Riversleigh World Heritage Area - road conditions

Submitted: Friday, May 31, 2013 at 14:43
ThreadID: 102519 Views:3668 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I will depart from Sydney on our 'lap' next month. We plan to visit Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill) National Park, coming in from Burke and Wills Roadhouse in about mid July, staying 2-3 days at Adels Grove. I figure that the best way to visit the Riversleigh WHA is to travel from Adels Grove, and thence travel to Camooweal via the track/road to the Gregory Downs Camooweal Road.

I have a Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill) NP Visitors Guide, that describes access to Riversleigh from Mt Isa as "via Camooweal Road and then a dirt road that passes Riversleigh Homestead and Miyumba bush camp. For those planning a day trip from Lawn Hill Gorge, D Site is a 51 km drive."

We'll be towing a Coromal Corvair poptop (5.41m, tandem axles, 16 inch Bridgestone AT tyres), with our 2009 diesel Prado.

My concern is whether our rig will be able to handle the Lawn Hill to Riversleigh, and then the Riversleigh to Camooweal legs - by driving to the conditions and with max care as if we bust something we will be far from mechanics, and a major problem will jeopardise the rest of our trip around WA, etc. Appreciate any advice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 17:58

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 17:58
We travelled that route 2 years back in the reverse direction - as I recall, the only stony section was that area east of Riversleigh to the main Gregory Downs rd. Otherwise, roads in general were very good gravel. Taken quite easily where required, it should be a good drive for you. Worth the look at Riversleigh - fascinating to see the fossils in-situ.
AnswerID: 512259

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 19:49

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 19:49
Haven't been up that way for some years, Greg, but last time I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of new bitumen, and the upgrading of the remaining gravel sections. We used to live at Planet Downs in the late '80's and that road was a real endurance track back then.

If you decide to come down that way, and it'll save you heaps of K's if you do, then I'd suggest following the road down to the Barkly H'way junction, rather than head straight across to Camooweal. Think this junction is about 75kms from Camooweal. This road, up to the Gregory Pub, is usually graded just before the Canoe races, on May Day weekend, so it might still be in fair order in July.

The country through there is quite interesting so it won't be much of a chore to just poke along, have a few Kodak moments, and look after your 'van,

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 512277

Reply By: Member - Peter L (VIC) - Friday, May 31, 2013 at 23:23

Friday, May 31, 2013 at 23:23
Traveled from Barkly Hwy turning north 70 km east of Cammoweal on our way to Lawn Hill in Prado 120. Found some extremely rough bits of road which needed significantly reduced tyre pressure to take the sting out of the road. Demolished my UHF bracket. Beautiful area. Stayed at Lawn Hill reserve and felt it was worth a return visit. Not sure about caravan. Speed and tyre pressure mods essential on some bits. May be different now.

Enjoy the trip. There are a few day trips from Adeles Gve as well.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512301

Reply By: Will be Y - Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 16:50

Monday, Jun 03, 2013 at 16:50
G'day Greg C2
We did that area in 2010 in the reverse to the way you are considering, our trip went west from Isa to the turn off 70 km east of Camooweal then up the bitumen road to the Gregory Downs/Camooweal road; work was being done on this road then so more could now be sealed, we then turned north west onto the Riversleigh road, crossed the Gregory river and onto Adels Grove. Gravel roads were in fair condition in September and we had no problems towing our 20ft Nova van, one creek crossing between Riversleigh & Adels Grove was a bit rough but it was OK to get through. We camped at the slab crossing on the Gregory river, which is a beautiful spot, the fossil site is well worth the hike around the hill with some amazing rock formations. Boodjamulla [Lawn Hill] Gorge well worth the time there especially do a canoe trip into the gorge. Adels Grove is a nice area to camp no power sites, plenty space between van sites, great restaurant & bar
We came out of Adels Grove to Gregory Downs the road to the mine turn off was ordinary but from then on it was a good gravel road, take care with the road trains to and from the mine.
enjoy your trip
cheers,
Will B Why
AnswerID: 512464

Sponsored Links