Currawinya NP

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 20:32
ThreadID: 99748 Views:1779 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Planning on heading to Currawinya in a couple of months when there is less chance of temps above 40. Does anyone know how much water if any, is still in lake Wyara?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 21:06

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 21:06
If it's any help (at all) I was there late October & there was plenty of water, along the track out to the main lakes also. The bird life was wonderful and the camp sites were quiet.

I was last there years ago when it was totally dry, covered in shells of dead tortoises & smelled bad - so this was lovely to see.

Have a great time there - it's a beautiful park.
Vicki
AnswerID: 501476

Reply By: john a1 (QL - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 23:10

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2013 at 23:10
i have just been speaking to a mate of mine who works at Currawinya and he said Lake WYARA is 65-75% and Lake NUMALLA is 75-80%...i worked on Caiwarro/Currawinya in the late 60,s and go back there when ever I can for a look about..usually camp on the Paroo at Caiwarro for a week or so and just have a poke round..no worries leaving your camp unattended etc..usually go April/May before it gets too cold and not too manypeople about.Hope this is of help,hooroo,Jack
AnswerID: 501486

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 00:58

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 00:58
Thanks folks. I have been to Currawinya a few times before. Once just before the end of the drought in 2009 and saw the country at its worst. Couldn't get in in 2010, still flooding. Went back again in 2011 just after the road was re opened to the lakes after the second or third floods. Wow, what a contrast. This year I plan to take the other half after convincing her of the worthiness of the trip. That's why I'm hoping there will still be water in Wyara and at least some of the bird life I saw there in 2011
FollowupID: 777653

Reply By: outback epicurean - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 19:08

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 19:08
Hi

We were there in July 12. Roads to lakes were closed due to flooding so lots of water then. We camped on the river behind the old homestead, had the area pretty much to our selves. Good fishing then.

Only problem was wild pigs everywhere, had made a terrible mess of the place.

While you are in the area, don't miss Eulo and take your other half to the mud baths/date farm/winery in the evening for a batch with a difference. Do it in the evening under the stars with a bottle of wine just great. By the way camping there either behind the pub (excellent) or free on the river just out of the town.

have fun
AnswerID: 501567

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 06:52

Saturday, Jan 05, 2013 at 06:52
Hi Justin, I believe autumn is the best time to visit our part of the world, the weather is usually perfect. Lake Wyara is abot 60% full in my opinion, still lots of water in it. The countryside is very, very dry though with many bushfires happening in the last 2 months. I don't think Currawinya has had a major fire yet. The birdlife in the area is still prolific. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 501700

Sponsored Links