ipad navigation

Hello all,
got an ipad recently, found it has moving maps. I'm told the maps work with out mobile phone connectivity, aint so from here. The inbuilt maps I assume are google maps, no tower input- no map. I looked at mudmaps but not getting a definitive answer from them re remote off road moving maps. Currently using oziexplorer on old pda and very happy except for smaller screen ozi say ipad app still being developed, any comments?
thanks in advance
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 20:43

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 20:43
If your Ipad has 3G , it also has a GPS inbuilt.
if not no GPS. You could still use a bluetooth GPS.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 506596

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 09:28

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 09:28
Not sure but I think the Apple system downloads the maps dynamically. So having a gps wouldn't make any difference. You would still get your location displayed but no background map.
AnswerID: 506621

Follow Up By: Brett H - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:36

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:36
That would be the same with any device - ipad/android/windows.
If away from data reception (3g) you will need to load maps onto the device beforehand.

Options for Ipad's are Mudmaps (maps supplied), Hema (Maps supplied), Twonav (load you own maps), Bitmap/Maps & Trax (load your own maps) etc etc.

All of these will work with maps without any 3g coverage (eg. middle of Simpson desert) as long as you have a device with GPS.
FollowupID: 783639

Follow Up By: Notso - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 13:58

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 13:58
Not on my Samsung with Navigon, the maps are on the device.
FollowupID: 783655

Follow Up By: Brett H - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 14:20

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 14:20
I guess it depends if the OP wants street navigation (turn by turn) or actual off road maps (hema type or topo). If the latter then I don't think Navigon fits the bill although it is good that its free.
FollowupID: 783659

Follow Up By: Notso - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 14:40

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 14:40
Never recommended it for bush, didn't recommend it for anything really, answered your reply that it doesn't download the maps dynamically!
FollowupID: 783663

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:18

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:18
this question comes up alot on multiple forums and short answer is the best way to get offroad mapping on your I thingo is to sell it and buy an android device. the samsung note 10.1 is one of the better ones atm but new ones are constantly coming out.
benifits are
- you can run ozi on it so not only can you use the maps you have on your PDA but it has the largest range of off the shelf ready to use maps many of which are available in the EO shop
- they take an external Sd card so you dont have to buy the top model to get enough storage to fit all your maps on (The maps alone on my phone would max out the base model I thingos storage) so combined with a 64 gig card you end up with 80 gig of storage even the top of the line I pad cant touch that
- Transferring maps is as simple as drag and drop from hard drive to your android - no I tunes
- much cheaper , as i mentioned you need to get the top of the line I pad to get the specs of the base model samsung so you save 00s

cons are
- its not an apple
AnswerID: 506630

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 19:20

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 19:20
get outmore,

Hehehe, That's not a con.
If it's not an Apple that's a pro:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 783690

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:00

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:00
Get out more - get a life! What possible benefit could there be in your constant, inane and gratuitous remarks about anything to do with Apple? I'm sure if you banged on like this about a brand of 4WD the moderators would weigh in.
I am guessing you do this for your personal amusement? What a sad little person you must be.
Bob (owner of Android, iOS, and WinCE devices)
FollowupID: 783788

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:22

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 22:22
Wow!

Touched on a little nerve have we Bob?
I think it is you that need to get a life for even responding.
I think this may be the first time I personally have said anything negative about a particular piece of fruit.

Bill (owner of Android, WinCE and Windows devices.)
Oh! and I have an iPhone and an iPod:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 783792

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:39

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 14:39
Bill

sorry you got caught in the crossfire. The comment was clearly directed at getoutmore, not you. Have a look at some of his recent posts. Frankly, they'd get on anybodies nerves. If the moderators did their job, we wouldn't have to put up with his repetitive drivel.

Bob
FollowupID: 783869

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 20:07

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 20:07
Sorry you dont like it but its stone cold fact many people find after getting an apple theres no decent offroad mapping apps for them and ive seen many such posts both on this and other forums.
Sorry you dont like seeing it
You can use eithet hema or memory map but neither can touch the ozi explorer or free androzic app for choice of maps especially if you take into condideration most people will have ozi explorer maps.
Now you have accused me of inane dribble where ive actually pointed out all the benifits of selling it and buying something like a Sam sung.
Its you with the inane dribble as you have failed to offer any worth while way to conduct offroad mapping with an ipad.
I do actually have some idea what im talking about as I use my galaxy s3 for offroad mapping and bushwalking and have 100s of maps about 15gig of maps with the least detailed and used being hema
FollowupID: 783896

Follow Up By: Brett H - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 16:09

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 16:09
Not getting into the Toyota/Nissan.....opps I mean Ipad/Android debate but the fact is I have an Ipad and am more than happy with its off road mapping apps.
I run the Townav app and run all Hema maps (ozi versions), all 1:250 goescience maps, 1:100k of NSW, all 1:25k available for NSW as well.
I have even used their trial software on my pc (not mac) to scan in paper maps and load them onto the ipad for use.

I can record and edit tracks and just about everything else people seem to say they do with Ozi.

And..I can load them all onto the Ipad without Itunes. Need a simple FTP client and drag and drop just like in explorer. Simple eh..

It would be good for Ozi to create an I-app but I'm not holding my breath, but with Twonav I dont need it now.

FollowupID: 783964

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 17:26

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 17:26
Checked it out. Also available on Android but few downloads due to better options.

