Camping around Townsville

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 16:54
ThreadID: 104693 Views:5544 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, My boyfriend is a bit of a camping nut & I'm just not so in the spirit of compromise I'm going to give it ago. Can anyone suggest any good camping places around Townsville ideally I would like somewhere that has running water(creek) or showers, the option to have a fire or BBQ facilities. And if possible somewhere we can take our dogs that won't be flooded with lots and lots of people.
Thank you, Natt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Herbal - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:15

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:15
Hi Nat,

If you have a look at the top of the screen, you will see a link to "places".

As you are not really up on the idea of "roughing it" have a look for a place that suits you. There are plenty of places including caravan parks and camp grounds, that you will feel like you are the only ones there, but still have a hot shower and a flushing loo :)

If it helps...I don't believe in "roughing it". I think you should camp as comfortable as you can...Tell your boyfriend that real camping should be enjoying the great outdoors...not eating cold baked beans or digging a hole to poo.
AnswerID: 519597

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:17

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:17
I'm all for sleeping in a tent but digging a hole doesn't sound fun! Thank you I will try to find that link to places.
Happy to sleep in a tent and have a fire just want to go to sleep feeling clean at night haha! Thanks again
FollowupID: 799744

Follow Up By: Herbal - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:45

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:45
What?...You gunna go camping with your boyfriend and go to sleep feeling clean...Who are you kidding ? :) :) haha.

This is the places link - http://www.exploroz.com/Places/Default.aspx

There are lots of options for showers and toilet when camping. Remember, he does not want to take you on a trek to the top of a mountain...It's just a camping trip.

Showers can be solar, gas, electric or camp fire heated. You can even get a special shower tent !

Toilet can be from dig a hole (most basic), through to a porta potti that actually flushes ! You can even get a custom seat that fits on those 20lt plastic buckets. You just put in a garbage bag and poop the seat on...oh sorry pop the seat on :).

Give him a chance...You will love it...Just tell him that you know camping does not have to be "roughing it".
FollowupID: 799746

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:48

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:48
Yea I want to be clean before I get dirty! Haha
I'm happy with a creek I can wash off in really I'm not that bad ! A bucket sounds like the plan haha
FollowupID: 799747

Follow Up By: Herbal - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:16

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:16
Sorry...I wasn't thinking...Of course up that way a cold shower will be fine...even a creek wash.

Yeah the bucket loo is a great idea. You can buy them ready to go, I think they are called thunder bucket...But really all you need is one of those $4.50 black buckets from Bunnings, a pack of garbage bags and a seat to go on it.
FollowupID: 799752

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:46

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:46
Hey Nat,
Not sure if this is too far from Townsville but its a nice spot....we were there in 2012.
Its 67km from Townsville...Big Crystal Creek Camping Grounds.
There is a creek with a deep water hole for swimming. Showers and public toilets, BBQs but no dogs allowed unfortunately.There is a modest cost to stay (can't recall how much). Suitable for camping and caravans. Its on Paluma Road. Ph 131 304.
Have a good time
Cheers
AnswerID: 519598

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:49

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 17:49
Thanks for the suggestion. I know the place just haven't camped there I have been swimming plenty of times up there
FollowupID: 799748

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:34

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:34
Oh hell Natalie, you are not short of choices around there. particularly in the off season/ week days.

Saunders beach has a 48 hour free camp, popular with backpackers, toilets, showers, little shop, beach, fishing.

Crystal creek is definitely worth a look.

Aligator creek ( national park...no dogs) to the south is pretty good, all facilities.

There is a free camp north of Tville..cant remember details...quite large creek, toilets. showers.

Paloma is definitely worth a drive......I think there is some camping up there somewhere.....keep going thru Plaoma an there is a full blown resorty campy place.

There has to be somewhere to camp up at harveys range.

Its changed since my brother moved back to Tville over 20 years ago.....all that up there was vacant crown land.....the brother & his Mrs used to go up there and shoot bunnies and pigs, just about every week end....ate plenty of rabbit stew and very rarely baught dog tucker......but is almost all natianal park now and the ferral pests thrive unmolested.

If ya into fishing and you can cope with .....um....spartan conditions and insects.
there are several boat ramps you can camp near.......dogs are good, the crocks will go for those before you.

Coffee creek, a couple of places down near Ayr.

Oh ya gota go and have a look at the burdican dam.....camping at the dam wall.....gota have lunch at the railway hotel in Ravenswood on the way in.

there is a free camp beside the burdican on the way into Charters...with toilets.....but not a stick of firewood to be had for miles around.

