Southern Cross to Menzies

Submitted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 17:23
ThreadID: 102241 Views:3960 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
To all my fellow travellers, would someone be kind enough to answer the following question. " Is it possible to drive from Southern cross to Menzies without having to go through Kalgoorlie, and would you save time and distance by doing this?"
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 18:05

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 18:05
In a nut shell- yes. Head north out of town and a number of the roads soon turn to gravel and head north east towards Menzies. The main track is the Everston Menzies road but there area number of others that feed onto this road.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511176

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 18:36

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 18:36
Thanks for that Duncan, I don't know that area all that well and north of Southern cross, not at all. I did some security work on a mine at Marvel loche back in the mid eighties, so that area I am quite comfortable with. I think I shall have to go and get a newer map. Once again thank you Duncan.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789331

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 19:01

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 19:01
Hi

Yes there are tracks/gravel roads across this area but debatable as to whether you would save any significant amount of time compared to just taking the standard route, in fact it may well be slower - certainly would be good for a change though.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789333

Follow Up By: stamps - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:28

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:28
The gravel road has resently been graded so you should be able to sit at "comfortable" speed, if it rains at the time of your travels take the bitumen.

Regards,
Stamps
FollowupID: 789348

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:39

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:39
Southern Cross to Bullfinch at the T junction turn right and follow the road around until you come to another T junction where you have a choice to go straight on up the Mt Jackson Road or turn right and take the Bullfinch Evanston road. Both are very good road capable of 80ks.
The Mt Jackson road eventually puts you back on the Bullfinch Evanston Road at the Marda Dam intersection, but as the name implies it takes you via the Mt Jackson homestead on the Mt Jackson Station.
One problem with the Mt Jackson Road is the lake system north of the barrier fence and if there has been rain in the area it can be a bit slippery slidey or be lakes can be flooded depending on the amount of rain. The Bullfinch Evanston road doesn't have the lake problem.
Then right at the top fo the Bullfinch Evanston Road turn right at the T junction onto the Evanston Menzies road which takes you right to Menzies. The distance is approx 350ks.Southern Cross is the last place for fuel if you go this way.
AnswerID: 511193

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:43

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:43
That should read "...or the lakes can be flooded..."
FollowupID: 789351

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 22:00

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 22:00
Hi

Southern Cross to Menzies, via the bitumen is ~ 355 km. I suspect there is no faster way ..unless you are practicing for the Australian Safari :) I would classify any "shortcut" this way as a "scenic route".

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789353

Reply By: Dennis P (S - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:48

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 21:48
Hi mate,

Another suggestion is to head to Coolgardie, refuel if you need to, chuck a 'lefty' and head up via Ora Banda.
Was up that way 2 weeks ago and the road was OK.

Cheers,
Dennis
AnswerID: 511195

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 23:45

Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 23:45
You won't save time going via the dirt, or via the scenic Helena and Aurora Ranges - search for trek notes on this region. But it will be more scenic. The main highway will be quicker.

I agree that the road north of Coolgardie to Ora Banda is in good condition and was there before Easter. A little corrugated in places, but okay. You move back onto the main highway from Siberia, unless you continue on to Lake Ballard and turn into Menzies from there.

Safe travel speed on the dirt is 80 - 90kmh.

Tim
AnswerID: 511200

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, May 17, 2013 at 11:04

Friday, May 17, 2013 at 11:04
Thank you one and all, the info was priceless, I think we shall go via Kal, just for the higher road speed. I have just added the route into our return plans as when we come back from Queensland we won't be in such a rush, and I love dirt roads, and it will expand my travel experience. Once again thank you all very helpful.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 511225

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Friday, May 17, 2013 at 11:21

Friday, May 17, 2013 at 11:21
Broodie H3,

It seems you are travelling the Great Central Road to Queensland and back.

My thoughts are that on the return journey you will be very pleased to be on bitumen once you arrive at Laverton and not feel inclined to go off it again for some time. You're also likely to be tired of travelling and just want to head home. The GCR is a LONG drive.

One advantage of heading north from Southern Cross, in particular if you head via the picturesque Helena and Aurora Range, and also via Lake Ballard with it's interesting statues in the lake, is that you feel like you're on holidays right in your own backyard and early on in the trip.

It will also be a shake down for annoying things that might go wrong. They are easier to get fixed in Leonora or Laverton before you head onto the GCR at Laverton and have to do roadside fixes with the next proper help several thousand km ahead.

We can often rush off to our destination and miss special parts of the journey that we never get around to going back to see.

Tim

FollowupID: 789396

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, May 17, 2013 at 14:28

Friday, May 17, 2013 at 14:28
There are many special places to go to and camp in that general area north of Southern Cross, its just a case of getting off the main formed road that by passes everything and exploring.
FollowupID: 789406

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, May 17, 2013 at 15:23

Friday, May 17, 2013 at 15:23
Hi Hj61, I am heading for Queensland via the GCR, and we shall be a bit pressed for time going over but coming back time will not be an Issue, so far I am allowing for seven days to get to Brisbane going via the GCR and two to three weeks coming back not towing anything just a tent and a swag like we used to do in the old days before the caravan, and grand Children, so I am looking forward to getting back to the basics of camping under the stars with the camp fire going of a night, and some peace and quiet. not a caravan park. And also of seeing some more of this great country of ours with such a young history, and seeing where people have gone with only horses and camels, and no toilet paper. I am now getting carried away with the trip as it is getting closer to leaving time so I am driving everybody in the family mad with talking about it and with preparation of the vehicle and everything else. I digress. thanks to everyone for their input
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789407

Sponsored Links