Anne beadlell highway

Looking at doing the abh in July August with a 3l d4d Prado, adventure off road camper all both reasonably modified . Our trip plan is across the paddock to Eucla take the old eyre highway to null arbor roadhouse. Old eyre highway to yalata then to ceduna.Up googs track to glendambo and on to coober peedy.From there to laverton across the abh.Questions? Anybody done this the old eyre highway and what's the going like on the abh east to west? Read that member SHAKER was doing it in a Prado and rv vista last year but didn't see how he went.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 17:15

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 17:15
Hi Lyncol

Here are a couple of photos of what the Old Eyre Highway is like west of Nullarbor Roadhouse. If you are in the Neighbourhood as such, have you thought about a great detour up to Maralinga??, it is well worth it.

The track out towards Mabel Creek Homestead is usually in very good condition, so make the most of the start of the Anne Beadell. Not far to the west of the homestead, the corrugations will start and will be like that almost all of the way to Ilurlka.

You best friend out there will be slow speed and tyre pressures well down, and a couple of psi even lower on your camper. It is a great drive as long as you are prepared and take your time and make regular stops to cool down the shockers and take in the vast expanses of beauty that the Anne Beadell is known for.

Last August we had another great drive on the Anne Beadell and the wildflowers were unreal, yet almost 2 years to the day since our last trip out there, the desert was quite dry and very few wildflowers out. Like I said it is a great drive and we are back out there again this coming August.

I feel personally the most trying part will be the northern section of Googs Track, it is always cut up like anything and it is first gear as you rock and roll your way to the top of the dunes.

All the best with your trip planning and you should have a great time.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503027

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 22:50

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 22:50
Your best friend on the ABH will be the one you are following driving the grader. Whatever you do don't pass him!
I recommend Stephen's advice, low tyre pressures on everything and take it quietly. Check driving lights and other bolt ons cos they can work loose. Have a great trip. Cheers, Leigh
FollowupID: 779650

Follow Up By: Lyncol - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:00

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:00
Thanks for photos and feedback but did any of u tow an off roader?
FollowupID: 779676

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:49

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:49
Had one camper trailer being towed by another in our group and came across others who were towing camper trailers and even an off road caravan. If your trailer is well set up with good robust suspension then you should be ok but there are no guarantees. There is a Jayco out there that didn't make the distance and this I would regard as light weight. Not really a prospect to get a recovery from out there unless you have really deep pockets. Cheers
FollowupID: 779677

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:51

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:51
Hi Lyncol

For the first 3 days, Fiona and I were solo, but met some great people at Ilkurlka. The following night then camped with us again and spent the next 4 days travelling together.

Stuart had an off road camper and John had a Caravan.

Stewarts handled the conditions faultless but John had lots of problems with his caravan.

If you read my Blog on the Anne Beadell, you will get a better understanding of what it is like out there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 779686

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 17:16

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 17:16
Not done old Eyre Highway but have done Googs and Anne Beadell in a 60 series. Googs was a bit challenging after Googs Lake but good fun. Anne Beadell well corrugated last September but running tyres at about 30 psi could maintain 70 -80kph for most of it.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503028

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 07:55

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 07:55
We only got as far as Port Augusta when we found out that the ABH had just been closed due to bush fires at the WA end, so we basically just returned home.
We hope to do it this year.

AnswerID: 503054

Reply By: Candace S. - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:41

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:41
This blog, posted in Dec. 2012, indicated that grading was in progress on the AB and Connie Sue Highways:Blog: Warburton to Neale Jcn

AnswerID: 503072

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 15:48

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 15:48
Yes, thats right Candace, though I would expect the corrugations to come back pretty quickly. Was a very easy run west just after the grader had been through.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 779689

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 04:12

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 04:12
I'd love to know their schedule for grading out there (if there is a schedule). Maybe I could plan my trip around that, LOL.
FollowupID: 779731

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 17:46

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 17:46
We did it in August 2011 towing a Kimberley Kamper with a 150 Prado 3L D4D automatic. It was a breeze with the Prado. Sure, as people have said the road is rough, but lower your tyre pressure and take your time. We loved it.

In our group there were, as well as us:
a Troopy towing a VistRV Crossover and a Colorado towing an Odyssey.

At some stage we will go again. Thewildflowers were stunning.

Di and Bruce
AnswerID: 503083

Reply By: Member - ROADKING - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 23:48

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 23:48
We travelled the ABH in 2011 west to east towing Adventure pilbara trailer . Ran the trailer PSI at 25 and had no issues, the only problem we encountered was a staked tyre on the camper on one of the detours around a washout but we managed to buy a spare at Illurkla roadhouse.
We took 8 days to do the crossing as there was plenty to see and lots of great camping opportunities especially the lake at the WA- SA border, from memory we averaged about 25kph as we couldn't see the point in rushing as there was so much to see. The corrugations on the eastern end were pretty ordinary but adjusting pressures and speed to suit the conditions made it bearable. Thouroughly recommend it
Regards Jim
AnswerID: 503118

Reply By: Lyncol - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:37

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:37
Thanks to all replies. Bruce and Di T and Roadking can u give me an idea of fuel consumption bearing in mind we are going east to west. Have same camper, Adventure Pilbara. May see Shaker out there? Great blog Stephen L
AnswerID: 503286

Sponsored Links