Central Australia trip

Submitted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 12:38
ThreadID: 101959 Views:2382 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning happy travellers, I am re thinking some of my travel plans from Perth to Brisbane in June the Questions is which would be the quicker way to travel Boulia to Longreach and then Roma or to go Boulia, Winton, Roma, Ipswich. the reason I ask is time going over is going to be critical, and I need the quickest route to get toBrisbane. I am going to cut across the plenty highway and Donahue, from the Alice, to try and save distance and time, and to be honest bitumen roads bore me, so if any one has a suggestion of other routes please feel free to inform me of them.
thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 12:47

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 12:47
Sorry I made a mistake with the original post it should read Boulia to Charleville, and Roma. or go to Boulia Winton Longreach Roma Ipswich Brisbane, I hope that makes more sense to you all
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 510120

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 14:18

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 14:18
Feed the info into you Tom Tom and let him figure it out.
AnswerID: 510128

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 14:34

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 14:34
Broodie try this link. It's pretty nifty sent to me on Monday.

"EXTREMELY USEFUL......CHECK IT OUT !!
ROUTE MAPS... TO ANYWHERE, EVERYWHERE. AMAZING! USEFUL.
Hats off to whoever made this. This website is amazing. Select start and destination points, it will show you the way, by all modes of transport.
The Route with map, to any destination in the world by Air/Bus/Train"

Just click on link below and proceed further
http://www.rome2rio.com/

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510131

Follow Up By: Dr Hook - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 15:20

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 15:20
Duncan:
Tried it out for Adelaide-Mt Gambier: it sez 6hrs 3 minutes (it actually takes 4.5 hrs) by car, and it also sends you to Ballarat (Vic) if you want to go by bus(!) (there is actually a direct bus link).
I tried it a second time and it sends you Adelaide-Melbourne by train then back to Mt Gambier by bus.
I then tried Adelaide-Kingston(SE) it sez 9 hrs by car (but it actually takes about 3-3.5hrs).
Yep: AMAZING!
Dr Hook
FollowupID: 788178

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 15:56

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 15:56
Hi Duncan

Firstly thanks for a new trip planning site, namely rome2rio. We do not intend to ever go overseas but it may help in-country palnning.

I just tried out Canberra to Cameron Corne on the Rome2Rio (1557 Kms) site and it took me way across to Mildura and then Brojken Hill and up the highway to Camerons. It's much shorter through Wagga, Narrandra, Griffith, Hillston, Ivanhoe, Wilcannia, and White Cliffs then to the corner at 1356 Kms.

That's approximately 200 Kms extra.

Sorry but it just knows the tourist roads. Not local stuff.

I use Oziexplorer in conjunction with Google Maps. He did say that bitumen bores him so used a few dirt roads.

Phil
FollowupID: 788184

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:53

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:53
Hi Duncan,
I have just tried out the website that you have referred me to and I must be doing something wrong as all it wants me to do is jump on a flying machine and fly over, now I know my pathfinder is good but I don't think it can fly just yet lol. any Idea what I am doing wrong. Thanks
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 788189

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:58

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:58
Phil I didn't say it was accurate but a good little link if planning a trip.

Broodie, LOL it did the same for me, then used a bus and a train.
The car route only worked on one route I chose.

Bit of fun to play with. Yep flying usually is the shortest route.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 788190

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:42

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:42
Duncan

I told it to use a car only. They couldn't decide on who would build the railway station and which gauge they would use.Well we have to have some fun guys. I kid you not. Next time there ask Cheryl or Fenn.

Neither was I about my adding up. I know the roads from here to Camerons Corner and when Rome2Rio showed a line through Mildura and Broken Hill I inserted the towns into Google Maps and let it add up.

It didn't need accuracy. Just the track on my screen was enough. But that site is now in my favourites and only time will tell if it is helpfull.

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 788198

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:12

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:12
Broodie,

Just checked out the Hema maps, and I think the route through Boulia, Bedourie, Windorah to Charleville will only be 100 clicks less than the alternative. Also, the section from Cluny to Morney Plains station is all gravel, and if it's rough and you're in a hurry, you may lose time, and a tyre or two on that stretch.

The other downside is the bitumen from Morney to Charleville, which is mostly still narrow one lane stuff, so you may not keep up a good average if there's quite a bit of traffic.

Otherwise the scenic's great, and the weather should be magic about then.

The Longreach choice is almost all 110 kph, from Winton to Roma, but there are quite a lot of roadworks from Longreach to Blackall, then Morven to Toowoomba. One bloke I work with was held up for 40 mins at one set of works.

If it was me, in your shoes, I'd be travelling the southern route, for the better scenery, and possibility of a bit of night driving. You'll know if the skippys are bad by the amount of road kill along your route.

Safe travels,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510138

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:38

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:38
Thanks Bob, you make it sound like it will be my return trip route, as I shan't be in any hurry to get home, and I will want to stop and smell the roses or road kill and do some Photography on the way back, and I am looking forward to it with great anticipation. thanks once again Bob.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 788197

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:48

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 16:48
thank you all for the information, the research continues, from boulia to Brisbane would you allow 2 days travel as a minimum, or would you say more. which ever way I decide to go
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 510140

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 08:13

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 08:13
It would be 2 very long days. If you have been keeping the pace up from Perth maybe allow 3 days as you will be tired by the time you get over here.

Alan
FollowupID: 788238

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 10:39

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 10:39
Thanks Alan, I have just had a look at your upgraded camper trailer nice rig. getting back on topic you say two days is that going by either route that I am looking at doing. I am traveling with my Brother in law as a second driver so hopefully we won't be too tired, and as tloml keeps telling me "you are not twenty anymore,and you have to grow up some time.' lol
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 788248

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 12:36

Thursday, May 02, 2013 at 12:36
Yes either route.

It would mean early starts and late finishes. Remember at that time of year the days are quite short. And travelling east the daylight will be even shorter. Boulia is close to 30 mins later than Brisbane (by the sun)

With 2nd driver, you should be able to do it.

Alan
FollowupID: 788253

Reply By: Member - J&R - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:13

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:13
Google Maps.
Only been around for.......err, about 10 years.

AnswerID: 510142

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:32

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 17:32
Hi J&R, good old uncle google is getting a fair old work out believe you me, but as all uncles he only gives out half the info that is required by this slow learner L.O.L he has not driven down the tracks that I wish to travel, so he guesstimates the times with the electronic distance and as we all know driving the road is a lot different to googling, hence my questions of the people that have driven these roads
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 788196

Sponsored Links