Fitting a blind

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 19:23
ThreadID: 10184 Views:2098 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I would like some detailed information on how to fit a blind. A trip coming up has a large number of river crossings and I have o experience with a blind.

Ideal size?
Material?
Good tie points?
How low?
Wrap around gaurds?
Secure by dropping bonnet on it at top?
To suit Prado 120 with bull bar fitted.
THanks
JOe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:01

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:01
I use a ute tonneu cover.
It lies on top of the engine under the bonnet.
I cut a little hole for the latch to go through so it catches the 1st catch..
Tuck in excess at the front in between the bullbar and the grille.
Little hooks on each side of bull bar..
Tie off top on mirrors...

Reply By: Member - Richard- Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:13

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:13
If you want a top quality ready made blind, then ARB St Peters. Sydney stock them. Other wise ancheap 8 x 4 tarp tied and taped on to stop water entering via the radiator vents and bonnet front and sides was all I was shown to do. Tie on to the antiroll bar or what ever you can find under the front and duct taped to the wings either side of the bonnet. Mind you I have never done it so I also would like to hear from anyone who has. Also do a search because some people have what appear to be good ideas like wiring the radiator fan up so it does not spin during the crossing.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 45091

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 22:54

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 22:54
First things first, if your asking this, join a club and do driver training. Playdoe engines would be over the $15,000 mark if you hydro lock one. 3.0 GU donks are around that. And you wont get warranty.

Best way to do it,

You remove the ariels so the blind seals easier, or have small holes cut in the blind and feed the ariels thru, but doesnt create as good a seal.

open bonnet,

Cover the whole engine with the blind, right back to the back of the bonnet, and out the sides, then tie to side mirrors on the doors. So if water goes the blind, it comes out up over the windscreen and none goes down the engine bay.

Make sure its wide enough to go out the side of the guards 2/4inches from teh edge of the bonnet, you can if your keen tie to something on the inside of the wheel arch.

Go down over the front of the bar and tie to the front diff (remembering the diff will move with suspension, so leave a bit of slack, not too much or wasting your time), pulling around the sides of the headlights, and down under to the diff if you want, but at least under the front of car, behind the bullbar and side, so the WHOLE front of the car is covered by the blind.

close the bonnet.
Drive at a constant speed creating a bow wave.

AnswerID: 45113

Follow Up By: Joe - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:46

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:46
Hi Truckster,
Thanks for the good detail enabling me to go prepared. Crossed lots of creeks but never very deep. So I,m going with a Pro tag a long tour for
"on the job experience" and guidance. I just needed to have the right basics .The tour route takes in 40 river crossings and a tarp is an essential item listed, but I expect most of the crossings will be fairly shallow.
Regards
Joe
FollowupID: 307457

Reply By: Phil P - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:57

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:57
These look good

http://www.michellessacs.com.au/images/wbra.jpg
AnswerID: 45198

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:41

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:41
Got one . Thay work real good , very easy to fit , and can also be used in spinerfex country as a seed catcher .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 307305

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 00:34

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 00:34
Hi joe is it Petrol or Deisel ??Prado TD Auto
AnswerID: 45239

Follow Up By: Joe - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:31

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:31
Hi Bernie,
It's petrol, with a snorkel and breathers to diff and trans.
Regards
Joe
FollowupID: 307455

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 00:48

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 00:48
Joe,

If it is the Turbo-Diesel you may have problem with air intake to the turbo as 120 Prado has double skin bonnet with intake just behind the grill (old one probably did too!) and a dirty big intake that seals to the underside of the bonnet.

I presume if this is the case you may only fit the blind actually at the crossings for low RPM work. I would not like to deprive the turbo of air but I suppose water may hurt it too! Any comments from Prado owners appreciated here.

If it is petrol then of course I have no idea!

StevenL Playdoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
AnswerID: 45241

Sponsored Links