Gascoyne Jnctn to Mt Augustus

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 14:33
ThreadID: 99765 Views:1819 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning to visit Kennedy NP and also travel from Gascoyne Jnctn to Mt Augustus in late May 2013. The options seem to be via 1) Ullawarra Rd, Cobra Gifford Ck Rd and Cobra Mt Augustus Rd; 2) Cobra Dairy Ck Rd and Cobra Mt Augustus Rd; or 3) Dalgety Downs Landor Rd and Landor Mt Augustus Rd.
We will be towing an off-road trailer with Prado 120 series.
Just wondering if anybody has been down any of these roads recently and/or knows what general condition they are in and/or what difficulties I might encounter?
I have looked at come of the blogs but can't really get a full answer.
Any help appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 15:03

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 15:03
G'day Peter & Ann

The region you intend travelling into is accessible by both good bitumen seal roads and very good all weather dirt roads, this Wet season has had no dramatic influence on the roads or region as yet, but in past seasons road closures and floods have impacted the region substantially.
You may need to re-post this question at a time closer to your intended travel period.

Safe travels:
AnswerID: 501534

Follow Up By: Peter & Ann - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 15:17

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 15:17
Jo,
Mny thks. It's good to know that there's a good base in first place. Will check conditions closer to time and also while travelling - with local people.
Peter
FollowupID: 777718

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 16:26

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 16:26
that whole area has some of the best dirt roads ive ever seen, better in some ways than bitumen
AnswerID: 501544

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 17:20

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 17:20
Hi

We were at the Kennedy Ranges in July this year in a Prado 120 towing a small off road van.

The road in from Gascoyne Junction was fine. There was a continuous drizzle at the time and the surface became like wet cement that stuck to the vehicle and van which made a bit of a mess, but the road was fine. Dropped tyre pressures at the Inggarda Picnic Area on northern side of Gascoyne River.

Spent 3 days at the Kennedy Ranges and it was great. While there spoke to several people that told us the road to Mt Augustus was in excellent condition.

The roads had dried out by the time we left and we went up the Ullawarra Rd as far as the Lyndon-Towera Rd and then out to Barradale. To the turnoff the road was excellent.

Several years ago we came down the Cobra-Dairy Creek Rd from Mt Augustus and the road was not a problem.

Can't foresee any problem to Mt Augustus. As others have stated local conditions at the time will need to be checked.

Regards
Rowdy
AnswerID: 501549

Follow Up By: Peter & Ann - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 17:31

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 17:31
Rowdy,

Mny thks for the comprehensive response. That's great news. I understand the weather situation (and will keep monitoring that as we travel north) but I was concerned about the general condition. So your comments have put my mind at rest.
Also several comments have been made about staying longer at Kennedy NP. I think we'll need to revisit that for our plans.

Peter
FollowupID: 777735

Reply By: Go Camping Australia Magazine - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 17:40

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 17:40
Hi Peter and Ann
There is a story on the trip you are planning in the next issue of Go Camping Australia magazine due out on 1 February 2013. Regards Andrea (editor)
AnswerID: 501551

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 20:11

Thursday, Jan 03, 2013 at 20:11
Peter & Ann

If you are going out to Kennedy Ranges frst you are allready 50ks up the road ( Option 1 ). Dairy Creek road is my pick from Gassy Junction though. All roads are generally in good nick. As Joe said will know more closer to your leaving date
The new pub, servo & caravan park at Gassy Junction may well be open by the time you go through.

Regards
TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 501571

Sponsored Links