Scone NSW don't bother going bthere with your RV

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:53
ThreadID: 104388 Views:3765 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
We decided to visit the Scone area and decided on the Gundy camping ground. Very basic but immaculately clean amenities. The navigator said too basic so we headed to Scone.
There are two caravan parks in Scone and both are expensive, are geared for permanents and would score very low in any rating poll.
The Tourist Information people suggested Lake Glenbawn but didn't bother mentioning caravan parks in other nearby towns.
If you decide to Lake Glenbawn phone them first and confirm their prices. We didn't we looked on the web site and headed off. The advertised special on THEIR website was stay seven nights pay for six. Not their web site they said when we booked in. The website also forgot to mention that they charge extra for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. So do yourself a favour phone first or better still go somewhere else.
Scone itself does not have any parking for caravans or vehicles towing trailers so shopping is difficult.
My impression is the Scone Council doesn't want us there. So I will help them achieve their aim.
PeterM qld
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: allein m - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:24

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:24
That is so sad I now live in Broken Hill and they are very well set up the shopping center has a set area for people with vans and the tourist people are very good bend over bend over backward to help you out

tourist dollars are important income for many towns why one would not do every thing in there power to get that money does not make sense to me

thank you for letting us know
AnswerID: 518424

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:51

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:51
We are now staying in a little village called Cassilis where the Bowling Club has set up a camp site with about six powered sites and with new amenities.
Plus they have great meals on Friday nights. $10 per night 2 people powered. $50 for seven nights.
They want the RV tourist dollar too
PeterM (Qld)
FollowupID: 798252

Follow Up By: allein m - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 14:03

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 14:03
I can r ember Albany western Australia 40 years ago it had lost whaling and wool they went for the tourist dollar some things changed

Saterday and Sundays were normal working days and many had days off during the week

Hyden they change and many other towns because people want value for the money they hand out

I get annoyed at some place they do nothing but expect you to stop and spend money.

Broom is a good example there was a storey on ABC country wide Broom had slowed down advertising and sort of let the promotion of the town drop and they are paying a huge price

some motels are forming alliances and paying for advertising

Broken Hill council have decided to make a huge change is there revenue by not relying on mining income and they are going to have to work hard to get there but they see that in the future mining will stop for ever they just won a case where perilya were over charged some thing like 6 million dollars if they had lost the case they would have been in serious trouble . the land value was incorrectly assessed at far too high it was reassessed at a lower rate and they mine wanted a refund they lost the case and the shire were lucky

FollowupID: 798258

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:00

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:00
G'day Peter

I have lived in Scone for 31 years and would have to agree with you.

Both caravan parks are very ordinary, with too many permenants, and to my knowledge there is not a dump site in Scone.

Most caravans etc park next to the railway station/mare and foal park, but only for a break then then on their way again..

Dunedoo is a nice place to stop as well Peter.
FollowupID: 798286

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:24

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:24
Hi allein m

Do you have any links to information about this win?

"Broken Hill council have decided to make a huge change is there revenue by not relying on mining income and they are going to have to work hard to get there but they see that in the future mining will stop for ever they just won a case where perilya were over charged some thing like 6 million dollars if they had lost the case they would have been in serious trouble . the land value was incorrectly assessed at far too high it was reassessed at a lower rate and they mine wanted a refund they lost the case and the shire were lucky."

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 798292

Follow Up By: allein m - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:37

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:37
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-23/months-more-to-wait-on-valuer-general-appeal/4838918/?site=brokenhill

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-05/land-rates-slashed-for-mining-company/4353148

there may be some more but you can follow the information from here

the most important is the shire went to court and after a appeal they won the case and do not have to pay the over payement
FollowupID: 798294

Follow Up By: allein m - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:41

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:41
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-16/broken-hill-mines-revaluation-goes-back-to-court/4892266

FollowupID: 798295

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:36

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:36
Thanks AM :)
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798309

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:39

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:39
Full hyperlink for third item in case anyone else is interested in this off topic diversion

Broken Hill News

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798310

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:01

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:01
Hi Peter M,

Problem with Scone is there is a lot of mining in the lower Hunter area so tourists don't rate.

