Does it annoy you when your told where and what to?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:01
ThreadID: 101698 Views:3185 Replies:17 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Good advice is always handy, But when your thinking of a destination, and some one says "Oh wev'e been there, Do this ,do that,..Have had a afternoon of it! and a bit peed off with these know it alls, Think i would rather go there and find out for myself even if i stuff up, everyone has a different perspective of things i reckon.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:21

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:21
Only when it's by VikkO! Seriously though, isn't that what this forum is all about, sharing knowledge and experience. Doesn't peeve me at all. Costs me nothing to listen and you can end up a lot richer at the end of a trip having been to a few "special" places known only to the fortunate few, people who've been kind enough to pass that info on. Wouldn't have gottten to half the places I've been without the knowledge and advice of others.

Good advice can also save you getting into the odd sticky situation ("No mate the Gunbarrel is not the quickest way from Perth to Sydney for your Camry and trailer load of household goods!" ;-).

My 2c worth.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 509013

Reply By: Member - Shell P (W.A) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:29

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 17:29
Hi Axle,
Sorry I have to agree with Mick, as it is far better to hear about the places before you go, as I hate it when you tell someone you have been somewhere and they say "oh did you do this or see that?: & you didn't!!!!!!!!!
You can always filter what info you need & forget the rest.

Just my opinion,
Happy Travels Shell
Dave & Shell
2010 Spinifex Off-Road Van
2011 Landcruiser Altitude TTD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 509014

Reply By: Dreadnought - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 18:12

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 18:12
The easiest way to avoid it is not to tell them where you are going in the first place. I would imagine that a lot of people have found some great out-of-the-way spots by listening to other peoples previous experiences and advice. But if you're not interested, I would avoid telling them in the first place...............
AnswerID: 509018

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 18:58

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 18:58
Yeah, I guess it would pee you off a bit if you already know it all.

(;-))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 509021

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:59

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:59
classic....!

Like the Gumtree advert
"for sale Encylopedia Brittanica, full set
No longer required as the wife knows friggin everything"
FollowupID: 786750

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:18

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:18
Pop '
this is serious stuff. I had to give some advise today about where someone should go in life.

I invited my mate back home for dinner tonight.

My wife screams at me, "I've not done my hair, not done my make up, not done any housework, not done the dishes & can't be bothered with cooking! What the f did you invite him round for?"

I just kept my cool and said. "’Cos he's thinking of getting married."

FollowupID: 786757

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 20:44

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 20:44
RA,

That my friend shows true mateship and defines what the Aussie way is all about.
That mate of yours is a lucky man.

Good on you for giving him the benefit of your years of experience in the field of marital relations.

By the way, when do your divorce proceedings start. (;-))))))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 786778

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 21:03

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 21:03
After I get out of hospital. That may take a while as they still think they can save what I once had between my legs. They are still trying to work out how to make them round again. Some of the doctors said just inject them with Botox. I hope that works.

FollowupID: 786781

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 19:32

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 19:32
Guess so. Have a look at my signature. Some people just look at a perfect world and one that is harm free.

Maybe they have never lived in the real world or where you have to figure most things out by yourself.

AnswerID: 509024

Follow Up By: Axle - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:31

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:31
Lol RA,.....I like your perception on things.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 786649

Follow Up By: Member - kym111 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:36

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:36
Haha Rockape! That's like a saying I heard years ago.... "Better to be born slow, than try to pick it up along the way!"

Sorry to hijack your post, Axle!
Kym
FollowupID: 786653

Reply By: Nicole G - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:35

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:35
I'm with you Axle, it's really annoying some people think they know everything, however they are sometimes the ones that know nothing!!! What suits one does not always suit another. Just zone out when you are talking to them or get up and walk away!!! Xxx
AnswerID: 509031

Follow Up By: Axle - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:00
G/Day Nicole,.....What suits one does not suit another is exactley right, ..How many times do you see this.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 786763

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:58

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 20:58
I love hearing travellers tales and picking up extra tips of what to see. We have never been disappointed. We go and make up our mind, but have extra knowledge on what to do and what not to do.

For example, before going to the Northern Territory on our last big trip, from this end of the country it was all "Kadadon't". The closer we got, the more "Kadados" we heard, from the people who had actually been there. We were going as a priority place anyway, but the feedback from those who had been made it all the better.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 509034

Follow Up By: Member - Shell P (W.A) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 15:39

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 15:39
Classic example there MH, we heard the same, especially when they started charging to get in. But we have been to Kakadu 3 times & will be going again next month when we are up that way!!
Just filter what you need to know & Smile :)

Cheers Shell
Dave & Shell
2010 Spinifex Off-Road Van
2011 Landcruiser Altitude TTD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 786731

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:13

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:13
Hey Axle do you know what ??? I have travelled this wide brown country several times and could share shit loads of info with you, ( before I get moderated shit loads is now a standard unit of measurement).

With an attitude like yours, I am now prepared to give you sweet FA advise, ( sweet FA is also another standard unit of measurement).

Good luck with that mate.

Phil.

AnswerID: 509035

Follow Up By: BarryR1 - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 22:13

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 22:13
Flaming again Phil.....at least you're consistant!

If you are so across the forum, you'd know that Axel promotes some pretty good conversation peices. Why not contribute positively or even tongue in cheek as everyone else does.

Your negativity is your trademark and you wear it well. By your own standards of measurement you're sure full of it.

Here's hoping we don't run into you on one of your trips.

