Sat Phone

This might be worth a look when they come out ?? http://www.satsleeve.com.au/
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 04:56

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 04:56
Any prepaid accounts available?

I don't have an iPhone. Never needed one. But if they have a prepaid account then it may be worth investigating.

I don't care what satellite system its with. I just want access to a prepaid satellite phone for emergencies where I don't have to waste monthly funds on. I honestly do not use a mobile. I use the home land line and if I am not home it can darn well wait. It did for decades before they hit the "scene".

Phil
AnswerID: 518922

Follow Up By: Lakecomm - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 12:58

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 12:58
The only Pre-Paid accounts available (well i mean low cost pre-paid) are Inmarsat with the lowest cost is $70 BUT it has an expiry date of 90 days after the activation of the card - You would be much better off with a Pivotel/Thuraya $15/month casual plan - Casual means NO lock in contracts

Doug
FollowupID: 799041

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 13:27

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 13:27
Thanks Doug

That one would be $150 down the drain each year if I do not use it for 10 months. It would be cheaper in the long run to go an buy a ham radio (I am licenced) and get my emergency comms from there.

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 799042

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 07:10

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 07:10
The problem is, "Prices and Rates for Australian SatSleeve users to be announced soon!" has been shown for some 6 months since I discovered their Web site.

I have an iPhone so am fairly keen on the product, but the waiting is becoming a bit "Ho Hum!"

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 518926

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:08

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:08
Be interesting to know what size the market would be for it. Maybe that is what is holding it up.
If most purchasers are only going to use it in an emergency, then the take up will be small.'
Cost too, will be a decider.

Good idea though.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798892

Reply By: duck - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:10

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:10
They were selling them at the Sydney International Boat Show, but were very limited. The company I spoke too were using it thru a pivotel contract
AnswerID: 518929

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:52

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:52
Sat sleeves are available now,
I'm currently thinking about a purchase of a 'Sat Sleeve' to replace my cumbersome Motorola 9505 (which is on the Iridium network)
The sat sleeve set up is approx twice as 'thick' as an iPhone.... so it is comparatively smaller & much lighter than the Motorola it will still fit in your shirt pocket.
The biggest stumbling block for me is that it uses the Thuraya satellite system which I believe is inferior to the Iridium system.....especially in the lower half of Oz.
(I was pleasantly surprised when the sales person showing me this phone adaptor agreed with my comments on connectivity problems with Thuraya)
Cost of the sleeve set up is $799 less the Govt rebate.... which I think makes it a very attractive price.... that doesn't cover the cost of the iPhone which you would already have or have to purchase to go with the Sat Sleeve.
My dealer 'sells' plans on the Pivotel network $15 month casual plan drop in & out as you wish with a $25 connection fee.
Calls are charged @ $1 per minute (think I'm paying something like that now for my 'ordinary' mobile)
Another really GREAT thing with the pivotel network you get an Australian mobile number NOT an international one so it is NO dearer for someone to call you than them ringing an 'ordinary mobile'.

Gee I think I have talked my self into getting one of these. Just got to get my head around having to use the Thuraya system.

Disclaimer....

I have NO affiliation or connection with 'my' dealer but he seems to be very knowledgeable but his contact details are Lake Macquarie Communications @ Gateshead (Newcastle) Doug Taylor is his name. His contact number is 02 49421966 www.lakecomm.com.au
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 518933

Reply By: Candace S. - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:34

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:34
So this only works with the iPhone 4? I think that's already been discontinued here in the U.S.
AnswerID: 518948

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 13:36

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 13:36
Hi Candice,
I currently have a 4s phone, the dealer Im speaking to currently has 5, 5s & 5c cradles in stock he is ordering more 4 craddles.
Ru in the US????
Can you positively confirm that the sat sleeve concept has been discontinued over there.
Thanking you & awaiting your reply

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798904

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 13:45

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 13:45
Hi Candice,
Just reread your post & I got a different interpretation of your comment..... just clarify
1. Here in Oz the iPhone 5 has been available for at least 12 months.
2. The iPhone 5s & 5c were released here in Oz only a week or so ago.
4 New iPhone 4 & 4s are still available at selected outlets...(mainly apple shops ....but they are getting scarce)

(So this only works with the iPhone 4? I think that's already been discontinued here in the U.S.)
ru refering to the iPhone 4 being discontinued OR the Sat Sleeve concept being discontinued???

Thank you :-)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798906

Follow Up By: Peter K20 - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 13:46

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 13:46
It works with any iPhone as it actually connects via Bluetooth.

The interface with the phone is a free app.

You don't have to actually put it in the cradle.

Was told by dealers that cradle for 5 is coming.

The emergency/SOS button can be operated without attaching the phone

Not a dealer, have been trialling one at work for a couple of months
FollowupID: 798907

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 15:47

Monday, Sep 30, 2013 at 15:47
I use a satsleeve with an iPhone 4. I use the iridium network. I believe that they have not been using the thuraya network in Australia, but I may be wrong.

The iPhone 4 works perfectly with it and so too does my wife's iPhone 5....all though the iPhone 5 does not dock in the cradle and does not need to as it operates through a bluetooth connection.

The whole unit is quite sturdy and locks onto satellites swiftly, faster than my previous Motorola.

There is a new version almost here for iPhone 5's (I can purchase a cradle for mine to dock the iPhone 5). The new one will have data though which I don't have. I wait for terrestrial coverage before downloading due to cost.

The satsleeve is a sleek unit, and will also run with the iPhone having a flat battery.

Brett....

AnswerID: 518957

Follow Up By: Mazdave - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 08:37

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 08:37
Hi Brett,
If its not too much of a rude question, can you advise where to buy and what sort of cost to buy Satsleeve and set up costs?
FollowupID: 798939

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 09:05

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 09:05
Mazdave,
Have a read of my post above ... all your questions will be answered

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 798942

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 14:07

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 14:07
There were only a limited number of Satsleeve Generation 1 available in Australia and they quickly sold out and have been unavailable for some time. The Generation 2 Satsleeve is now available - you have to go through a satphone supplier to get one. They cost $849.
As stated in my article, the current Satsleeve is only compatible with iPhones 4 and 5 (and all s models). A new Android version will be coming in 2014 but they are only designing it for the Samsung Galaxy S4.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798965

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 14:08

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2013 at 14:08
the above information is already in my article - see the Thuraya section.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 798966

Follow Up By: MatthewPivotel - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 09:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2013 at 09:00
The SatSleeve works off the Thuraya network and can only ever work off the Thuraya network. Satellite phone are built to work off their own consolation and unlike mobile phone cannot be switched between networks. The Generation 2 SatSleeve come standard with the Iphone 5 adaptor and will be available shortly.

Matthew Flesser
National Channel Manager
Pivotel Satellite
FollowupID: 799030

Sponsored Links