Fear of Isolated Camping / Caravanning

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:47
ThreadID: 106418 Views:5563 Replies:22 FollowUps:88
This Thread has been Archived
Firstly, I personally think its laughable and rediculous, but here is the story.

On more than one occasion, my in-laws have stated that they always camp and caravan around 'other' campers and caravanners, for 'security', to which I think is the most laughable and defeats the purpose of 'getting away'.

When asking the reason for it, and giving my opinion of "Do you honestly think there is a crazy person sitting in the middle of the bush, sitting on a rock somewhere, just waiting for months on end for an unlucky camper to arrive so he can attack them for the sake of it" (sarcastically of course!), and the response from the in-laws was, "Well it does happen", and I wanted nothing more than to club them about the head like an old cartoon episode.

Now, I DID mention to them that I'd read a hell of alot of 4x4, caravanning and camping forums, including ExplorOz, and NEVER heard or read anything so rediculous in my life.

BUT, these in-laws, are absolutely set in this mythical belief.

Therefore, in the research of all things crazy in this world, and opinions of others, I thought I would post and ask others of both their thoughts on the matter.

At least then I can assure them either way. (Not that they like to be told unfortunately!)

Thanks, responses are appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:07

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:07
So Mick, targets a little scarce since your latest movie. Tell you what the first one made me check out my surroundings very carefully before settling down for the night. The Mrs likes the row of tins on fishing line around the camp but thinks the Claymores are a bit over the top. I say you can never be too careful.
Anyway good hunting...errr I mean safe camping. (;=))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 527197

Follow Up By: InsaneSniper - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:20

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:20
EXACTLY!, Im starting to think THEY are the only nutt-jobs out there caravanning, but I'm sure we all think that way of the in-laws.

I did want to mention in my original post that perhaps they'd watched Wolf Creek too many times haha.

I might just tell them that I've consulted the forum over at ExplorOz, and YES there IS a crazy guy roaming the outback, goes by the name of Mick, so be careful as I was wrong! haha!

With these in-laws, its actually a shame that Mick isn't real alot of the time.

FollowupID: 809571

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:52

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:52
Mick O does roam the outback, but he's not that mad :)
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809573

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:59

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:59
InsaneSniper

You don't have much respect for others concerns, and there isn't people sitting waiting at all, they cruise around and are OPPORTUNISTS and when they consider the opportunity is there, then they act.

Anyone with a little understanding of human nature will know that.
FollowupID: 809595

Follow Up By: Member - Alan K (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:17

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:17
Strange as it seems, I passed by Wolf Creek last July with MickO and he didn't revert to a raving homicidal maniac, although he probably would say I give him great cause.........frankly I have never made the connection between the two until now......but I can see the distinct similarities.......it is a good thing we keep him away from the normal people and confine him to the very remote locations...... he would probably have pop2jocems inlaws over for dinner........and cure all their phobias about the outback after a great meal, a few drinks and some very tall stories....

The other thing is that those huddled masses make it easier for the rest of us to camp out as we like it....
FollowupID: 809604

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:34

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:34
Alan, no way you will ever have them over. I had them for dinner a looong time ago.

Bit chewey but ok with a little garlic and slow cooking.

I think you might have mixed me up with the other sniper dude (;=)).

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 809607

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:41

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:41
Kennedy, after 2 months in a car with you it's actually amazing I didn't turn into a raving homicidal maniac.

I feel quite safe travelling in the bush. If you've met my wife,. you'll know why!

;-)
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 809609

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:49

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:49
"I feel quite safe travelling in the bush. If you've met my wife,. you'll know why!"