FollowupID: 786674

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 08:48

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 08:48
Are you stalking me Barry??

Personally I don't care what you say or think.

I don't think I will see you on the road as you spend to much time at home on the computer trying to find one of my posts to have a go at.

By the way did you read my response to your post on the last thread you were stalking me on??

Now get a life and leave me alone.

Phil
FollowupID: 786699

Follow Up By: BarryR1 - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:59

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:59
My goodness Phillip…stalking…now that’s a bit too harsher word to use. In one post only I’ve simply noted your consistent negativity across responses in the forum, a course of conduct that seems entrenched in your attitude. A lot of people enjoy this site (including me) and it's unfortunate that you stand out for all the wrong reasons (let me telgraph it to you Phil - Your bad attitude!).

I sense you’re a very angry man Phillip, and somewhat bitter as well. You come from nowhere and every response you make is negative. You claim to be an ex member that keeps changing your profile name. Perhaps if you were a little nicer and contributed in a positive manner, you wouldn’t need to continually hide behind the next identity.

Far from being an "Aussi Traveller" I reckon your a disgruntled couch potato of dubious intent yourself. Perhaps Facebook is the better place for you Phil.

Now wheres that remote for the tele?

FollowupID: 786711

Follow Up By: mountainman - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:28

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:28
common you pair of old timers...
settle down.
they made a movie from you two..

grumpy old men.. ha ha ha..

win ner
FollowupID: 786746

Follow Up By: Axle - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:51

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:51
G/Day Phil,.. Lets talk about Attitude!!,

If i ask for advice and get it ,I am !!, grateful for it,

If i don't ask for it, in relation to a destination, then i don't like one persons idea on where ,when ,and what i should do shoved down my neck.! Now after reading your ever so polite reply, I am hoping to meet you on the road somewhere for a chat, and hopefully your bogged up to the eyeballs, and my reply will be BYE.BYE.. Phil!

Cheers Axle.

FollowupID: 786762

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:57

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:57
Gawd, he's almost getting as grumpy as alloy c/t.....
FollowupID: 786772

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:27

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 21:27
Told where to go and what to do!!! Go to bed Axle and get some sleep, its late!! :)) Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 509038

Follow Up By: Nicole G - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 22:02

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 22:02
Go to bed Axle before they pick you up for a spelling mistake!!!!
FollowupID: 786671

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 23:15

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 23:15
I think a lot of it can come down to who's telling the story and how it is being told. Let's face it, not everyone is good at telling jokes.......
I reckon its just good to pick the bones out of it and take what you need. For us, we always like to look for ourselves. `One man's rubbish can be another man's treasure'.....
AnswerID: 509045

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 01:23

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 01:23
Sorry Axle, I'm another one who's happy to listen, it's amazing what one can pick up out of those conversations.
We like to find out for ourselves as well but it's also good to have some tips along the way.
Cheers
D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 509047

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 04:23

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 04:23
No it doesn't annoy either of us. It is a shared thing at our place and we don't do that to each other. We plan together and choose what we are both happy at doing. Sure we sometimes have to bow to the others wants but again that's what our life together thrives on. Doing something nice for the other half as well. Even going shopping for clothes!!!

Maybe that's why we are still married after 43 years. And enjoying every bit of it. And hopefully will be doing for years to come.

Phil
AnswerID: 509049

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 08:41

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 08:41
Suppose it depends on the context! If it is I've been down this river caught the biggest barra using this technique I will never get bored listening. This is a tip to those with some of these places up their sleeve. If your telling me that don't bother going there it is just not worthwhile then I might just go and have a look because it is part of my nature! Now if you are just rubbing my nose into somewhere you've been that's ok too because I'll either have been there and tell you so or if the story is really good then I will make an effort to go there some day.

Come to think of it I don't recall to many conversation where I felt annoyed, sorry Axle!

Hang on, maybe once when someone was telling of this great fishing spot and I didn't listnen closely about directions of where to fish. The place was Manangoora Station in NT and he was really rubbing my face into some great photos of great fish and trying to tell me EXACTLY where and how but I wasn't listening. I had to settle for just one decent fish when I went!

Kind regards
AnswerID: 509053

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 08:43

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 08:43
I know where you're coming from Axel, but I reckon the problem is that many people just don't express themselves well, and there are others with self concept issues.

"Don't go there. The bulldust is awful" has the same information as "bad bulldust there" yet some people feel they have to have the upper hand and express it as an order. Or maybe "don't go there" really means "I wouldn't go there again". I don't get peeved with this sort of stuff, just note that this bloke is probably telling me more about himself than he is about the road! Maybe he's unconciously trying to place me lower than him in the pecking order, but it's my choice to accept or reject that position. He's not empowering himself unless I let him! and he's not worth arguing with!

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 509054

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:05

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:05
Gday Axle,
In the context I think your talking, it doesnt generally bother me.
But in saying that........I hate being told where I can and cant camp and and being told a heap of rules really gives me the shits.

Cheers
AnswerID: 509057

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:31

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:31
Axle,

Try looking at it like mining diamonds, You gotta move a shift load of overburden to find a few gems. (;-))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 509060

Reply By: fisho64 - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:26

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:26
Axle to have got into that conversation you didnt enjoy, you must have (Im guessing) imparted that you were going there.
Hope it wasnt the case that after stating your destination and expecting adulation at your adventureousness, instead got a dismissive "been there mate heaps of times" and got rubbed the wrong way?? :-)
AnswerID: 509087

Sponsored Links