Darwin and Beyond

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:13
ThreadID: 101607 Views:1960 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to Darwin for 2 weeks in Sept, we plan to spend a few days in the city then hire a 4x4. Can you please list you must do's and tell me why.
Litchfield is 1 place we will go too.
Please don't just say Kakadu, please tell me where and why.

Thanks in advance.
Wato
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:48

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:48
We went to Litchfield and Kakadu in a Nissan Maxima. We saw all that we wanted to see at both places in the 2WD. You may want to save yourself a quid by hiring a 2WD.

Unless you want to go off road and even then when hiring they cannot guarantee that you will be permitted to take their car off road until the day before pickup.

Before I finish it may be helpful if you give us a bit of background on yourself and the other of the "we" that you mentioned.

What have you done in the way of camping or 4WD off road touring etc.

Phil
AnswerID: 508645

Follow Up By: wato35 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:10

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:10
We = the wife and myself, both in early 50'ies and like to do walks (not too hard) and swim.
We have travelled through Aust and the outback for 6 months, but I am only confortable with easy to medium off road (wife yells & screams alot when I do).
The point about 2wd I agree with, but I would like the option to go anywhere.
FollowupID: 786188

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:16

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:16
Gday
When you go swimming, watch out for the short legged long tailed dogs,,,,,,,,

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 786190

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 14:11

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 14:11
MUZBRY
The 27/12/2012, was that a day of total fire ban?

Ross M
FollowupID: 786202

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 20:56

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 20:56
Gday Ross
No. If it was there would be no fire in my camp.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 786239

Reply By: stuart77 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:44

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:44
Go to Litchfield and visit all the falls, one of my personal favorite places ever, and in kakadu a must is Gunlom Falls (UDP Falls) but just about any place you visit in both parks is a experience and will offer you all great memories, and you will always dream about coming back...
AnswerID: 508676

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:52

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:52
OK, so you have about 10 days out of Darwin. I don't mean to be a kill joy but it stopped raining here (after a very poor wet) a couple of weeks ago, so it won't have rained for 5 months by the time you get here. Most water holes would have started to stagnate by then and it will be starting to warm up again.
Yep, Litchfield for 2 or 3 days. The tourist brochures will tell you where to go on that one.Kakadu, Gunlom, camp overnight (showers, toilets) and do the walk up to the top of the falls (20 min). Nice safe swimming spot. Do a cruise on Yellow Waters, bird life will be excellent by then. Norlangie rock and Ubir, black fella rock art. Do the walk (1/2 hr) to the lookout at Ubir, spectacular! DONT camp near Ubir (Merl campground ), you will be eaten alive!
Jim Jim and Twin Falls are great when flowing and probably still worth seeing even when almost dry. The walk to the top of Twin is AWESOME and depending on water quality you might be able to swim (DONT PUT YOUR HEAD UNDER or drink it ) It is a HARD 1.5 - 2 hour walk each way.
If hungry when in Jabiru go the the bakery, great food of all sorts, it's in a dead end street and a bit hard to find, sort of behind the servo, just ask someone if you cant find it.
I guess you could stop and see the jumping croc's too, if that's your thing?

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508677

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 21:10

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 21:10
Lyndon is spot on with his advice. I would agree with what he says after having lived in Darwin for years previously. Still miss the town.

My favourite falls in Kakadu were Baramundi falls especially the walk to the top where there is a really nice swim so long as you stay away from the edge. When walking up the gorge following the river and at one stage the little arrows guide you to cross over the river about half way up. Don't - look for the track that goes up on the left side and you will find a way to the top of the falls.

As for Litchfield my favourite place to camp was Butterfly gorge but you will need a 4x4. We took two cars down and one was a RAv 4 so you should be good. Now that is a magical spot and quite often you are on your own.

Of course while hanging around town go to Berry Springs and have a swim. At the top there is a small water fall 1 or 2 feet but the water is quite warm there. Nice place for a picnic but still close to town.

If you are in town there is a lovely walk through the rain forest up to Lee Point and back along the Casuarina beach that I would bike ride often with my kids.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 786240

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:34

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:34
Where and why - check out My Blogs (2009) - also for Litchfield. We had three days touring Litchfield, and eleven days in Kakadu seeing just the main sights. You could easily spend the whole two weeks there.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 508702

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 06:44

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 06:44
Or two WHOLE months, if you have a boat :-)
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 786269

Reply By: wato35 - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 08:34

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 08:34
Thank you for all your posts, give us plenty to do.
Wato
AnswerID: 508716

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW-Ex NT - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:19

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:19
Don't forget Adelaide River, you could stay at the Mt Bundy Caravan Pk just 3.2 Klms out of town. , visit the Railway Station Museum, Adelaide River War Cemetery, and many WW2 sites at Mt Bundy and surrounding area.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 508720

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 13:48

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 13:48
Edith (Leliyn) Falls is worth a visit. The turnoff is about 50km south of Pine Creek. Great place for a swim and there's a walk around the top of the falls. The campground is run by National Parks.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 508738

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 17:29

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 17:29
if you do decide to do a jumping croc baot ride, then the mob that run out of the Fogg Dam area are who i'd suggest you go with. smaller boats and you get real close to the snapping hand bags. we also stopped in at Shady Camp for the night, just to see all the crocs that are at the weir wall when the tide comes in, being it was night time when this happened for us, it was like party lights on the water with so many red eyes about, absolutely amazing to see.
as mentioned already Ubirr in Kakadu at sunset is a must do (take a torch for the walk back, something to eat and drink up there and enjoy the view as the sun sets, no alcohol allowed though from memory), plenty of Aboriginal rock art to look at there also before the sun sets, so don't leave it too late to arrive for a look.
AnswerID: 508748

Follow Up By: Wheretonext - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 22:17

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 22:17
I second the crocodile cruise. closest you will ever get to a large crocodile. Google Brutus the crocodile and that will give you an idea. Was also cost friendly.
FollowupID: 786380

Sponsored Links