Houseboat on the Murray River

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013 at 23:54
ThreadID: 102829 Views:1669 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day mates,

for my next trip to Oz (Oct-Nov, Sydney - Perth) i plan a 3-4 day trip on the murray river.
But, because i'm traveling alone i got no reservation. They say they only hire to couple or more people cause the handling....

Does anyone know an alternative?

Thx. and regards

Heiner
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 06:54

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 06:54
Hi Heiner. As the Murray is over 2500klm long, it may depend on which area you wish to travel on. Mildura is a fairly large and central town so it may be a starting point. There is a lot of information on this Mildura website . You could join a Paddle Steamer cruise where it is all done for you. Hope you enjoy your trip. Cheers,Bob
AnswerID: 513358

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 07:36

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 07:36
G'day Heiner,

Not sure about other states, but I suggest you contact the Houseboat Hirers Association in South Australia to see if you can obtain a more definitive answer if single person hire is possible.

I cannot see it as a problem. There is a multitude of hirer's looking for bookings and a two berth houseboat would suit an individual's needs and be easy to handle.

I seem to end up doing the majority of the driving when our group of friends hire a houseboat and the fact that only during daylight hours can you be on the river, means that one person can easily operate the boat without any compromise to safety.

I have only been on the South Australian section of the mighty Murray, but then that is the best section anyway:-)
Sections between Morgan and Waikerie offer great scenery, cliffs that reflect the most amazing colours early morning or late afternoon and plenty of landing sites to moor the boat at night.

You will spend some memorable days taking a houseboat on the Murray.

Good Times Heiner!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 513360

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 09:50

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 09:50
Quote" Not sure about other states, but I suggest you contact the Houseboat Hirers Association in South Australia to see if you can obtain a more definitive answer if single person hire is possible."

These are a large craft that the breeze catches easily. You need a crew member with you for safety.

There are paddle steamer cruises of several days duration from Mildura and Echuca. I suggest you search for the tourist sites for these ports.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 792068

Reply By: hiluxcab - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:33

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:33
Up at Echuca Moama one place that i know of has a small houseboat like a camper boat that would be ideal for one person
picture # 13
http://moamaonmurray.com.au/houseboat/?page_id=170#gallery[pp_gal]/11/

I have no connection with this company
AnswerID: 513365

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 19:20

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2013 at 19:20
G'dayHeiner, The Berri Backpackers Hostel (South Australia) have their own Housboat that is avalable for hire by the backpackers. It has kayaks on it as well. It's not overly large and could be managed by one person although i'm sure you wouldn't have any problems getting a few willing ladies to join you.
AnswerID: 513410

Sponsored Links