Advice for western NSW trip

Submitted: Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:23
ThreadID: 105872 Views:1972 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip up the Silver City highway for a small group of family members in April/May timeframe. The route I'm proposing is from The Murray Sunset National park in Victoria to Tibooburra with stops at the Menindee lakes and Broken Hill. We would tehn head along to Bourke and then back to Sydney.
I have done most of these roads before in our Nissan Patrol a couple of years ago and dont remember any difficulty, however the other vehicles in the group are Ford Territories, one with an offroad caravan and the other an offroad camper trailer.
I would like opinions on our proposed route and any forseen issues with the vehicles. Also any comments on interesting places to stop along the way.

Allan
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pmk03 - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:48

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:48
Hi Allan
Depending on the weather all these roads are normally ok imo, I have travelled these roads on a few occasions now & one of those trips was in a commodore wagon also taking in Camerons Corner. I also went from Broken Hill through Willcannia & along the Darling River to Bourke in the same Commodore..... That was a great trip. So it can be done provided the road is dry.Check the road conditions before leaving .
Driving to the conditions & keeping an eye on tyre pressures & speed is the key
Cheers,
Paul
AnswerID: 524781

Reply By: allein m - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:06

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:06
Hi things are very very dry out this way you may have read my post tibooburra has ran out of water and they are carting it in so please take some extra with you for that part of the trip take the load off the locals

we went to mildura the other day so many Wedge-tailed Eagle and so many goats out this way along with the emus so keep your eyes openen

there is a reported increase of the number of roos as well

I have got a lot of amazing sun set pictures taken a menindee lakes you will g home with a big smile on your face

check out Jack Absolum place it is free on chapple street
AnswerID: 524843

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 13:44

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 13:44
All road out this way are open but be careful couple of workers in Tibooburra decided to borrow a 4x4 other and and got bogged and flatted the battery and lucky just as a SES search was being organized one of the teams that work on the dog fence found them

even the locals can get into trouble some times
FollowupID: 806717

Reply By: allanw - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 14:16

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 14:16
Thanks for the replies.
Is the road north of Broken Hill all gravel or is part of it sealed?.
I remember when I went up to Camerons corner, part of the road was covered in sand, is that the norm, or is it possible to consider a day trip up to there with the cars?.

Allan
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524854

Follow Up By: Dave B ( ADL) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 21:30

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 21:30
The road from Broken Hill to Tibooburra is a mixture of sealed and unsealed surfaces. I think marginally more than half of it is sealed.
The sealed area is mainly in the areas that are clay type and subject to closure with a bit of rain, hence the sealed section.
The sandy areas are a bit better with a bit of rain, so not subject so much to closure.
But, the road still gets closed due to rain.
Tib to the Corner should be OK for the normal car as long as there is no rain.
An interesting drive would be go out through Waka and come back via the Jump Up Loop Road.
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 806753

Reply By: wombat100 - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 14:31
Hi Allan
we'll be 'looking after' from May 12 for a couple of weeks- so call in for a cuppa !!!

AnswerID: 524856

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 14:32

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 14:32
Der.....I meant to say we'll be looking after Milparinka !!!

FollowupID: 806721

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 20:11

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 20:11
It's all doable in the cars you have. I took friends along most of it with a Tarago and an on-road Jayco years ago and we had no problems.

But the others have told you that. When you leave Mildura I recommend you head up the west side of the river. It is a much more interesting drive than the east side, if somewhat slower. Still easily done in the day. It will take you into Menindee via Kinchega and you want to see Kinchega.

Duncs
AnswerID: 524881

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 14:25

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 14:25
Hi Allan,

North from Broken Hill - As said - doable provided no rain. After rain very sticky and the road is closed.

Sounds a good trip. Recommend a good camp area near the Menindee Lakes weir. Big enough for a sizeable group, flushing loo, and a magic site when there is water in the lakes.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524931

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:39

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:39
Sounds like a great trip you are planning, I can highly recommend this group of Outback accommodation and campsite providers http://outbackbeds.com.au/ Lots of diversity within this group and all great hosts.
AnswerID: 525086

Sponsored Links