I stayed at Glenbawn Dam for one night and paid around 25 for the night. We had the pick of many spots as it was mid week. (See pic in signature line)
I didn't like the fact that there were only one or two amenities blocks and that you would have to drive to them unless you set up camp near them. Otherwise I quite liked it.
There again I guess it would be the mining fraternity that pushes weekend prices up at Glenbawn Dam. Whatever the traffic will bear I guess.

I have found some good locations around Tamworth, a couple of hours up the road.
Wallabadah is a good over nighter. Then there is Lake Keepit between Tamworth and Gunedah.

Up the road near Inverell there is Copeton Dam which has excellent facilities and is reasonably priced. One of our favourites in fact.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518434

Follow Up By: Member - mike g2 - Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:02

Monday, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:02
Have read posts, if minesites nearby, expect accommodation costs to rise.. try newman or pt hedland !
MG
FollowupID: 798524

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:46

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 18:46
We liked Gundy...more like free camping as opposed to van park stuff.....suppose it all comes down to what you expect out of a place..

The pub is now open again I believe, so that's another bonus..

I bought a van 1 1/2 yrs ago and have gone away over 40 times and by shear coincidence, have not stayed in a van park yet !!!!
AnswerID: 518439

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:16

Thursday, Sep 19, 2013 at 20:16
hi Peter,

long time since we went to Glenbawn. We didn't stay then either. Baking hot day and they told us the pool was only for people in cabins - camping riff raff could just roast.
AnswerID: 518447

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 07:27

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 07:27
Yesterday I emailed the NEW managers of Lake Glenbawn Park (at the suggestion o caravancaravan) and set out my complaint.
They replied fairly quickly and said the receptionist had made a mistake and if she had in putted the 7 night request the computer would have shown the discounted rate.
They also offered their apology and offered a 7 night stay FREE.
They felt I had been a bit harsh comparing them with previous managers though.
have accepted their apology and have taken a rain check on their offer of FREE camping.
As a further note Caravan World have an article about caravanners leaving their waste water behind when staying in sites that are marked "self contained vehicles only". They should visit places like Lake Glenbawn and see what campers & others leave behind because they are too lazy to drive or walk to the amenities (about 1km max). Toilet paper everywhere. It's a bit much to expect park staff to clean up after you, but then Australians are all about ME 100% of the time these days, stuff everybody else.
Thank you to every body that responded to my report about Scone.
Regards
PeterM (Qld)
AnswerID: 518461

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:58

Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:58
We have stayed at Glenbawn a couple of times and had a good time ....camped at one of the "bush" type spots and the only downside is as said, driving up to the loos.....

Didn't really like the look of the van park there as it seemed a bit dated, but as that's not really our scene, it didn't matter..

As always, visiting out of busy times is the best way to get a nice peaceful camp right beside the water..
FollowupID: 798340

Reply By: Tim - Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 20:53

Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 20:53
I know this is late but I went through Scone yesterday and I think you are a little harsh.
So a few people you dealt with screwed you around and as a result the entire town suffers?
The 2 van parks were not to your liking and the council have not provided ( yes the council are responsible for parking) for your RV's?
What about the servos, supermarkets and the coffee shops? Too bad so sad? They all miss out on any money because of 2 van parks and the council? Ad lets not forget that you ended up in Scone because you were not happy with a free camp.
I think your review in a public forum is a little harsh and is probably not helping your "RV" cause.
Tim
AnswerID: 518831

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 21:21

Friday, Sep 27, 2013 at 21:21
Tim I share your sentiment, but unfortunately we live in a society were it is ALL ABOUT ME.

A shame really

Phil.
FollowupID: 798750

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 07:03

Saturday, Sep 28, 2013 at 07:03
Good morning Tim and Phil
Please read my original comment through again, then read my advice about the response from the new people at Lake Glenbawn.
We did NOT leave a free camp to go into Scone, Gundy at $12.50 per head is far from free. Lake Glenbawn at $21 per night unpowered and no drinking water is NOT cheap and not Free.
We spent a lot of money (for us) in Scone so their economy didn't suffer. The people at the Woolworths Service Station were extremly nice and helpfull too.
Please also read other peoples comments about Scone.
No it isn't all about me BUT it is all about telling it as I believe it is. I know that these days you can't always tell it the way it is for fear of offending some people, but so be it.
If you want to go somewhere where the locals know all about looking after travellers and having pride in their community go to Cassilis.
Stay safe and stay well
regards
PeterM
FollowupID: 798763

Sponsored Links