Mildura to Tilby Station and in between

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 18:39
ThreadID: 105655 Views:1877 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we are new to this game and are travelling with a Freedom tent and 2 dogs. Nissan X Trail and 6 x 4 trailer (not off road). We want to drive from Mildura and end up at Tilby Station starting out from Mildura the last week in March.

There were floods in 2012 around this time so wondering if this is a risky time to go?? Our rough itinerary is Mildura -Bindara Station (stay 3 nights) then to Warrawong Station (for 3-4 nights so we can do a side trip to Broken Hill and White Cliffs). Then on to Tilby Station for 3-4 nights before heading back down to Daylesford via Swan Hill.

Any comments, advice or suggestions about our planned trip would be appreciated. We don't want to be on the road for more than 6 hours in a day.

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 18:46

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 18:46
Broph,

The way the long term outlook is for rain I doubt there will be an issue this year with floods.
The water level in the Condamine river in Chinchilla is down to the 2009 levels already.

I think the daily temps will still be warm during March as well so pack plenty of water.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 523772

Follow Up By: Member - Broph - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:26

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:26
Thanks for the advice. We are now thinking early May because we don't want to travel with our dogs in really hot weather so I am hoping May is a better time. We'll probably spend up to 3 weeks.
FollowupID: 805353

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:09

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 10:09
Make it late September and join us at Trilby for the National Gathering ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805356

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 22:04

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 22:04
I agree with the other reply it will be hot.
We travelled from Wentworth all the way to the start of the Darling in October last year and had a few of 40 plus days.
Be aware that some stations don't allow un neuted male dogs.
Warrawong is a very high class caravan and camping park, its brand new and my wife said she would sleep in the amenities block they were so clean and nice. They also have bush camping either along the river or around a billabong.
I would NOT stay in the other one closer in to Wilcannia.
Bindara wouldn't allow dogs when we travelled, so best you give them an email or ring to check.
We stayed at Tolarno Station instead of Bindara because of the dog issue. Tolarno was very basic, just find somewhere on the river bank and rough it amongst the Cows, sheep and goats.
The other nice place was Copi Hollow caravan park, although it may be crowded this time of year.
We stayed at Nelia Gaari station between Menindee and Wilcannia and would recommend their river side bush camp area, it has long drop toilets and heated river water showers.
Trilby was great as well and you have a choice of bush camping or powered sites. They also have a swimming pool.
The other one we stayed at was Kallara Station that is close to Trilby and we had a great time, more because of the owners and workers rather than flash amenities. The amenities were clean, but basic. They also allow bush camping if you prefer.

The roads 3 months ago, when we travelled, were ok with some corrugated patches, just don't speed and watch out for sandy patches, you should have no trouble with a standard trailer in good condition if you take it easy.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 523782

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 22:24

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 22:24
I forgot to add that you can check our blog of a similar trek last October under "member-chooky and wobble"

Also Nelia Gaari sign says no dogs but the allow dogs at their discretion so check. They allowed our Daschund (Neuted male)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805341

Reply By: allein m - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:01

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:01
Broken Hill is in the middle of a dry spell and from what I can gather it will like this for most of summer yesterday Birdsville hit 48 and they are expecting a few more hot days up this way so unless we get a major storm all road should be dry and ok to travel on

AnswerID: 523796

Sponsored Links