I'm gunna dob you in for that one :)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809613

Follow Up By: Member - Alan K (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:42

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:42
John (Vic). I travelled in a canoe for a week down the Yukon River with Mick and his good wife....I know why he goes bush...................... there is somewhere to really get away from it all on his trusty quad....
FollowupID: 809621

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:06

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:06
Well if you want a really good nights sleep, watch Wolf Creek at Wolf Creek. Had the best nights sleep ever. Although the campers beside us seem to be on edge a bit, they must of heard the video playing.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809625

Follow Up By: Kyle H - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:47

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:47
Did exactly that in our 2008 trip down the Tanami. The boss lady was not impressed.
FollowupID: 809633

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 22:54

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 22:54
Wolf Creek and Wolfe Creek, must be two different places :-)

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809651

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:09

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:09
This thread recently tried to cover this topic in a way...

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/106204/Finding_safe_free_campsites.aspx?ky=&sn=&p=%2fForum%2fDefault.aspx%3fpn%3d2

Honestly - you could ask this question of 5 different people and get 5 different answers. In all my remote camping (read fairly remote), the more remote, the more secure I feel - despite Wolfe Creek, there's not raving loonies sitting in the middle of nowhere.

Most people who've commented here and have had concerns around security usually are in more populated camping environments ie: CP's, dodgy roadside stops, communal camping grounds, usually around getting things stolen.

My opinion ? I think Grey Nomads / Bikkie Dippers have a natural herding instinct...
AnswerID: 527198

Follow Up By: InsaneSniper - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:18

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:18
'Bikkie dippers' hahaha that is GOLD!
FollowupID: 809574

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:37

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:37
A natural herding instinct?

It's more an opportunity to exchange information with nice people: good campsites, good bakeries, things to see and do, compare vans/vehicles/accessories, where are they from, meet them again some months later, etc.

You know, people who can string a sentence together without "like" or the F Bomb (unlike the majority of under-40 year olds).

And yes, I dip my biscuits, especially Monte Carlo creams.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 809600

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:49

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:49
Gone Bush, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek when I wrote that ;-)
FollowupID: 809601

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:22

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:22
Gone Bush,

Ya don't dip your Monte Carlos, do ya????? Sacrilege!!!

Ginger Snaps, yes. Anzacs especially yes.

But not Monte Carlos. Beautiful buttery biscuits, creamy jammy filling all soggy with tea or coffee - surely not!

:-) :-)
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809605

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:45

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:45
Scott, got to hand it to you mate, that is the funniest thing I've heard all day.
Bikkie Dippers. Do you think this a stage of life? Do you think all travellers reach this stage at some time? Is it reserved for the elderly or do young people turn early sometimes? Do you wake up suddenly a bikkie dipper or is it a natural slow progression?
What if you are a bikkie dipper but you don't want to be one anymore? Is is possible to turn back and be a non bikkie dipper again? This is all a bit scarey lol....
Cheers for the laugh mate....

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809611

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:52

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:52
I guess it softens the bikkies enough to help prevent breaking the false teeth :)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809614

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:54

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:54
Mine too Scott, but maybe not as obvious.
It's all good.

Frank, I bet you're reaching into the bicky barrel right now, just to dip your Monte Carlo (sounds a bit off really, doesn't it?).

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809615

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:01

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:01
Personally, I like Butternut cookies and Mum's fruit cake....
FollowupID: 809634

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:09

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:09
"Do you think this a stage of life? Do you think all travellers reach this stage at some time? "

equinox, if you suddenly get a compelling, unstoppable urge to pull over at EXACTLY 10:30 no matter what or where you are to have a cup 'o tea and a bikkie and won't tolerate any interference with this schedule, you probably qualify.

Mind you, that description exactly matches my sister-in-laws family....... (hi Matt !)
FollowupID: 809636

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:48

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:48
Perhaps RIDiculous, in some peoples view, but real to the people who hold the belief.

Although not camping at the time but while traveling on holiday in FNQ we have had two blokes in a vehicle track us for more than 80km. While my wife was driving they overtook and slowed and dropped to the side and then overtook many times.
It was a remote area and they knew it. Eventually they drove past around a corner and then parked the vehicle across the road and stood on the remainder of the road width to stop us.

