Karijini National Park

Hi all,

We will be in Karijini for a couple of nights and Tom Price for a couple in April. Besides Dales Gorge what are the must dos.

Thanks

Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bunyip - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 13:17

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 13:17
Hi Mick,

In 1998 we spent only two days @ Karajini as we were running out of money & homesick after three months away. I remember with Karajini how close the car parks are to the sites. So you never have to walk far.
I enjoyed what's left of the township of Wittenoom & seeing where the asbestos mine was up in Wittenoom Gorge.

Joffre Gorge was great & Oxers Lookout (where five gorges meet) is a must.
AnswerID: 527124

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 13:18

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 13:18
Hi Mick

Take all the walks down into the gorges - get a plan from the visitor centre, and that in itself is worth spending an hour or two there. An easy climb on Mount Bruce. Be sure to also go to Hamersley Gorge which is different, and accessed from the Western side. We heeded the advice and did not go into Wittenoom Gorge, which would have been well worth seeing.

Around Tom Price is beautiful county, and the highest town in flatter lands Western Australia. Climb Mount Nameless.

Map of Karijini

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 527125

Reply By: WBS - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 17:15

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 17:15
What we did:
Stayed 2 night sat Tom Price. A great little town

From there we drove out to Hammersley Gorge, did, a mine tour organised by and departing from the information centre in the Tom Price, drove up to the top of Mount Nameless.

Drove to Dales Gorge, parked the caravan at the camp ground and drove out to Weano Gorge and all the gorges on the way back. Should have spent an extra day at Dales Gorge instead of rushing it a bit. Make sure you climb down to Fortescue Falls and the Fern Pool.

Karijini was one of the highlights of our 3 month tour that also included Kakadu, Litchfield, Bungle Bungles and a few other wonderful places. We were really impressed with Karijini NP.

WBS
AnswerID: 527142

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 17:45

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 17:45
Kalamina gorge is well worth a visit. Easy access (grannies gorge). Half way between dales and Weno.
you will be flat out in 2 days to see a great lot.

Neil
AnswerID: 527147

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 02:28

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 02:28
Try to spend as much time there as you can. Last June we were there for 7 days (Dales Gorge campsite) and did every walk and loved them all. A truly brilliant place. Kevin
AnswerID: 527183

Sponsored Links