Porta Potti

Submitted: Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 18:17
ThreadID: 104681 Views:3821 Replies:9 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a porta potti made by Thetford. The manual says 'do not use ordinary toilet paper - see last page.' There is no further mention including on the last page.

What do we need to use?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ron R - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 18:47

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 18:47
My (dutch!! ;-) ) manual states the same. I've been using a porta potti for years and just used ordinary toilet paper. No problems at all.
What I don't know is or our kind of toilet paper here in Europe differs significantly from yours. My opinion? Just give it a try.

Cheers, Ron
AnswerID: 519553

Follow Up By: trev h - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 19:14

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 19:14
Gum leaves, don't try using possums they don't car for it all that and they can leave some nasty bite marks
FollowupID: 799763

Reply By: Herbal - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 18:48

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 18:48
I cannot give a specific answer Terry. Cos I aint never used one yet :)

They probably mean to use septic safe paper.

Not all paper is suitable for septic tank use. It needs to be able to brake down quickly.

Most paper will have on the package if it is safe for septic tank use.

Don't use newspaper, cos most people in newspapers are already in enough bleep :)

Hope that helps
AnswerID: 519554

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 19:09

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 19:09
Terry - Maybe the last page of the manual is made from the exact type of paper you're required to use?? [;-)

There are actually two types of toilet paper produced - "septic safe" and regular paper.
You'll find the regular paper is the cheap, newspaper-feel type you come across in public toilets that are connected to deep sewerage.

"Septic-safe" toilet paper degrades more quickly and more easily than the regular paper.
Google "septic-safe toiler paper" to find out more, and find which brands are classed as "Septic-safe".
AnswerID: 519558

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 20:28

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 20:28
We have relied on a septic system for eons and have no problem with ordinary soft 2 or 3 ply tut paper that comes from the supermarket, Now we use the same in the porta-potti with no problems. We too use a cheap Napisan and it works very well.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 799702

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 21:58

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 21:58
Don't use newspaper, cos most people in newspapers are already in enough bleep :)

no truer words have ever been posted on the internet
FollowupID: 799707

Follow Up By: Herbal - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 22:32

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 22:32
Yeah but, I think you meant to follow up on my post...or maybe not...I don't know...

It is good thou cos I didn't have to kill a million electrons getting an email telling me there was a follow up...and it didn't reduce my internet usage...oh but now you got posting a reply killing more electrons...

Bugger...I gunna go and read a newspaper before I get me self in da bleep :)
FollowupID: 799708

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 23:15

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 23:15
Allein - ROFLMAO!! That's a classic! Thanks for the biggest laugh I've had all week! [:-)

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 799710

Follow Up By: Griff61 - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 17:29

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 17:29
We use the cheaper black and gold napisan and also use plain toilet paper. We found the colour dies they use makes the toilet smell. There was a post about using Napisan on here awhile ago.
FollowupID: 800082

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 19:39

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 19:39
Hi Terry,

I have always used Delsey brand unbleached toilet paper, available in most supermarkets.
This paper is strong enough to use, but breaks down quickly in the waste tank.

Some toilet paper is constructed of 3 or 4 ply and the thicker the paper, the more room it takes up in the tank.

As well as using unbleached toilet paper, get rid of the Thetford chemicals that came with the porta potti. The green stuff (which is added to the waste tank) contains formaldehyde, a very nasty substance that is not good for you, or the environment.

Simply use Home Brand Nappisan, which is basically sodium percarbonate which uses an oxy action to break down waste.
A couple of lids full in the waste (bottom) tank with a little water and I also add about a teaspoon full to the flush tank.
Works extremely well, is cheap and easy to carry.
Best of all, it is kind to the environment if buried in the ground, or added to a sullage (dump) disposal system.

And a bonus is that Nappisan is excellent to have on hand to wash your "smalls, socks, shirts etc. when camping for longer periods. I just wack a lid full into a bucket of warm water, let soak for a long as you like, then a quick rinse in fresh water and hang out to dry.

Some of us remember using nappisan to wash cloth nappies, before the days of those dreaded disposable nappies that folk prefer today. No thought as to how to dispose of them. Just drop in the nearest bin (or worse, no bin at all) and let somebody else resolve the problem)

Okay, sermon over.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 519562

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 21:59

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 21:59
Hey Bill!

Will it still work if you wash your socks and jocks first and then put it in the tank.?

No seriously, will it?

