perth - sydney via darwin

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:26
ThreadID: 10288 Views:2876 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all I was wondering if anybody on this forum had any advice about doing a long distance trip ,eg from perth to sydney via darwin ? I am planing on doing this trip around july-august 2005 in a 95 range rover p38. I plan to visit places such as shark bay, ningaloo ,bungle bungles ,parts of the kimberleys and kakadu cape york if time permits and down the coast to frazer and morton and syd. Im looking for info about what spares are like for rangies pref p38s in the major towns, do most big towns have Land Rover dealers ? also if anyone else has done this kind of trip and can recomend any places not to miss ? and or probs they may of had.
I know the rangie needs to be setup quite well to head off to some these places. The car is being shipped from the Uk and already has some good kit on it but I will sort the rest out when it arrives in Perth.
Thanks
Craig
1995 p38 4.6 hse
PS no jokes about range rovers I have heared them all and I wont listen as I have owned toyotas and land rovers and have had no mojor probs with either.
pss and no im not a pom I just happen to be living in the uk
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:22

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 15:22
From Perth to the East Coast you will find a Land Rover dealer in Perth, Darwin, Alice Springs and Townsville. There should be more down the coast towards Sydney. Spares to carry are the usual belts and hoses, spare wheel-bearings and above all an extra spare tyre. Also carry spares that Rangies usually use frequently.The road is sealed all the way to the east coast unless you want to divert on excursions in to the bush. Use this site for your trip research. Go to Trip Planning at the top of the page and then Trek Notes. This should give you a fair idea of what to see and do. At the moment fuel prices range between AUD $1 to $1.60 per litre for unleaded petrol. You can pay more in outlying communities.

Cheers,

Willem1958 Patrol Pretty flash eh?
AnswerID: 45555

Follow Up By: craig - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 20:00

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 20:00
thanks for the info Willem , it all helps I aready have got the usual stuff belts hoses spare shocks etc. I will get a few other things that rangies like to break.
thanks for the tip on the trip planning part of the site will put it to good use. at $1 to $1.60 per litre thats still less than it cost me here in the UK to fill the beast is about £75 here.
thanks again
Craig
FollowupID: 307666

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:09

Thursday, Feb 05, 2004 at 22:09
Have you researched this route ?? IMHO you are looking at a 4 (four) month ...minimum trip to cover this area ... given that one expects you will not be driving at night and want to see something other than tracks, treks, and service stations !! You are talking one hell of a trip in two months ... not that it can't be done but you will see nothing if that is all the time you have to spend !!! sorry but you did ask for advice !!
steve
AnswerID: 45621

Follow Up By: craig - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 00:14

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 00:14
Yes Steve I have done some research on this route , I have done it before but when I was a kid in the 70s, and was looking to find out if anything had changed much ? I'm sure it has as I found out after a short trip back to OZ from the uk 3 years ago ,I went to monkey mia and couldnt belive how much that place had changed I remember swimming with the dolphin's and camping on the beach now it seems to be over run with tour busses and people.
Sorry when I said july august I meant thats when I will be starting the trip I hope to be in syd by october november !! have no real time limit.
FollowupID: 307708

Sponsored Links