Going to Birdsville Races

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 15:24
ThreadID: 102967 Views:2953 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hope you can help !
We are going to go to the races (first timers) and would just like to know where to camp, we have Full Off Road camper Trailer and are self sufficient(water/power/shower/toilet) We will be arriving on either Wednesday or Thursday and staying on till following Wednesday so we can see the town with less people around. All help greatly recieved
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rare - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 16:08

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 16:08
I and a couple of mates are going to races as well.

We will be in tents/swags and looking to stay in caravan park or on the Diamantina River.

Hope this helps.

http://www.birdsvilleraces.com/About/wheretostay.html

AnswerID: 513822

Reply By: NTVRX - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 16:35

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 16:35
We went to the races two years ago & camped near the causeway on the Diamantina. We arrived 10 days before the races & most of the good sites near the river were taken. The Caravan Park will be full of Safari Type tours for the races....hectic & very crowded. The pub only sell XXXX during the race times.....bread at the bakery $7.50 a loaf.....bread (frozen) at the Mobil Servo & General store $7.00!! Gas bottle 9KG refill $67....my mate nearly had a stroke when told the price!! Mobil around the corner from General Store & Main garage is usually cheaper for fuel. A pastie & Camel pie from the bakery $14!!!.....there are places to see & go to like Big Red that's always fun watching 4WD's trying to get up the big sand dune. If you go out that way don't forget to low your tyre pressures. There are some good stalls selling memorabillia & even a seafood semi trailer selling nice big QLD Prawns!! You will enjoy the atmosphere it is very well organised with everyone having fun.....I was originally invited to judge the wet T shirt comp but they don't have that shameful behaviour any more!!! Have fun. ps. There are plenty of fresh water/drinkable outlets around so you don't have to worry about carrying in tons of water to drink. Rob.
AnswerID: 513823

Reply By: cookie1 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:04

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2013 at 19:04
We typically cross the small creek and camp on the other side - don't go across the concrete it will damage your underside, there is a shallow rocky crossing a bit further back from the bridge. We normally arrive and find a spot on Thursday PM so you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

If you do venture out then make sure you have an air compressor, you wouldn't believe how many people go out that way without one and try to crest the dunes with full tyres, they can't let them down because they can't pump them up - go figure.

Be very aware the boys are hot on drink driving and other stuff and they have been known to hold Court sessions over the weekend.

It is a great fun weekend - have been biannually since 2000 and have yet to see a horse go around the track :-)

cheers
AnswerID: 513831

Reply By: wato35 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:01

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:01
I have been to the races a few times and I find the Birdsville Caravan Park the best.
Yes you will have to pay and line up for a shower, but you are right in town.
If you stay out on the river you always have to drive to where you want to go.
The boys and girls in Blue are always doing breathalyser test (which is good).
You can also get the bus from town to the races, I am not sure they pick up down on the river. Someone else might be able to give you that info.
I am sure you will have a great time no matter where you camp.
Wato
AnswerID: 513866

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 13:27

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 13:27
The bus stops on the way to & from the racecourse, you cannot book at the caravan park during the race week so it is first come first served.

There are portable showers in the town and if you camp by the creek then you can always walk like we do - definitely don't drive.

cheers
FollowupID: 792668

Follow Up By: mark r9 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 15:03

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 15:03
what r the supplies like do they have a good stock of ice on hand
FollowupID: 792684

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 15:17

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 15:17
They bring in a semi trailer at the Shell servo so yes Ice is not an issue and it is reasonably priced too

cheers
FollowupID: 792686

Follow Up By: mark r9 - Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 17:19

Thursday, Jun 27, 2013 at 17:19
Thanks cookie
FollowupID: 792695

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 19:26

Friday, Jun 28, 2013 at 19:26
do the beer tickets purchased at the pub roll over year to year?
found some unused ones in my wallet
cheers
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 513948

Sponsored Links