Gold Coast to Melbourne - Which way ????

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 21:08
ThreadID: 101904 Views:1931 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks
Long time reader, but now time to ask for some help... Having done 3 months in 2008 from Melb to the Centre, to Darwin, Cairns, down the east coast back to Melb, I'm planning another trip before the kids get too old and leave home.... Basically we'll be doing Melb, Flinders Ranges, Birsdville, East back to Fraser Island, a week on the Gold coast before the wife and kids fly home, leaving me with the van to trek back home over 5-6 days. So I figured I'd fly the old man up from Melb to keep me company, but I'm in a quandary which way... Coast, inland, a mix ? Last time is was down to Coffs, Tamworth, Dubbo, Albury, home. I'm really looking for just free camping, parks, etc but have no real views one way or the other, so am looking for suggestions please... Off road is fine, although towing, and don't mind spending a day or two exploring along the way... Our setup if pretty self reliant, so we don't need powered sites, etc, or toilets for that matter. Looking forrwad to suggestions - Oh yeah, time of year will be late July ! Thanks all !
Cheers !!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 21:28

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 21:28
Do the Newell Highway, plenty of good free camps along the way, Mendooran, Forbes, Jerilderie, Tocumwal.

Have a look at the best motor museum in Aus at Forbes.
AnswerID: 509917

Follow Up By: andrew t - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 22:52

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 22:52
and drop in to temora and have a look at the aviation museum there its very good and worth a trip if your anywhere nearby
FollowupID: 788003

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Apr 29, 2013 at 08:11

Monday, Apr 29, 2013 at 08:11
Agree
there is also a good free camp not far from the museum.
FollowupID: 788013

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 20:47

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 20:47
I can't help you with Victoria but I travel inland NSW regularly. I absolutely loathe the Newell Highway, it's just plain ugly!
But if you were after the quickest way from Gold Coast to Melb., you have to pick the Newell if you are towing, as do all the B Doubles!
Slightly depends on what time of the year, and middle of winter is not the best time to be inland, so I suppose you may be looking at a lot of coastal routes.
To me the most picturesque area of inland NSW is what is called the slopes, but it tends to be undulating, a PIA if towing.
If you are heading through Tamworth, consider going across the Liverpool Plains (genuinely amongst the best farming country in Australia, up there with Darling Downs, Atherton Tablelands, Central Highland in CQ, Yorke Peninsula and parts of the Wimmera), through Coolah, down to Gulgong (town on old $10 note), across to Wellington, Molong, Cudal, Canowindra, Cowra, Grenfell, Temora (then you can go across to Newell @ West Wyalong and south or through Wagga and Albury and south). But again remember the average overnight temp is likely to be zero (or lower).

There are numerous places to camp on the side of the road, or the small town council CP won't cost you much.

Again depends how much time you have, but if you head down the coast past Coffs Harbour, you are pretty committed to going through Newcastle and Sydney. I can't help you much with the NSW south coast.
AnswerID: 510063

Follow Up By: fmindum - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:29

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:29
Hey Thanks Mark
I've put that into Google maps to have a look - sounds promising. It will be mid winter, so yep, it'll be chilly, but then one of the chilliest I recall in my lifetime was in Tamworth... Can't be worse than that ! The "undulation" is a bit of a worry, but then I'm not really in a hurry, having 5-6 days, so will be taking it pretty easy, soaking up whatever is there, so this looks like a very scenic option ! Thanks again.
FollowupID: 788194

Sponsored Links