Road Conditions WA - Kennedy Range NP & Mt Augustus

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 20:37
ThreadID: 101212 Views:3062 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning on being in this region about end May. I know road conditions change but has anybody been in this region recently and could tell me what conditions are like now. We are in Prado 120 with camper trailer.

regards,
Peter & Ann
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 20:59
P & A was through that way twice last year at this time and also in September and some years prior to that at this time of year. The local Shire maintains the roads in good condition and on all of my trips corrugations were minimal. Need to drive to the conditions of course as the conditions can change overnight if a decent storm goes through. Give Gascoyne Junction a call prior to you going out that way.

Fuel was available at the Shire office during office hours and is also available at Cobra & Mt Augustus 'resort'.

Towing a trailer should not be a problem. Two of our group over easter last year towed trailers up the western side of the Kennedy Range and over the top and down the east side with no problems at all. The track through from Mooka Springs did suffer from wash-a-ways though that we rebuilt.

Fantastic part of the world - enjoy.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507228

Follow Up By: Member - Peter & Ann - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 13:32

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 13:32
Thks for the advice. Looking frwrd to travelling that part of Oz. Will keep tyres deflated and watch road conditions.
FollowupID: 784490

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 21:18

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 21:18
Apart from the general condition of the roads be aware that some of the stones up there are razor sharp.
We did 2 tyres within 10kms of Mt Augusta a couple of years back. One of the stones still stuck in the tyre was like an arrow head.
After we decided to slow down going through the dips we had no further problem.

Paul
AnswerID: 507230

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 22:59

Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013 at 22:59
Was up Mount Augustus way in 2010. Was later in the year though. We were towing a 20ft van. Roads were mostly good and we had no trouble. Even in the sections where the corrigations were severe, nothing on the van broke. We did drive to the conditions I'd say though and had no punctures.
The point of my posting though is to just advise you to check on the fuel information you've been given. We stayed at Cobra Station (say Hi to Jim if you visit for us...top bloke). It is posted locally and on maps that fuel is available at Cobra. In actual fact that isn't quite true. Apparently you can purchase fuel from there if ordered ahead. You CAN NOT just turn up and get fuel. If you are coming from the West it is a further 35kms roughly to Mt Augustus resort where you can get fuel. Hopefully nobody will be in a situation where their range will be critically affected by the 35km's should they be seeking fuel.
AnswerID: 507234

Follow Up By: Member - Peter & Ann - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 13:29

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 13:29
Yes, we are staying at Cobra Bangemall so will try to remember to say hi. I have spoken with him a couple of times to arrange booking and I'd agree he does seem a nice bloke.
Our Prado is diesel with 180L tank so even when towing we generally get min 1400kms per tank. Thks for advice and will ensure that we fill up at Carnarvon.
FollowupID: 784487

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 15:56

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 15:56
Peter, a few years back I was part of a large convoy of vehicles that refueled at Cobra. The fuel all came out of drums. I was fine at the time as my ULP needs were satisfied with Av Gas out of nice new drums so no contamination. The Diesel however came out of old drums and 2 vehicles in the group really suffered one we managed to fix at the side of the road but the other ended up getting thousands of dollars worth of damage. Also the hand pump being used was somewhat dodgy when it came to the actual amount of fuel supposedly being delivered. Odd that 120L went into a 100L tank if you get what I mean.

That was then so hopefully this problem with their fuel supply has improved. The issue we encountered was reported to the appropriate authority at the time.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 784502

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 04:20

Thursday, Mar 21, 2013 at 04:20
better than bitumen thats the only way to describe most of the roads that way
AnswerID: 507237

Reply By: mike g2 - Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 16:43

Friday, Mar 22, 2013 at 16:43
No recent experience in across top of kennedy range track, but I thought it was rough when done with Army Res about 15 yrs ago. Follows old exploration drill sites across top of range. I believe you will need to access from eastern side and check with station when exiting west side. there is recent comment in forum on this by people who have done it more recently, I THINK they said track was not hard -look up older forum posts, use search terms . was full of goats when i was there,believe now gone. suggest also talk to pilbara regiment and canarvon ranger for info.see if anyone still on station. my old maps show lyons rvr stn and mardathuna homestead in the area.(4wd track shown on my Pilbara streetsmart touring map of 1992!) I am sure you can get more accurate/recent info.
We also went to Mt Augustus area, fair way out. recollection was good tracks and Im sure its a Nat Park area now.
MG.
AnswerID: 507371

Sponsored Links