New England Highway

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:31
ThreadID: 100221 Views:2965 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Im from South Australia and will be traveling in March up the New England Highway from Singleton to Brisbane,i will be towing a 25ft van with an F250 what are the roads like,would i be better of going the Princess Highway.
Cheers
Baker
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:41

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 12:41
The New England Hwy has some big hills but not a lot of traffic, Princess Hwy (Pacific Hwy) is flatter but more traffic.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503506

Follow Up By: racinrob - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 15:02

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 15:02
Humpback....Dave is right but a bit of a toss up really, more trucks and traffic on the Pacific Highway but the trade off is a lot of it is dual carriageway. The New England is a better drive towing a 'van in my opinion.

Rob.
FollowupID: 780220

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 07:22

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 07:22
I don't tow anything over 1.5Tonnes, so am inexperirnced with your sized combo. Until the Pacific Highway became a B double route about a decade ago, all the Brisbane-Sydney B doubles used to travel the New England. All the vegetable trucks from the Lockeyer Valley just west of Brisy (when it's not in flood) still go down the NE Highway today to Sydney. As you are starting at Singleton, unless I had a coastal fettish, I would have thought the NE Highway would still be quicker. There are really only two solid hills, the Moonbis north of Tamworth and Devil's Pinch north of Armidale.
If I was going to the Gold Coast, I would probably go via the Pacific.
AnswerID: 503536

Follow Up By: mike39 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 08:03

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 08:03
Plus a "twisty bit" just S of Tenterfield.
The NE would be my preferred route, and if you are looking for a half way stop there are 4 free camp spots and 5 CP's in Glen Innes.
(always like to give our friendly town a plug!)
mike
FollowupID: 780271

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:47

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:47
Hi Humpback,

I live near the Pacific Highway in the Port Macquarie region and travel it frequently.
When heading north of brisbane I prefer the New England as it is much much quieter than the Pacific.

In your case, being at Singleton I would definitely use the New England to get to Brisbane, If I were you. The road is good with repairs being carried out where necessary.

There are a couple of good hills but nothing your Effie wont handle with moderate ease.
Your biggest test will be climbing the Moonbi Range but I do it often towing 2.5 tonne on a V8 petrol cruiser with moderate ease. Usual truck driving story, just select the best gear for the job and let it grind away till you get to the top.

Otherwise it is a very good run and always my preference when heading north, even though I live on the coast. The lack of traffic on the New England, away from the major centres, never ceases to astound me. Such a good road and so under utilised.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503543

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:56
Talking of free camps there is a beauty at Wallabadah right on the N.E. about 50K south of Tamworth. An easy run from Singleton. The free camp area is beside the Memorial Park to the First Fleet-ers. Certainly worth an hour or 2 or more if you have the time.

Although it is right beside the N.E. highway it is not noisy, due to the lack of traffic. Highly recommended o/night stop.

Temperatures should be excellent that time of the year, usually.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 780278

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:51

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:51
Hullo Humpback
I have used the New England Hwy a few times recently with a F250 (5t) and a BT (3t).
IMHO, the NE would win hands down vis a vis the Pacific. Once clear of the Hunter Valley with all its hassles, there are fewer trucks, good places to stop, good scenery.
As stated by others, a couple of steep long climbs but nothing an F truck can't handle -and you will be in good company, although some of today's trcuks seem to go up hill at the same speed as they go down! :-)
If you have the time, worth spending a bit of time exploring the towns along the way once north of Tamworth.
Friendly people offering good service, in my experience.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 503548

Reply By: Member - Nordave - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:46

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:46
Have done both with a 100 series land cruiser towing 3.5 tons of Bushtracker . No problems.
The NE wins hands down.. The road works on the PH are a serious problem. Some sections are slow as.
nE is much more scenic and has better ( not many) camps spots.very few if any decent ones on the PH.
AnswerID: 503549

Reply By: humpback - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:55

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:55
Thankyou to everybody who replied it has been most helpfull.
Cheers
Humpback
AnswerID: 503550

Reply By: mottleemob - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 12:14

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 12:14
Having used both highways as a truck driver the New England wins hands down a lot quieter but has 2 decent hills otherwise a good run you will do it easy in your rig
cheers phil
AnswerID: 503860

Sponsored Links