Menindee camp sites

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 16:43
ThreadID: 101504 Views:6169 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Anyone care to share info on their favouriteMenindee camp spot. Free camping or CP. we are family of 5 in a big tent and need/ like a bit of space. Going up from Melbourne next week and just can't make my mind up where to setup. The areas around the lakes look terrific on the pictures but I haven't seen 1 tent setup just vans?
Anyhow. If you have been there recently any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Graeme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 17:22

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 17:22
I shouldn't tell you this, Pathy, but this is my favourite spot on the Darling about 10k south of Menindee. It's in the Kinchega NP, on the western side of the river.

Plenty of shade, easy access to the river, and more than enough space for a large tent or camper trailer. It's a couple of hundred metres from a drop toilet (I think).

Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508174

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 18:15

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 18:15
Agree George. There are plenty of sites all along the river with basic facilities and the sunrises and sunsets can be stunning. Good for swimming as long as you don't mind a bit of mud between the toes, don't know about fishing.

(PS love the Russian Blue?)

FollowupID: 785614

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 19:04

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 19:04
Hi George, I agree - love the spots along the river. Although when I was there in October there was a downpur overnight & I got out a day early, thanks to tag teaming the drive with the ranger (who was also really kind and thoughtful in helping me pack up & throw the muddy stuff in the car!) with him closing the road behind us! A great memory.

btw I also wanted to say I love the picture of your cat - I have one, Baby Scaredy Cat Chicken Kiev Christmas Nuts, very similar.
FollowupID: 785615

Reply By: Dr Hook - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 17:27

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 17:27
Graeme:
A big group of us stayed at Kinchega National Park - Menindee (an old Sheep Station) - (most chose to sleep in the cabins, despite being geared up for a rough country camping trip, but others in their tents/vans) for one night last year, before heading out Bush.

A top place and well worth a return visit: see if you can camp near the Homestead and use the toilets/showers, but use your own tent. The Rangers are great people to deal with.
Plenty of other free sites up along the road to the Regulator, all within reach of the water.

Cheers

Dr Hook
AnswerID: 508176

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 17:28

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 17:28
Hi Graeme. I would like to suggest Copi Hollow. We stayed at Menindee Lakes C/P and although it was OK, after driving around and getting a better idea of the area we drove into the C H Park and had a picnic. It was really nice with a large lake as its boundary. It used to be the recreation area for the Broken Hill miners. There were some beautiful grassed sites up near the boat ramp so I'm sure they would accomodate a large tent. This was a year ago and a site for a van with two people was $25 per night. Most of the Menindee area can get a bit windy sometimes as it is a bit open with all the lakes around. There are a number of free sites out near the dam wall but pretty rough and no facilities. It is an incredible, historic area with a heap nearby to look at. Kinchega National Park is a must see too. Have a great trip. Bob.
AnswerID: 508177

Reply By: Member - John N (SA) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 19:14

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 19:14
G'day Graeme,
A couple of years ago, we camped for a couple of days at the Burke & Wells Menindee base camp site. Then, it was a great camp site with decent toilet & alongside the Pamamaroo creek. Plenty of room and at that time was a free camp. I would go there again.

Cheers

John
AnswerID: 508181

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W4 - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 19:46

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 19:46
Heven't camped there but visited a couple of years ago when staying at Broken Hill. Quite impressed with the B and W camp site. There were a coule of vans there and the toilets and BBQ area quite appropriate. Made the comment to my wife with facilities like these can't understand why B and W bothered to go further nort. Blazed tree and story worth a visit.
FollowupID: 785620

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 21:24

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 21:24
Hi Pathycop,
Have camped a couple of times on the banks of the Pamamaroo Lake, sure you would find a spot for your tent.
Drive around till you find the spot that suits, best to arrive, if possible mid AM when other campers have moved on.
Great place, enjoy.
Cheers.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508197

Reply By: murrayman - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 22:40

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 22:40
Hi pathycop, spent 4 days on the shore of lake Pamamaroo a couple of weeks ago. Plenty of grassed areas to put a tent up, lots of white sandy beach with water back about 50 meters from shore. Great spot to relax at and plenty of big yabbies across the road in the darling. Go up there a couple times a year, just love it. cheers mark
AnswerID: 508209

Reply By: Member - iijmartin - Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 23:23

Thursday, Apr 04, 2013 at 23:23
Pathycop,
Was there 2 wks ago plenty of vans along the foreshore of Lake Pamamaroo. We camped alongside the Darling nr the Burke and Wills tree. Great spot. The gravel road in (8-9km) was fairly corrugated. Couldn't believe how quiet and peaceful it was nr the river - no galahs or cockatoos!!
Work the effort to camp there. Didn't use the toilets so can't comment.
AnswerID: 508213

Reply By: Pathycop - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:05

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:05
Hi all,

Thanks so much for taking the time and interest to make suggestions on a camp site. What I have learned is that this is easily the best forum to get any sort of information from with such a great following of genuine "travellers" willing to give assistance to those of us just starting to get around this wonderful land of ours.

All the sites and CP's mentioned by each of you are on my list of places to camp so now I am re assured that wherever we end up all will be good for my family. We will be getting into Menindee early afternoon next Thursday so we will have a scout around some of those suggeted sites and see which one suits us best. Sounds like a really peacfull place all round so cant wait for that leg of our 2 week tour.

Thanks again for your input. I am sure I will be back with more questions, particularly when we take deliver of our new poptop van in June. No more tent, YAY!

Graeme
AnswerID: 508261

Follow Up By: Member - Ian and Cheryl (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 11:34

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 11:34
Hi Graeme
We were there last month - if you need a dunny I noticed the drop dunnies in the NP camping area are closed - result of the flood.
Great spot to camp though - but of course watch where you pitch the tent with the Red Gums.
IAN
FollowupID: 785817

Sponsored Links