There are so many places within 4 hours......hell you can get down as far as Mackay in a bit more than half a day

Heaps of choices

God's own country up there.

I'll move back up there one day.

cheers
AnswerID: 519600

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:38

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:38
Thanks so much very helpful
FollowupID: 799755

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:57

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:57
Natt,
plenty of camping but biggest problem at the moment is no rain and no flowing creeks.

One very good place is the old Dalrymple town site on the Burdekin River. You should be able to get the location if you google Old Dalrymple township. Paluma dam is also a good spot.

One place I love is the Einasleigh River about 2 K east of Einsliegh. Great spot and good swimming. Plus I love the Einasleigh pub. The rodeo is also great when it is on.
AnswerID: 519602

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:59

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 18:59
Thank you! I will pass this all to Steve as suggestions after some research.
FollowupID: 799760

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 23:25

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 23:25
hi Natalie
just remember if you camp near water the down side is the ossie mossie and midgies take the appropiate spray
cheers and enjoy
there's a good chance you'll most probably get bitten by the bush bug and want to go camping more often
FollowupID: 799785

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:16

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:16
Thanks it get bitten by everything so I have plenty of bug spray
FollowupID: 799800

Reply By: Off-track - Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 23:23

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013 at 23:23
Burdekin Dam Caravan park is dog friendly and good facilities. Also one that might fit the bill for you is Broadwater NP just west of Ingham, very nice but no dogs.
AnswerID: 519619

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:14

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:14
Great suggestions thank you
FollowupID: 799798

Reply By: crooksy - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 00:31

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 00:31
Try Wallaman Falls or Broadwater, both are around Ingham

AnswerID: 519621

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:15

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:15
Thanks very much
FollowupID: 799799

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 00:54

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 00:54
Hi, My suggestion would be Fletchers Ck. 40km north of Charters Towers on the road
to the Lynd. Running water but is probably low now with the drought.

Borders Dalyrymple Nat. Park but good level sites next to the river. Toilet/shower block on northern side of river so can be a bit of a walk depending on where you can camp. Should be fairly clear now that summer is coming & the travellers have gone back south. We were there 2 years ago. Pulled up for 3 nights & stayed 10. OK for dogs but be aware that there are signs that 1080 baits have been laid When I don't know.

There is the camp area at Macrossan between the rail & road bridges on the Burdekin. 20 odd km before Charters Towers. Running water & toilet/shower block.

Closer to T'ville are most of the northern beaches but the camping areas are quite small & you tend to be in each others pocket. The best is Bushy Parker. Only 48hrs I think.

South you can camp at the boat ramps but these have no facilities. Molongle Ck has a c'van park but I don't know whether it allows dogs. 15km south of Home Hill you turn off to the "Funny Dunny". Haven't stayed there but looked good so on our list to go back to. Used to be camp for whatever donation you wanted to leave. Seems too many were not paying so now a small fee I'm told.

Main things are to take good insect repellent i.e."Bushmans" & be aware of the crocs & to be as comfortable as possible. Roughing it can be OK for a night or two but long term a comfortable bed & good tucker are musts.

Bill
AnswerID: 519622

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:14

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:14
Thanks bill!
FollowupID: 799797

Reply By: Member - ROADKING - Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 15:33

Sunday, Oct 13, 2013 at 15:33
Hi Natalie
We spend quite a bit of time camping around Townsville,there are some great spots already mentioned although a couple are not suitable for dogs. A couple of others to try is Biviouc Junction , great spot , cheap, good amenities, swimming in the river and campfires and dogs allowed, head towards Charters Towers just before the burdekin bridge turn right opposite the macrossan turnoff and follow the dirt road.There a several spots just north of charters towers along the burdekin river before you get to Fletcher Creek. Another is Alva Beach near ayr nice little caravan park , no fires allowed in park but you can have one on the beach nearby.Wundjunga between inkerman and gumlu is another spot right on the beach but can have a few sandflies and mozzies at times
Cheers Jim
AnswerID: 519646

Follow Up By: Natalie M - Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 13:14

Monday, Oct 14, 2013 at 13:14
Thanks for the reply! Will pass all info onto Steve when I have researched them all
FollowupID: 799871

Reply By: Quickboats - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:07

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2013 at 13:07
Hi Natalie,

Hope you've had sorted down your choices by now. Agree with them a lot of good choices to consider, Burdekin Dam Caravan park is a good one too.
AnswerID: 520172

Sponsored Links