Best Way to get to Mungo National Park

Submitted: Friday, Sep 20, 2013 at 22:47
ThreadID: 104414 Views:2719 Replies:4 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
We are heading out to Mungo National Park and then onto Menindee next week and I was hoping someone could tell me the best way to get there from Wagga. Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lou
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul L (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 00:20

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 00:20
Lou, Advice without knowing your set-up may be misleading, but we were in Kinchega NP then Mungo NP in the last fortnight with a caravan. However we went from Menindee to Mungo via Broken Hill and Wentworth and used Arumpo Road between Silver City Hwy (west of Buronga) into Mungo which is a well maintained gravel road. Whilst there I was advised that the unsealed road to Balranald (approx. 134 Km) was of similar standard but can't confirm that. Travelling north to Menindee includes a much rougher section of corrugations (approx 20Km) before reaching the sealed section into Pooncarie. After that the unsealed road south of Kinchega NP is variable and very susceptible to closure when wet. Roads within both National Parks are well maintained. Most campers we spoke to came via the sealed road between Wentworth and Pooncarie (despite the bad unsealed section) into Mungo. Fruit from Wentworth is OK in the "exclusion zone".

Paul
AnswerID: 518519

Follow Up By: lou_r - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 18:29

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 18:29
Thanks Paul,

It looks as though we will be going via Balranald you have been a great help as I was wondering about sealed/unsealed roads etc. We have a Colorado and and X-Trail neither of us are towing anything, we are going pretty rough this time as its only a 2 week trip. So its tents all the way :)

Thanks for your info very much appreciated :)
Cheers
Lou

FollowupID: 798432

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 06:26

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 06:26
Lou

Easiest way is on the Sturt to Balranald, then north on the dirt. Road is in good nick.
Maybe an ale at the Homebush Pub (hours are a bit erratic)

We camped at Turlee Station south of Mungo.
Can recommend the Mungo Loop Track if it's open.
And allow plenty of time in the late afternoon to explore the dunes at Vigar's Well.

Michael O
AnswerID: 518520

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:44

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:44
If you want to stay at Turlee Station rather than the campgrounds at Mungo, phone first to check. On their website which still shows the station stay, it says "Turlee Station Stay is currently no longer taking bookings due to the sale of the property." It does not say they are not open, but that they are not taking bookings - something they couldn't do past a possession date should a sale occur. I have been unsuccessful in reaching them to clarify.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 798413

Follow Up By: lou_r - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 18:34

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 18:34
Michael,
Sounds like a definite stop over at the Homebush Pub for us, thanks for the tip on Vigar's Well, I have a feeling my camera might get a work out.

Motherhen,
We have booked at the Shearers Quarters for our time at Mungo, something different for the kids, but thanks for the heads up :)

Cheers
Lou

Its all part of the adventure :)
FollowupID: 798433

Reply By: patsproule - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 06:27

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 06:27
Hi Lou. We are in Wagga and have been over to Menindee. We went up the Cobb from Hay. We have had a lot of rain in the last week though and it does not take much to close some of those roads. Perhaps check the RTA websites for road closures.

Re Mungo - probably up to Mildura and then across. We came at it from the east last time and up from Hay but there is nto a lot to be gained that way. It's a pity Turlee Station stay has closed as that was a great place to access Mungo from.

Pat
AnswerID: 518521

Follow Up By: lou_r - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 18:38

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 18:38
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the info, we were thinking going in from Balranald but I will definitely check the RTA site first.

Cheers
Lou

FollowupID: 798434

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 15:50

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 15:50
if you decided to go into menindee check out the railway bridge over the daring river it was one of one that would open up for the river boats in the early part of the century

some thing different to see

just fowlow the railway line past the station and just down the road is the bridge
AnswerID: 518537

Follow Up By: lou_r - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 18:41

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 18:41
We are heading up to Menindee for a couple of nights and will definitely check out the bridge.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers
Lou

FollowupID: 798435

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 20:29

Saturday, Sep 21, 2013 at 20:29
Lou. Copi Hollow is a nice place to stay in the Menindee area if you have kids. It is still fairly close to the dam wall,Kinchega and most of the touristy places. Great place to visit but a couple of days will go really quickly. Cheers,Bob
FollowupID: 798439

