Across the Nullarbor. Where should we plan to go sightseeing?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 21:32
ThreadID: 101642 Views:4386 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day. We are travelling Adelaide/Perth in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations for "must sees" along the way, or with a bit of a detour? Likewise for good avernight camping spots. We have Camp 6 as a starter.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 22:47

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 22:47
Eyre Bird Observatory...... And coast track back to the highway.Head of the Bight.
AnswerID: 508785

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 23:08

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 23:08
Why not take a detour to Twilight Cove?
Western edge of the Hampton Tablelands and eastern edge of the Baxter cliffs.

Accessible from Madura, via the beach from Eyre, Cocklebiddy Roadhouse, or from Caiguna to west via the Baxter Memorial. There is a camp area not far from the cove.

I have some more info on this and several other places on your route in my blog: Baxter Cliffs, Hampton Tableland and some Western Nullarbor Tracks.

Enjoy your trip
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508788

Follow Up By: Adam H - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 23:54

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 23:54
great shots equinox, amazing 90% of the people doing the above trip wouldn't even know that spot even existed.
love these information sharing websites. thanks for the heads up.
FollowupID: 786389

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:02

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:02
Many thanks for all the trouble you took to do this. I will be adjusting our route to take some of these in.
FollowupID: 786400

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:49

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:49
Hello Equinox
I would especially like to get a photo of sunrise or sunset on biggish cliffs along the Bight. I imagine that this would be easier to get over towards WA where the cliffs face south east-ish. I'd like to be able to camp overnight and get up to take a shot at dawn. Any suggestions?
Thanks again.
FollowupID: 786406

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:05

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:05
Hi Mfewster,

Really hard to pinpoint spots - Sunrise south of Baxter Memorial and sunset at Toolinna Cove perhaps. The cliffs are generally facing south east-ish but do have local irregularities.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 786482

Reply By: Priscilla G - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:57

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:57
Pildappa Rock,north of Minippa,Wirrulla caravan park,cheap& check out the town jetty & great pub meals,Davenport Creek near Ceduna, Point Sinclair & Cactus Beach near Penong(good & tidy CP),Fowlers Bay & Scotts Beach.
AnswerID: 508813

Reply By: mike g2 - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:56

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:56
Depends on what you want to see and time to spare. You will see in Camps 6....
try: Gawler ranges*, OTC site inland from Ceduna, some of Googs track up to the monument, Dog Fence, Fowlers bay, nullabor caves, track to Cook, several cliff view sites going towards Eucla*, old teleg station, Jetty+ beach at Eucla*, track to Deakin Obelisk on trans line, several other tracks towards trans line between Eucla and Norseman, track to Cape Arid NP. Xing E-W via Nullabor a bit of a long and boring drive.
From Norseman on...varuios old/new mine sites , Kalg super pit*, a number of local sites such as Moorine rocks, etc..as you go towards Perth. takes more time, but can go via Esperance* and Fitzgerald NP, Bremer Bay , Albany* area and so on. caution: watch where you go in the bush anywhere near gold mining areas- old workings-deep holes and heavy veh traffic. Enjoy trip. I beleieve (if your keen), you can now go out to Maralinga site-turn off past Yalata-check on accessability ( Dept Defence) first..
have seen those marked * , worth the look.
MG.
AnswerID: 508831

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 14:13

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 14:13
Hi MF

Even though you will be too early for the whales it is still worth the visit to Head of Bight with good viewing platforms.Cliff to the west and dunes to the east.

A rough track in but Cocklebiddy Cave is awesome. We did not go caving. It took us several trips to find the track. We used Michelle's trip notes.

Stop at the Caiguna blowhole and feel the earth breathing. It is close to the Highway, and is signed. Good parking and picnic area.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 508855

Reply By: Bellowr - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 14:23

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 14:23
Read all the replies and mark the places on a map, then make sure you have plenty of time. Every thing that has been mentioned is worth seeing. Plenty of camping spots at rest areas.

Best advice, take your time and have a look.

Bellowr
AnswerID: 509074

Sponsored Links