Western Explorer in Tasmania - good news on the way

Submitted: Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:48
ThreadID: 106279 Views:1986 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
For those who will be in Tasmania this autumn, you may well be luckier than those who were unable to take the Western Explorer this summer due to the landslip last August.

The good news is that the re-routing is well under way, and the route is expected to be open during March.

This has been discussed on previous threads, but a search did not find them.

For those currently touring Western Tasmania, please note that the road heading east from Couta Rocks to the Western Explorer northern end will be closed for three weeks commencing 11 February for the installation of a new Nelson Bay River Bridge. We took this road as part of a loop drive taking in the southern Arthur Forests.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:12

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:12
Thanks MH, hopefully by the time we get there the track will be nicely graded and the hire car will just sail through.

Cheers

Dunc.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526651

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 19:57

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 19:57
We are heading that way on the 22nd of February, so it looks like we may miss out.
The plane was to travel anticlockwise around Tassie.
The other option I will look at is to bypass that area, do the rest of the trip and head there before we come home at the end of March, do you think it will be open by then?

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526683

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 22:30

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 22:30
Hi Chooky and Wobble

Weather dependent which is always and unknown on the wetter western side, it certainly should be open before the end of March. The distances are not great, so leaving it until last then going if open and you have time will not take much extra travel from Devonport, and there are a number of different roads for your return to avoid a lot of double running.

As we couldn't fit on the barge to cross the Pieman River at Corinna, we went south on the Murchison Highway, leaving the Southern Arthur Forest and the Western Explorer until the end to do if time, with the idea of returning from Corinna via Savage River and Waratah. There was not time to do the Western Explorer. We managed a long day trip through the Southern Arthur Forests, returning to the caravan at Black River near Stanley, via Couta Rocks and Arthur River. We were aware that the Arthur River had been closed for roadworks so were really concerned when we saw the signs at dusk. To our relief we saw a small sign saying "Car Ferry". The people waiting ahead of us just fitted on with their camper trailer. We were the last to cross that night.

While in Tasmania, phone Police on 131444 for up to date information on road closures.

Have a great trip; you will not be able to see much in your short time frame.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809010

Reply By: Member - mepvic - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 09:57

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 09:57
We are tripping around Tassie in March and were also wanting to do the Western Explorer. Looking at a clockwise route to go up the track hoping it would be open.

Just got onto the Department of Energy and Resources (DIER) and looks like the road will be closed for months. Details from their website below. Click on the link and check out the photos. No wonder the road is closed.

Western Explorer Road Update - February 2014

The Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources, (DIER) is progressing the reconstruction of a section of the Western Explorer Road which slipped away in recent heavy rainfalls.

The area around the landslip is impassable to traffic and for this reason the road is closed until reconstruction works are complete. The closure is estimated to be at least five months enabling DIER to deliver a sustainable solution.

The design strategy includes lowering the road to reduce the risk of future landslip and rebuilding the road up gradually in layers.

The Department is committed to reopening this important route for North West tourism as swiftly as possible. Public safety is paramount and all drivers must obey all regulatory road signage around the state, including road closures.

For more information: www.transport.tas.gov.au/infrastructure_projects/western_explorer_road
AnswerID: 526858

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:03

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:03
Hi mepvic

Despite the updated dates, the report on DIER website has retained the same wording since August last year.

Progress is well under way and expected to be completed for the road to open during March.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809232

Follow Up By: Member - mepvic - Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:36

Thursday, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:36
Hi MH.
I spoke to a bloke at the Tarkine Hotel and Corinna Wilderness Experience Office this morning. He was talking to a few of the workmen a few days ago and they are saying the same thing. Still months away. They are only sampling obtainable gravel at the moment. A big unknown is the weather too. Raining over this morning.

Ring the Wilderness office on 03 6446 1170 before you commit to that part of the trip. We will ring when we get over there on the off chance but it doesn't look to good. Fingers crossed.

Mal
FollowupID: 809245

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:54

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:54
Hi Mal

See today's news on the bottom of this thread. You may be in luck, but phone first.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809516

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:42

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:42
The latest news: Reconstruction works are nearing completion.

The road is expected to be opened to traffic, under one lane, in the week commencing 24 March 2014.

The repairs are expected to be fully completed by the Easter holiday break.

For further enquiries about this project please call 1800 753 878.

Maybe, just maybe, those still in Tasmania late March will get through :)

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 527119

Follow Up By: Member - mepvic - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 19:02

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 19:02
Thanks for that info Mother Hen. Dates are a bit late for us but we will call into Corinna via Waratah and Savage River and see if we can get a further update. Leave Sunday for 2 1/2 weeks.
Will post what info I can get from Corinna.

Mal
FollowupID: 809531

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 19:12

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 19:12
Have a wonderful trip regardless Mal. You won't fit everything into your short timeframe, and Western Explorer was one we had to skip in the end as there wasn't enough time.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809533

Sponsored Links