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 11:22

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 11:22
Just went to the shops here in Broken hill it must be school holidays lol so many 4x4s with camping gear so many different number plates

even a 4x4 troopy with NSW Ambulance towing a camper trailer
FollowupID: 798473

Follow Up By: lou_r - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 15:31

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 15:31
Lol we will be adding to the school holiday chaos

FollowupID: 798484

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 16:08

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 16:08
your welcome it us getting hotter here each day just went out on the veranda and it was nudging 30 and is our windy time of the year

looking forward to a hot summer
FollowupID: 798485

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 16:17

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 16:17
if you come to broken hill you can chek out jack absolums art gallery chappel street just around the corner from where I live . it is free and he some amazing items some really nice paintings and quartze rocks

the school of air is in the nest street lane street but that will be closed for holidays fantastic to see when they have sports days all the kids come to town and the mums and dads often come and each child and parents dress up there cars in the colour faction each child is in with streamers balloons they make a huge day out of it .

Pro Hart is also open but you have to pay to enter
FollowupID: 798486

Follow Up By: lou_r - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 16:41

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 16:41
Sports days sound like a lot of fun, I cant wait to get out of Sydney, we are coming to Broken Hill so great to have a few ideas and things to check out and sounds like the weather might be kind to us as well.

FollowupID: 798490

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 17:29

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 17:29
I have only been to Sydney several times for one or two days on medical visits and i have the same feeling cannot wait to leave the place

Thats when we lived in Wagga we moved here 10 years ago and love the pace of broken hill things are much more relaxing and easy going.

I meet my wife on the internet 15 years ago and moved from perth to wagga and after winning a small amount we moved to Broken hill

where my wife was born and grew up here and we were so lucky the mine had closed and home prices were unreal we paid 40k for a Broken hill tinnie it is now worth 80 to 100k but no chance of selling

it is the sort of place you like or do not like it is remote and it does get hot in summer but I have friends in Sydney and perth paying massive mortgages and working there butts off to keep the bank happy..

another place to visit is the line of load restaurant you need to turn left after you come into town from Menindee road across the rail way line you will see a origin gas plant on the right just up past that next turn left cross the railway line and follow the road to the right

a side trip here is a small dead end road past the red cross first aid center to the left you drive up and follow the road left you will see a huge fire place fenced off that is the original fire place of the first BHP mine

after that go back turn left follow the road up the hill till you get to the restaurant and look out and right there is a huge chair I am sure your kids will love that. and you get to see over the town

if you need any other information just asked

http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/outback-nsw/broken-hill-area/broken-hill/attractions/line-of-lode?gclid=CPyApPi83rkCFQThpAodtiYAqA

[img][URL=http://s337.photobucket.com/user/jamsons_outback_images/media/lineofload_zpsdd4b449a.jpg.html]
[[/img]

this is the look out you will go up to
FollowupID: 798497

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 17:40

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 17:40
[img]
[/img]

the chair or seat at the line of load
FollowupID: 798500

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 18:30

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 18:30
[img][URL=http://s337.photobucket.com/user/jamsons_outback_images/media/menideelakes_zps2ea1584f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n365/jamsons_outback_images/menideelakes_zps2ea1584f.jpg[/I[/img]

Kinchega National Park in the distance this image was a rare one taken during the drought it took less that 2 months during the big wet at the end of the drought to fill it up and that was a lot of water coming from Queensland down the darling river

FollowupID: 798503

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 18:32

Sunday, Sep 22, 2013 at 18:32

ok that is better a amazing sight to see a dry menindee lake

Kinchega National Park in the distance this image was a rare one taken during the drought it took less that 2 months during the big wet at the end of the drought to fill it up and that was a lot of water coming from Queensland down the darling river

FollowupID: 798505

Follow Up By: lou_r - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 23:51

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2013 at 23:51
Wow thanks so much for all the info, very much appreciated.

2 more sleeps and counting :)
FollowupID: 798614

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:59

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:59
do not forget the fly spray they when the wind drops they get very friendly lol
FollowupID: 798622

Sponsored Links