Caravan Parks in Sydney.

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:56
ThreadID: 10566 Views:2778 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all,

We are travelling over to east coast from Perth and will be in Sydney around the 23rd of Nove 2004. We are searching for a good family caravan park as we have kids (9,7) that is close to transport to the city (train preferably) and as close as poss to the city. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 13:57

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 13:57
umm... might not be as close to the city as you're after, but I the Narrabeen Lakes CP is right on the bus line (takes about 1/2 hr) and is ideal for a family stay. David and I stayed there 4 weeks over Nov/Dec one year. Right on Narrabeen beach on Sydney's northern beaches (good fishing) on besides the Narrrabeen Lakes (good for canoeing, windsurfing, walks etc). But its very busy there and maybe you'd need to book - excellent grass sites, big Nolfolk pine trees etc. Think its a Big 4.
There's actually not many CPs in Sydney. So hope this helps.ExplorOz
AnswerID: 46884

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 23:45

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 23:45
I'll second that,,,

Nice park, close to lovely beach and the drive north along sydneys northern beaches to barrenjoyee heads (spelling??) is something else. Money,money, money $$$$ there is plenty of people with it up that way. You could spend a few days just driving around that part of Sydney. Beautiful

Only hassle with Narrabean c/van park was..no pool? beats me.

Fraser Island
FollowupID: 308962

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 14:04

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 14:04
Mick,
We stayed at a C/van park in western Sydney right beside the r'way line, a few years ago. It was only a short walk (say 500metres) to the station. I think it was near Penrith, but can't remember the name of it. Check your state's Auto Association (eg NRMA, RACV, RAA etc) as they usually put out a c/van park location guide with map references etc. Then just look up the ones in that area and see the one/s that are located near a r/way line.
I hate driving in Sydney (or any other city for that matter) and it was great to be able to jump on a train and not have to worry about the ratbags on the roads.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 46886

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 15:35

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 15:35
Mick, There arn't to many left in Sydney especially close to city. Do a google search with caravan parks as key & you will get the lot. There's one on the hume Hwy at Bass Hill but you would have to drive to the station to catch a train, as michelle said the big 4 at north narrabeen is nice but very busy but close to public transport. All othres are a bit out of town.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 46899

Follow Up By: macca - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:27

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:27
Just a word of advise. DO not stay at the park at Bass hill . We were going to stay there 2 years back. Arrived there at about 2 pm on a sat Arvo and the office was closed. All the residents were either full or half full and all the vans looked liked permanents. Lots of crap coming from there booze parties as we drove up.
I couldn't get the van backed up out on the highway quick enough. (There wasn't any where to turn around) What a dump hole.
FollowupID: 308903

Follow Up By: Brett - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:55

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:55
A gun license may be required for Bass Hill.
FollowupID: 309103

Reply By: Member - ramp - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 15:54

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 15:54
hi mick,living in sydney my pick from the three above would be narrabeen but from travelling and staying in CPs, the most talked about CP is at lane cove. it is closer to the city than those mentioned above but a little bit away from the train cheers rob.
AnswerID: 46903

Follow Up By: mick - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:43

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:43
gidday ramp,

Thanks for the info. Whats the Lane cove C/P like, I've heard it's a bit "bushy" and lacking facilities but close to town, and how far is Narrabeen from the city by transport (and is it easy to get to). Are they both OK for kiddies?

Thanks Mick
FollowupID: 308904

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 17:02

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 17:02
I think Lane Cove is closed now, will check for you during the week. Narrabeen is about 45min by express direct bus or you can catch bus to Manly then ferry to Circular Quay nice day trip. Think about 30k to city.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 46912

Reply By: kiwi2 - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:07

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:07
Mick,

Don't know where people are getting there info from, but Lane Cove is a bit of an oasis and I doubt it could possibly be closed. No noise, no traffic, no crowds (VERY un-city). It's right in a national park with Lane Cove River alongside (you could row to the city but it'll take all day!). The bus service diverts down the access road to the park entrance so you have reliable transport to the city and a quiet bush haven to return to afterwards. It's a 15 minute easy drive to either Chatswood or Macquarie shopping centres - both big enough to cover anything you could possibly need (supermarkets, cinemas, restaurants, etc). Get the bus to the city (probably about 30 minutes) and you'll be in the middle of everything for sightseeing or whatever. If you want the beach, take the ferry from the city - you'll love it.
That said, I've never stayed there but have visited others there. Unless you want to be on the beach, I reckon it's the obvious choice. Good luck.
AnswerID: 46922

Follow Up By: jules15 - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:10

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:10
I agree about Lane Cove (tho you do get the planes going over) - had a really good experience there - waiting for bus to station - hubby, me and son - gentleman in flash car stopped - drove us right to Chatswood station - recommended some tours to do - and was generally very helpful - left a good feeling. the caravan park itself was terrific - couldn't see it being closed - pretty huge - and very busy - could be a Big 4 park maybe - anyway I would recommend it.
FollowupID: 308983

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:01

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:01
Is that the one behind the cemetry off Delhi rd or the one on Lane Cove rd because Lane Cove rd 1 is closedRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 309172

Reply By: captnsnooze - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:26

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:26
gooday

There is a neat littel park in a southern suburb called Woronora....yopu would need to ring and book. is cvlose to Royal national PArk and the Southern beaches. three mnute drive to Sutherland Railway Station...40 minutes to Wollongong...nice spot...
AnswerID: 47042

Reply By: kiwi2 - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 17:57

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 17:57
Bob,

It's the former. And certainly not closed.
AnswerID: 47344

Sponsored Links