Bridges or car ferries over the Murray

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 22:13
ThreadID: 101150 Views:3527 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks, are there any bridges or car ferries (that can handle a car and caravan) over the Murray between Wentworth and Renmark?

Thanks
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pothole - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 22:21

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 22:21
I'm sure they all can take trucks and some can take B trains so you shouldn't have any trouble at all.
Pothole
AnswerID: 507013

Follow Up By: Pothole - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:35

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 22:35
So like I said no trouble at all. I live in the area. We truck stuff all over this area.
Pothole
FollowupID: 784247

Reply By: WBS - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 22:28

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 22:28
To the best of my knowledge, No there isn't.

WBS
AnswerID: 507014

Follow Up By: Member - Longtooth (SA) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 22:48

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 22:48
So here we have perfect examples of opposing views we find on the internet. What do we really believe? Don't ask these questions too readily without doing a bit of research on reliable sites! Blindly believing answers you get here may well get you more trouble than you can handle - either getting you lost or worse in some cases.
And to the best of my knowledge I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS EITHER. However, that is just my opinion!
Rusty
FollowupID: 784159

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:36

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:36
I think you may be reading too much into it Longtooth? I read it as......if there is a bridge or ferry there it will be able to support your vehicle not wether there is a bridge or ferry there or not.
I think its worth checking any info you get off the internet just in case its out dated or even misinterpreted.
Cheers
FollowupID: 784179

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:33

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:33
Have to agree with Longtooth here. The question was "are there any bridges or car ferries ...". To respond saying they can all cope with cars etc implies that they exist and therefore is a misleading answer (given that the answer has now proven to be No).

FollowupID: 784197

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 23:34

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 23:34
No, the Murray River bridge crossings are the Abbotsford Bridge at Curlwaa (between Merbien and Wentworth and then the next Bridge is at Renmark itself. I believe the only vehicle ferries that are still operating are all further southwest along the river past Renmark.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 507017

Follow Up By: Member - powernut (SA) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 08:04

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 08:04
The answer is no. I live on that section of the Murray and there is no bridge or ferry between Wentworth and Renmark.
I am an apprentice retire. Its looking like my most successful career to date.

FollowupID: 784166

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 08:25

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 08:25
Hi Graham

Renmark is our second home....lol

We send 10 days up there every years, and have done so for a very long time and in fact heading back up there again for 11 days from this Friday again.

The question you have asked is a 2 answer question with a YES and a NO.

The NO is if you take the northern dirt road all the way to Renmark, coming in through Renmark North and into town that way. Conditions on that road can vary from time of the year from good to corrugated. If you take the southern first road via Lake Victoria, then there is the Bridge over the weir.

If on the other hand you want to go by the black top, then the answer is YES with 2 bridges to be crossed. The first will be at Buronga when you cross over the River from New South Wales into Victoria. This bridge was upgraded a long time ago and takes all size vehicle, so will be no problem at all. The second bridge on this route is the historic suspension bridge at Paringa.

Make sure that you do not just pass through the area, as there is far more to see than many people very think.

Might even catch you there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 507021

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 09:58

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 09:58
Last time we were up there Buronga was between Mildura and Wentworth....he asked about bridges between Wentworth and Renmark , and ...yes we also have spent quite some time in Wentworth , but alas they went and closed off our favorite camp spot and we no longer go there...cheers
FollowupID: 784169

Follow Up By: Mazdave - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:03

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:03
Hi Stephen,
Just a correction there. The 3rd photo showing the bridge at Lake Victoria, is actually the bridge over the outlet on the Rufus River, this then flows into the Murray just downstream of Lock 7. I live in the area.
FollowupID: 784194

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:48

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 14:48
Hi Mazdave

I know that was the Rufus River, but thought that was still connected as part of the Lake Victoria overflow. We enjoy that way and Lake Victoria would have looked great last year when it was full.

The first time we went through the area, it was to try and see where the Rufas River Massacre occurred. One of the locals that we met on the bridge pointed out the general area where the graves were, quite some way in the distant sand dunes.

If you ever see my black Prado in the area, stop for a chat.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784199

Follow Up By: Mazdave - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 15:32

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 15:32
Yes Stephen,
It is a lovely part of the river with a lot of history around Lake Victoria, including the massacre and the WW2 training and mishaps for the Catalina planes. The river in this section between Locks 7 to 8 is magnificent. No noisy ski and wake boats, just the odd fisherman plying his hobby. All the land on the NSW side is privately owned, so its hard to access, but if you can get permission to camp on any part of this river it is magnificent. Access on the Vic side is a lot easier, through Neds Corner station.
FollowupID: 784204

Follow Up By: old mate - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:35

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:35
Great reply stephen!!

Onya!!
FollowupID: 784228

Follow Up By: Mazdave - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 16:53

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 16:53
Old Mate,
The original question was, is there any bridge or ferry over the Murray between Wentworth and Renmark? Quite obviously, the writer was asking is it possible to cross from NSW to Victoria across the Murray between these two towns. I was merely pointing out that the Bridge that Stephen was referring to at Lake Victoria crosses the Rufus River and NOT the Murray and as a consequence does not transverse from NSW to Victoria! I accept that Stephen was aware of this and was merely pointing out the bridges he has seen between Wentworth and Renmark!
FollowupID: 784321

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 18:58

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 18:58
Is there still a vehicle ferry near Berri?
AnswerID: 507061

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:16

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:16
Hi Tony

The Berri ferry has not run for years and was replaced with this new bridge:

The only ferry in that close proximity of Berri/Renmark is the one at Lyrup:

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784223

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:24

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 19:24
A little effort with Google supplies all the location information on SA Murray River car ferries and the next alternative crossing, bridge or other!

Here's the link.

SA Car Ferries etc!!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 507065

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 00:06

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 00:06
Thanks all, confirms what I thought my maps showed. Now I just need to decide whether to drive from Mildura to Renmark on the northern or southern side of the River. It would appear that the best spot to see the junction of the Murray and the Darling is on the Northern side of the river at Wentworth.

Unfortunately while I would like to look around this area more it will have to wait for another occassion as we are on a tight run from a wedding and visiting family in Sydney, and a booking on the ferry to Kangaroo Island. While we have enough time to pause and look around in transit we don't have enough time to stop anywhere other than an overnighter.

The problem with being married to a teacher is that other than at Christmas you can only take holidays in a two week block.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 507087

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 09:45

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 09:45
The north side of the river at Wentworth is about the only way to see the junction of the two rivers...it is a roundabout way to get to the Murray river on the south side at that point and even then you would not see much, not that there is a lot to see anyway , just two rivers merging(one big one and a smaller one). Some years ago we came down the Murray from Mildura on a houseboat and turned upstream into a much faster running Darling...thought we had run into a brick wall.
FollowupID: 784268

Sponsored Links