We tried to run over them but missed unfortunately.

Ever since then I have increased the level of personal insurance and carry it while traveling.

If camped and someone sets off your perimeter alarm, which some have, now you know they are there but what are you then going to do. Panic more slowly?

Light the flame thrower perhaps?
AnswerID: 527200

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:36

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:36
Spot on Ross.

InsaneSniper; So what!!!
It would be much helpful if you were to be quiet and respect their fears and make it easier, instead of picking on them and making them self conscious about it and possibly making it worse.

I surfed almost 24/7, yet my wife is so scared of sharks that she will not go anywhere near the sea. Even going on the Tassie ferry you could detect something. Did I make fun of it or ridicule her fears. Nope!!!

Not a good way to help them alleviate their fears mate. Or maybe you like having fun at peoples expense.Well, that's the alternative, mate. Be helpful or make it worse.

Phil
FollowupID: 809584

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:11

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:11
Agree Phil. The topic could have been approached in a totally different way, but there you go.

People have a range of reasons for 'congregating' and security can mean a variety of things. The security of having someone to talk to, the security of knowing that someone else is around to help in a medical emergency or with equipment problems, or simply the security of knowing someone else is stuck due to inclement weather. The chances of meeting a complete nutter might be slim (it certainly happens as we know), but that's also a valid concern for some people.
FollowupID: 809587

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:23

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:23
We do most of our trips alone but for some longer ones like the Canning the heamatologist (my cancer bloke) wouldn't give me his approval if we didn't go with someone else. I had to get his okay because we are skipping some treatments to do the drive. And I am not about to put a Gold card at risk.

What was great about the Simpson, was that we did not see a car for the first three days until we got back up to the French line near Poeppel corner. That's the most isolated that we have been and it was great. But the sat phone was handy if needed. Not used - but it was there.

Got a scare one night. Heard some rustling and then the canvas moved. Just once. Yep!! No wind. Okay!!

Phil

FollowupID: 809589

Follow Up By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:21

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:21
alarms, to ross m any suggestions on how to make up a perimeter alarm?thanks barry
FollowupID: 809629

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:28

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 20:28
Hey Ross that personal insurance
"I have increased the level of personal insurance and carry it while traveling". sounds logical. No more said.

A can of WD 40 and a ciggy lighter works wonders too. I use it on wasps as well.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809637

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:23

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:23
Barry P
I know a bloke who was shot by a neighbours farm hand. On purpose.
That experience prompted him to develop some safety gear.

He like the outdoors and for safety has 4 IR detectors which turn on an indicator light to ID which direction the movement is from.

He slept in the back of the vehicle and could suddenly drive off or deliver other measures if in imminent danger.

IR could also turn on a flood beam in that direction for visual ID of the "thing".
FollowupID: 809642

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:19

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:19
While something that should not have happened there is obviously a story there. Goes to show you are safer in the outback than at home.

A strong light suddenly into the eyes of someone in the dark would stop them ion their tracks for a moment, and safely.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809676

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:21

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:21
Oh for a short term edit function - IN their tracks of course.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809677

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:59

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:59
Haven't you learnt by now, that you cannot hold a rational conversation with In-Laws :)

Personally I prefer to be on our own as far away as possible. But I do understand there are others who do feel some form of security camping close to other campers.

If you are by yourself, chances are you will never need to worry. If however you camp close to others, you have more of a chance of something happening.
AnswerID: 527202

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:26

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:26
Maybe the problem is your telling them, sounds like you don't have a lot of respect for them, maybe the feelings mutual.

Perhaps showing them would be a better option.

Mate his brother and wives were travelling in North Quensland. Girls were driving, boys sleeping in the back, bloke went past them, stopped a few miles up the road and flagged them down, run out of petrol. Boys jumped out he got nervouse they put in 3 or 4 lts and he said it was enough, jumped in and drove off. I remember that from 30 years ago.

