Where to stay between Middleton, Qld and Alice Springs, NT

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 14:10
ThreadID: 103160 Views:2632 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, hoping for some information/advice, as you are always so helpful on here!

Heading up to the cape in August and from there heading over to Alice Springs / Uluru before returning to Sydney.

My question is in relation to the section between Procupine Gorge and Alice Springs. Wondering where we should be staying.

Had intended doing Middleton, Tobermorey Station, Jervois Station, N'Dhala Gorge, Alice Springs, but wondering what your thoughts are. Had also been reading that Tobermorey Station may not be an option any more (have read that it closed to the public years ago, but then see conflicting statements on the web - does anyone know?)

Are there places to stay in each of these locations - camping (campground or bush camping) or hotel?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wombat100 - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 14:54

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 14:54
Good bush camping almost anywhere along there...
and you could try Gemtree at the Western end.

AnswerID: 514519

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 15:36

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 15:36
Middleton is an iconic outback pub with free camping & gold coin showers, but its
biggest drawcard is the living legend Lester Cain, mine host. Lester may have retired to Longreach by now..& is a pioneer of the old coaching times & an expert on camels.

Tobermory Station is open, but a more pleasant welcome was given at Jervois, when we passed through several weeks ago..basic campground with showers & loos near
the homestead.

If going to the East Macs I would suggest taking the Pinnacles Road just before
Gemtree & staying at Ambilindum Station, very scenic country & a nice atmosphere..
powered sites..grass..& on station 4WD treks..they will provide mudmaps...all in the
accom fee which was reasonable. Check their website in Google. Only about 130 Km
from Alice & close to Artlunga,N'Dahla, Trephina etc.

Enjoy your trip.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 514522

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 20:12
If you don't need the toilets or showers, it's good camping near the (usually dry) Plenty River. Take the track on the north side of the road and follow it. It only goes about a kilometre. Nice camping away from the dusty road.

Steve
FollowupID: 793621

Follow Up By: Member - Chargergirl76 - Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 14:16

Friday, Jul 12, 2013 at 14:16
Thanks for the info oldbaz, have heard about the pub at Middleton, will definately check that out.

I'm assuming prebooking is not required for Tobermory Station or Jervois?
FollowupID: 793761

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013 at 20:17
Last year we went that way.

We turned off south onto the Binns Track to Cattlewater Pass. We travelled through there to Arltunga and onto Ruby Gap.

It is a very interesting and picturesque drive. Well worth the effort but you need to be self sufficient because it's pretty remote and there's not a lot of traffic.

Steve
AnswerID: 514540

Reply By: Member - Chargergirl76 - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 13:37

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013 at 13:37
Thanks all, appears i may at least be on the right track! I'll check out the other locations mentioned aswell. Toilet/showers not an issue for a couple of nights if need be.
AnswerID: 514566

Sponsored Links