More expensive than ozi and much more mucking around trying to convert maps and the last time I tried using an ftp I gave up in frustration.
I didn't have the required 2 years to wait.
I already have the maps I use them on my phone. 7inch navigator and pc.
I ad to them regulary both buying them off the shelf ready to use as well as swapping maps not found in shops on ozi format.. its made easier due to the large number of people using it
FollowupID: 783972

Follow Up By: Brett H - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 17:47

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 17:47
I checked out ozi on pc once and found that much more difficult to use than any FTP client or twonav so if you can figure all the things in ozi then other things should be easy.
Not saying I wouldn't use it myself but it isn't child's play like some make out.
As for there android app, I will not comment one way or another as I don't own it but it seems to get good raps. But there are options on iPad that can do what is being asked for.

There will always be people who prefer both devices and I am happy to have both platform available. It's what makes each of them develop into better products. Let's not kill competition.

FollowupID: 783974

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 22:55

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 22:55
competition may be good but not always

im not necc an ozi fan but its failrly irrelevent how other systems operate because what i find the number 1 best thing about ozi is that its like bums. Everyone has one

we get together everynow and again and can straight swap maps, track files, waypoints whatever.
i got onto a bushwalking site and was able to download 50 very specific maps, tracks and waypoints all OZI

not memory map compatible, not twonav compatible- ozi

check out the shop here it sells many digital maps - all Ozi compatible again not directly compatible with the programs you mention.

however thats not the only show stopper with apple when it comes to offroad navigation
No external storage - simple as that . you have to upgrade to very expensive higher internal storage models to not a achieve what other base cheap models do better
FollowupID: 783993

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 01:09

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 01:09
I use Memory Map on my Windows notebook, my ipad and my Android phone. It works great on all of them and I like it a lot more than Ozi. It's all personal preference, nobody is right or wrong. The maps aren't cheap but I prefer them.
FollowupID: 783999

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:55

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:55
Mikehzz is on the money. I have used Ozi on windows CE and Hema on the iPad
The IPad is much simpler to use. They all do the job as long as they have the particular maps that you are looking for.
FollowupID: 784129

Reply By: Michaeljp - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 13:54

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 13:54
I bought a Mud Map M7 GPS has heaps of maps included and also has a sd card slot which i used to load my Hema maps onto to view in Ozi on the M7.
AnswerID: 506637

Reply By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 15:52

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 15:52
Hema Maps on my I-Pad works a treat. middle of the Simpson Desert, middle of Cape York and more importantly I hope it works in the middle of the Canning Stock Route when I do that in July.

BUT you def need a 3G version, although I think you can plus something in that will pick up Sat signals if you don't have a 3g version

Great piece of kit, very happy
AnswerID: 506647

Follow Up By: DiscoTourer - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 00:56

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 00:56
I agree.

iPad with Hema maps is great on the CSR, and anywhere else the GPS can see the sky.

Big screen, very accurate, and you can use your iPad for work too.

iPad is one of the best off road touring accessories. It intuitive and it just works! And without terrestrial signal!

Brett.....
FollowupID: 783928

Reply By: mac3 - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 16:24

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 16:24
Ok Mark, sounds like you're on my track, so to speak. Looks like this answers my question. Do you need a program to run the HEMA map? On my laptop and pda am using Oziexplorer and reading the Geoscience 250k dvd .ecw file type saved on the device. If I loaded that onto the ipad it would be too easy to say there you go I suppose...
cheers
David
AnswerID: 506652

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:01

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:01
David

Hema is simple...$150...download the app from I-Tunes and everything you need is then on your I-Pad, software, maps (nearly all that Hema have including Topo), tracking system.

Breeze to use, although in saying that I haven't yet 100% mastered the "Waypoint" system.....spent a bit of time on it and can set a waypoint and end point BUT after doing all that can't actually see much benefit...really all I need to see is where I am on a map, so that if I am looking for a track it's easy to find.

A good example of this is last year in the Cape I ran into some guys wanting to do Frenchmans Track (we were coming back onto the PDR from Chilli Beach)...they could not find it (they had in fact gone past the entrance). It was back about 3K's so I turned around and said "follow me and I'll take you to it".

The entrance was fairly overgrown, and not disimilar to many side tracks off the road so I can understand why it was hard to find....we found it, wished them luck and ontinued on our way.

It does NOT provide turn by turn like a Navigator would, otherwise a great bit of kit.
FollowupID: 783949

Follow Up By: mac3 - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:54

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:54
Thanks Mark, simple is my kind of language. Checked it out and looks like what I'm after. Already have a street gps factory fitted in cruiser so moving topo maps is what I'm after.
cheers
David
FollowupID: 783952

Follow Up By: Mark - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 21:49

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 21:49
There are quite a videos on youtube regarding mapping for the iPad.
Heres one for the Hema maps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP3G8k6h-p8

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 783990

Follow Up By: Mark - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 21:54

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 21:54
More details here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1hs8bzy3Oc
FollowupID: 783991

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 14:26

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 14:26
If you get the Hema maps app you can also add more detailed maps to it (eg 1:25K) at a cost, although those provided by Hema are comprehensive.

Checkout Copilot for the IPAD - for around $40 you get turn by turn navigation software that works through the GPS network (ie no phone network required).

You can even have the two apps running concurrently, you can be looking at the Hema maps but still receive the voice directions from Copilot.

If you have an IPAD you may as well use it. No need to get anything else.

Rich
FollowupID: 784115

Sponsored Links