Me, I still love the midle of no where with the boss, a few coldies and a million starts for company
AnswerID: 527205

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:43

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:43
HMMM, FNQ again??? Maybe the bloke thought it was only a couple of girls to deal with??
Is it something in the water??? Mango season??
I'm sure there was something in the news concerning a family from around the Palmerville region and a missing gold fossicker.
Then of course an area that bred Belchin Joe, Please Explain Pauline, Bob Nutter, and now Mrs Palmer's little boy. Hmmm there's that Palmer name again. Maybe time to give the "personal insurance policy" a bit of a clean (;-))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 809576

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:16

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:16
Could be right there Pop, thats what the boys thought only the 2 girls visible.

Saying that, personnaly I've not had any trouble (touch wood) and happy to stay most places by myself. Figure if it don't feel right find somewhere that does
FollowupID: 809579

Follow Up By: bigcol - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 22:53

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 22:53
Martin Bryant is a Tasmanian
Ivan Milat was born in NSW
Bradley Murdoch is a Western Australian
Just because QLD breeds some really stupid politicians (Bjelke Petersen was a Kiwi) doesn't mean we're all axe murderers
FollowupID: 809650

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:05

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:05
Chill bigcol,
have a cuppa and a pumkin scone ;-)
FollowupID: 809673

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:37

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 13:37
Well InsaneSniper, does it really matter? If your in-laws are out and about caravanning and camping does it matter to you whether they choose to camp with others or by themselves - really now? I know if I had sons or daughters-in-law with an attitude such as yours, trying to tell me what to do on the basis of what they have read (rather than based on experience) and ridiculing the things that I do, I would continue doing what I do out of sheer obstinacy/lunacy or pigheadedness or whatever you might like to call it.

For the record we are experienced remote area travellers and campers who often bush-camp by ourselves (check our blogs) and in over 30 years have had only a couple of minor incidents where we chose to move on - nothing serious at all. But we have met plenty of people of all ages who do prefer to camp where others are present. That's their choice - and it leaves more of the remote areas free for those of us who do like to get away by ourselves.

Perhaps before you try to tell others what to do you could go and have a go yourself!

Happy camping,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 527206

Follow Up By: InsaneSniper - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:19

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:19
Ohh Val... I'm not a young 18 yo city slicker that hasnt left the tarmac before. I'm in my 40's and I too have been campervanning around Aust a couple of times, theres not much I havent seen, and I will go again I'm sure. Perhaps I touched a nerve there with you, and your own in-law issues.

My ridicule of their fear is also backed up by my own experiences of nothing but safe remote camping.

If you calm down a bit and see the humour in it, as well as my genuine interest in others view on the 'fear' , you may not jump the gun next time.
FollowupID: 809582

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:42

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:42
Very true Val.

This bloke has plenty of years left yet. He's still young and maybe in that time he (hidden name) will gain some tolerance and understanding of people, especially those who are just not the same as he.

He won't like that but the young man has a little more to learn.

Phil

PS Don't we all!
FollowupID: 809585

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:59

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:59
InsaneSniper,

Your name probably says it all. In your 40's? From where I sit, quite young.

Based on your total lack of empathy I wonder your in-laws even speak to you.

A couple of times away in a campervan; how much tenting and how much remote travel?

Don't ridicule the fears of others. Each to their own.

Di
FollowupID: 809594

Follow Up By: InsaneSniper - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:13

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:13
Bruce and Di T (SA) posted:
Based on your total lack of empathy I wonder your in-laws even speak to you.

A man can dream....

To the rest:
Remember when you still had a sense of humour?
Either you're pretending that you LOVE your in-laws.
or
You ARE the in-laws!

