - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:26

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:26
Hi,
To provide more detail about the ST GU, my 'kids' are now 18, 16 and 11 although we travelled extensively when they were young. My wife and I rotate the driving and usually take a share of the back, giving the kids a go in the front every now and then. I like sitting in the middle back for the sake of the view but, for an adult, you need a cushion/blanket etc to provide extra padding. If I can, I leave one of the very back seats in so I only have two in the back to give every one more room.

My kids are tennis players so we travel a lot usually with camping gear and tennis bags etc. Over the years we have happily completed some big distances including Adelaide to Sydney in a day, Sydney to Port Douglas in 3 days, Alice to Sydney in 4 days, etc.

My tips are,

1. Don't have lots of small stops - they consume to much time. Have regular, meaningful stops where everyone goes to the toilet, has something to eat and has a play at a park or a walk or something.

2. Go to the ABC shop and buy the Harry Potter CD's or Tapes. One series will get you from Sydney return to Melboune. The kids will be asking - "when can I get back into the car".

3. Make sure the kids have their own space and gear to keep them occupied.

Regards,

Peter

FollowupID: 306338

Reply By: Peter Guy - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:44

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 18:44
Yes my kids don't like the sitting in the middle of the back seat in the ST GU Patrol either. OK for short trips though.
AnswerID: 44013

Reply By: Member - Eric- Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:36

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 21:36
I fit 3 adults in the back of my 80 series ,but the 100 is even better , its around 3 " wider Venus Bay
AnswerID: 44040

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:08

Thursday, Jan 22, 2004 at 23:08
F100,F150, F250,F350 can all accomodate 20 across the front seat, no need for back seats.

Troopy, Hummer, or Plastic 100 are about it in that order.
AnswerID: 44054

Sponsored Links