Julia Creek and Boulia

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 16:43
ThreadID: 102152 Views:2452 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there
I am planning an outback trip June , July this year and would like to include Julia creek and surrounds and Boulia and surrounds. Does anyone have any info on free camp-sites in these vicinities and info about any waterholes for red claw getting and fishing.
Also open to suggestions for other places
We have an off road van, pulled by a F250.
Looking forward to your info
Thanks
Margaret
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 19:46

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 19:46
Margaret,

Pretty dry country. There is the odd water hole near Julia creek and one on the Mckinlay to Boulia road.

A nice run to Boulia is west from Julia creek to the Mckinlay Gillart Road which is about 80 k of dirt. Then from Mckinlay down the Mckinlay/Boulia Rd to Boulia about 80k of bitumen and then dirt. You can get fuel at the Mckinlay shell roadhouse which was a good place for a feed as well.

On this road you can turn off at Toolebuc and go over the Finucane Range to Middleton pub or carry on to the old Hamilton hotel and onto Min Min and Boulia.

Have a look HERE

AnswerID: 510821

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 19:55

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 19:55
Should have added, you could always go to lake Julius or lake Moondarra around the Isa. I don't know if they let you fish at the Corella dam at the Curry, if you choose to go via the Isa to Boulia.
FollowupID: 788927

Reply By: guy007 - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 19:54

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 19:54
Hi Margaret,
Cant help you with Julia Creek but camped 3 nights ago at Boulia. There is a camp site called 3 mile waterhole on the Burke River. If you are in Boulia head east over the Burke river bridge. Go past the Bedourie turnoff on the right and take the next road to the left. It is indicated by a yellow and black roadsign indicating a road to the left. Only about 500 metres from the bridge. Follow that dirt road to its end. You will find plenty of flat campsites next to the river and you will not have to unhitch if you dont need to You probably will be on your own. The river bank is quite steep to the waterhole but at the very end of the road you will find easy access from a sandbank . Waterhole has red claw and some yellowbelly. Be mindful that the west has had very little flow in the rivers and levels are dropping rapidly. This has affected the fishing in many spots.
Hpoe this helps.
Guy
AnswerID: 510822

Reply By: BV - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 21:12

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 21:12
Margaret,

Having spend 3 days at Julia Creek earlier this week, I can tell you that there is an "RV Friendly Camping Area" on Julia Creek on the edge of town. You get a free permit at the visitor info centre. No toilets, but picnic tables, 'bush cook camps" and rubbish bins. There were about 6 RVs there when I was in town.

Bruce
AnswerID: 510826

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 21:27

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 21:27
we have stayed there ourselves and it's a nice spot IMHO, the park about 500mtrs back just up the road closer to town has a toilet block there to use if the need is required. don't be concerned if you see a mouse like creature running around camp here, it is a Dunnart and they dart about the place at night time.

Kakadu%202011/tn_086.jpg.html" href="http://s281.photobucket.com/user/qld-bundy-drinker/media/Kakadu%202011/tn_086.jpg.html" target="_blank">
FollowupID: 788935

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:06

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:06
Just South of McKinlay up on the hill is a large pull off area , good for a night if it's dry. Also West of Middleton is the Cawnepore Lookout in the Lilyvale Hills, a beautiful spot for photo's.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510850

Sponsored Links