:-D

FollowupID: 809597

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:27

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:27
Humour's an individual thing Sniper. Lot's of supposedly humorous TV shows leave me completely bemused. Sorry I missed your particular version.
FollowupID: 809643

Follow Up By: Scotts Paj - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 17:28

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 17:28
It's a joke Joyce.... hope I dont lose my sense of humour when I become an old fart! (I'm 40 as well so I'm also quite young and obviously have no idea either)?!
FollowupID: 809700

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 17:10

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 17:10
G'day Insane Sniper

You did ask for others' thoughts, so it's a bit rough when you have a go at John & Val when they express their's. For what it's worth, I agree with Val's opening sentiment - what's it matter?

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 809755

Reply By: OBJ - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:53

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 14:53
Don't get too comfortable. There was Joseph Schwab, dubbed the "Kimberley Killer".

He as a German tourist and spree killer who murdered five people in the Top End region of the Northern Territory and Western Australia in June 1987. Schwab was dubbed "The Kimberley Killer" by the Australian press after the region in which he committed the murders. (Source: Wikipedia).

Like most things you do in life, you just need to apply the percentages and just enjoy yourself., otherwise you just worry yourself to death.

OBJ
AnswerID: 527210

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:03

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:03
Yes OBJ,

A very rare occurence, but real nonetheless. I can remember that very well.

As to what "precautions" I take, that's nobody's business but mine.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809586

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:07

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:07
No doubt high profile cases like Josef Schwab, Peter Falconio, Belanglo Forest backpacker murders etc and those unsolved murders in QLD all those years ago have played on people's minds, you know, "the outback is full of crazies" etc but I'm willing to bet that at any given time in Australia there are literally thousands of travelers on the road or camping and they probably don't have a single undesirable "interaction" aside from campsite disagreements with another party

Even still, it doesn't hurt to have your wits about you. Don't leave them at home...
FollowupID: 809596

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:24

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:24
You're right on both counts, RW.

An incident would be rare, but still, don't leave you're wits at home.

Just a month or so ago, the WA Police stopped a campervan on the South West highway for some reason or another. The driver was in possession of drugs and an illegal firearm.

It's worth noting also, that the first response by a lot of people these days is extreme violence.

Yes, a bad encounter is unlikely, but....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809599

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:06

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:06
I'm out here WAITING.... where are you?
AnswerID: 527211

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:46

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 15:46
Haha! Surely, you are at a greater "security" risk when in close proximity to strangers in a caravan park, than being remote where you'll encounter far fewer people.

To quote Judy Blume, "How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. To experience adventure or to be limited by the fear of it.”

To quote Ralph Waldo Emerson: "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."

To quote Dale Carnegie: "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."

This fear factor is what stops people enjoying life. Fears robs you of reasoning.
Fear is when you simply don't want something enough to not be afraid of it.

I too felt like your in-laws when we first set off on our big trip which lasted nearly 2 years. But within a few weeks, it was obvious that caravan parks were a major worry and getting as far away from people as possible was the best course of action.

The secret to ExplorOz is the discovery of liberation that is felt when you finally release fears based on myths and find peace being in your own company for days or weeks on end.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 527216

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:22

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:22
Thank you. You have said that so eloquently Michelle!

I remember our first experience of 'free camping' with our pop top caravan, not that many years ago when we first started out in our mid fifties. I was so fearful of falling asleep, just 'in case...'.

Now we actively search out places away from any mentioned in books or websites, and take the quieter back roads searching out anywhere suitable to pull in with our van. Those rare nights all alone are among our most treasured memories of each trip. The silence of the night, the starry skies, and a feeling of almost being part of the landscape, difficult to describe to those who have never experienced it.