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 799776

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 20:40

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 20:40
Hi Terry,

Rays Outdoors and BCF sell the Thetford Aqua Soft toilet rolls for the porta potti.

They are apparently quicker dissolving and more septic friendly than regular paper.

Cost around $6.95 for a pack of 4, from memory.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 519563

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 23:11

Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 23:11
We use regular toilet paper of the same brands we use at home. These are all septic safe. After a bit of movement when travelling the paper dissolves. If you have any concerns, deposit used paper into a plastic bag, seal and bin it. Cheap grocery store stuff will do the job; perhaps Thetford has a vested interest in selling you more expensive products.

Check my Blog on Toilet Chemical Alternatives and more.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 519568

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:09

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:09
Thanks all. There are so many things to learn about this off-roading (should I say) crap!
AnswerID: 519599

Follow Up By: Herbal - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:38

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:38
What?...crap??

I will tell what is crap mate...I have not been given my due credit for my newspaper quip above...That is crap mate... :)

Serious note though...Yes, paper aint paper...

I worked for a cleaning supply business some many years ago. I was just the driver...I shouldn't say "just" the driver...I was the driver, that delivered the products to the customers. The owner used to go on about toilet paper like nothing else mattered. Of course these days I know he was not just rabbiting on...paper aint paper !
FollowupID: 799756

Reply By: landseka - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 20:15

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 20:15
We always use Cottonelle both at home and in the van Porta-Crapper.

We buy it when on special for around 50c a roll.

It is strong, light and breaks down easilly in the bottom (pun??) tank.
AnswerID: 519610

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 22:47

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 22:47
Just go and use what is recommended. It's not a million dollars a roll and won't break the bank. There must be a reason otherwise they wouldn't say it. I think that it's a septic tank thing if you really need to know.

We use the recommended paper.

Phil

AnswerID: 519616

Follow Up By: Lex M - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 01:16

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 01:16
Yes there's a reason all right. It's called cash flow.

I'll second the Cottonelle. Been using it for years with generic nappy treatment. Never had a problem.
FollowupID: 799794

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 18:27

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 18:27
I can't accept that Lex. If you cannot afford the correct paper then why buy the thing in the first place. I guess that we have different priorities. I don't take a mobile phone because I want to spend the money elsewhere. But I don't skimp when it comes to health and hygiene.

Phil
FollowupID: 799832

Follow Up By: landseka - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 20:50

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 20:50
I can't agree with that Phil, you may as well wipe ya bum with dollar notes as use 'the recommended ' stuff.

The only thing to think about is what will break down in the tank in a short time, nothing to do with "health and hygiene".

This is why some papers are 'septic safe' because they will break down quickly.

If you want to waste money then do so but don't try to tell people they are risking health by using normal toilet paper.

Thetford will tell you that you should use their stinking chemicals too....do you?

Neil
FollowupID: 799841

Follow Up By: Lex M - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 21:02

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 21:02
Well said Neil.

Hard to get dollar notes these days, and the only notes available are polymer. They don't break down well at all. I think they're also too glossy to work well.

I agree fully with the "stinking chemicals" comment. Can't stand that foul smell, and don't need the chemicals that are in them either. I think the smell is only there to mask the fact that they don't work very well.

Lex
FollowupID: 799842

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 22:46

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 22:46
$1.80 a whole roll. Talk about tight.

Phil
FollowupID: 799848

Follow Up By: Lex M - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 23:52

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 23:52
"I don't take a mobile phone because I want to spend the money elsewhere."

And you say someone else is "tight".

Firstly, the paper is crap. (pun intended).
Secondly, yes its more expensive. Small rolls too.
Thirdly, It's only available at camping stores which is not convenient. Certainly not available anywhere I travel remotely.
Fourthly, It doesn't break down any better than several common brands. That's not a supposition, that's a proven fact from controlled comparative tests I've done. Could say I'm anal about these things.....If it had a proven advantage, I'd happily use it.

But hey, it's your money. You spend it how it suits you.

FollowupID: 799852

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 08:29

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 08:29
Well Lex I suppose you are correct. It's our money and we spend it any way we wish.

Actually my old Nokia that the kids bought me about 10 years ago (?), is in the drawer next to my bed, flat as a tack and has been that way for ages. I just don't have any need for it. The old ways still work for us mate.

Right now I have to book a deluxe cabin on the ferry to Tasmania. With ensuite and it's own supply of toilet paper.

Catchya

Phil

FollowupID: 799858

Sponsored Links