HWS for camper trailer...webasto or cheaper options??

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 17:09
ThreadID: 99968 Views:3518 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Take delivery of a UEV 490 in April and have to sort out the shower/hot water issue very soon. The webasto unit is $3000 option so looking for a cheaper but good alternative. Looking at Companion Aqua Cube or the Coleman HWOD system. OK suggestions, other ideas??
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 17:24

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 17:24
I would stick with the Webasto, because it will also give you central heating for very little extra.
Diesel is cheaper and lighter to carry than gas and more available in remote areas.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 502450

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 19:45

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 19:45
Hi

I agree with Peter - I took delivery of my UEV 490 on 24 December 2012 (happy birthday to me).

I did look at getting rid of the Webasto as I was unfamiliar with them. Lots of research and question asking saw me decide to keep it for exactly the reasons Peter gives. Reseach also showed it has a good reputation.

Currently at Guilderton CP (unfortunately in the chalets not the UEV) but here is a guy on the camp ground with a 440 and he has opted out of the Webasto for a proprietary heat system of fleabay. Went down to have a look for details but he wasn't home.

I was concerned when he showed me through all his mods the other day - his heater just sat on a piece of foam matress in the storage locker with the plastic tubs!!!!! Looked very dodgy!!!

The Webasto is well mounted, well protected in the nose cone/tool box. They work well - mine took about 3 min from firing up to having hot in water in the taps and hot inside. Apparently teir fuel economy is pretty phenominal
FollowupID: 778923

Reply By: Nomad Navara - Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 21:01

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 at 21:01
Check out " Rio Grande instant LPG hot water Service " on Google or E bay, we have one of these mounted in the canopy of our 4WD ,plumbed to a small pressure pump, it has survived the Birdsville Track,Cordillo Downs,Strezlecki and many other out back trails with no faults, and cost between $250 - $300.
AnswerID: 502477

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 07:06

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 07:06
We've got one of these in the shed for hotwater and they work well, BUT must be flued externally and again need LPG.
We have a Webasto Thermotop in our Oka motorhome which provides both central heating and hotwater, uses bugger all diesel, it shares a 12 litre tank with the Webasto diesel cooktop and a tankful of fuel is easily enough for at least 3 months travel.
FollowupID: 778949

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 09:13

Monday, Jan 14, 2013 at 09:13
Peteris on the money

John
AnswerID: 502502

Sponsored Links