Sitting in a caravan park on the East Coast for a week, for a daughters wedding, whilst wonderful and treasured because of the family reunion and celebrations, doesn't really compare for me.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809630

Reply By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:13

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:13
Tell 'em not to worry as Bradley John Murdoch is locked up nice and secure.
AnswerID: 527218

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:00

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:00
For a crime I firmly believe he didn't commit.
FollowupID: 809602

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:56

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:56
Maybe the Dingo did it!
FollowupID: 809617

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:16

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:16
The dingo definitely didn't do it either, in both cases.
FollowupID: 809619

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:29

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:29
So, Murdoch is a Saint then is he? Concealed weapons, hidden drug concealment in false fuel tank.
How can you be sure he didn't?
FollowupID: 809644

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:30

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:30
Probably didn't do the other crimes either. I blame aliens.
FollowupID: 809645

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 01:01

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 01:01
I can't be sure he didn't, but with out a body how can you be sure he did ???
FollowupID: 809653

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 06:51

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 06:51
Probably with the raft of other evidence presented including eye witness accounts, his actions following the abduction and murder, and once convicted (twice by a jury of his peers I believe), his past history indicated a man quite capable of committing the crimes and ready to. (yes he was aquitted of raping that mother and her twelve year old daughter prior to the falconio murder largely due to technical faults in the prosecution case than his actual innocence). Plenty of precedent to show you no longer need a body to prove a prosecution. Had Joanna Lees not escaped, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. It leaves you wondering what other crimes has this utter bastard has committed. No doubt you'll be hugging Schappelle when she comes home ;-)
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809657

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:43

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:43
Bit rough lumping Corby in with Murdoch Mick. The latter is obviously a psychopath.
FollowupID: 809662

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:32

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:32
What's that saying Mick ??

I don't agree with your opinion, but I will fight to the death your right to have it.

I am aloud to believe that he didn't do it, I believe that Joanne had a lot more to do with it than see makes out, my belief, my opinion.

As for Shappelle well I believe that the Australian Government should not have any say as to whether she is paid for a story or not, the reason being is, she has not committed or been convicted of a crime in Australia, therefore it is not Australia's business.

Besides there is also THIS
FollowupID: 809667

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:07

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:07
It would help if your 'beliefs' had a reasonably sound basis in fact rather than wild conspiracy Aussi. I presume you're not au fait with Aus tralia's laws regarding drug trafficking, nor its laws regarding PROCEEDS OF CRIME which may be extended overseas in certain circumstances?
FollowupID: 809674

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:22

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:22
The irony of your statement Bazooka is just so funny, there are more people on this forum with a lot more conspiracies theories than mine.

Look you guys can try to tell me I am wrong until the cows come home, but I will not change my mind on this matter until there is forensic tests that proved and connect Murdoch to the murder, just as you have the right to believe he did it, I have the right to believe he did not.

It is my understanding of the proceeds of crime laws and their hypocrisies that piss me off.
FollowupID: 809678

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:15

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:15
No irony at all in what I wrote Aussi but I don't disagree with your observation about some of the semi-paranoid nonsense parading as personal opinion on this forum.

If forensics is what you need then you can put your mind to rest regarding Murdoch. It's already shown beyond doubt that he was involved, unless of course aliens transported his DNA onto Lees. There was plenty of corroborating evidence.
FollowupID: 809680

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 18:01

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 18:01
Aussie Traveller said......
" she has not committed or been convicted of a crime in Australia"

Oh really! What do you call carrying 4.5 kilos of illicit drugs through customs & out if the country?
I hope if & when she returns to Australia that she gets charged & tried for it.

FollowupID: 809701

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 00:23

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 00:23
Shapelle is yet to be charged with any crime in Australia, so Shaker when she returns to Australia, she may well be charged, tried and convicted with a crime in Australia, until then in Australia, Shapelle should be treated the same as you and I, innocent until proven guilty by her piers in a court of law.

Just stating the facts.
Phil

FollowupID: 809720

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 15:07

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 15:07
Aussie Traveller,

it appears that even Murdoch doesn't believe he is innocent anymore.

Site Link

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 810287

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:51

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 16:51
The 11 unsolved disappearances of single and pairs of backpackers on the one stretch of road between Hughenden and Mt Isa is an ongoing investigation , we can all laugh and deride some people's wariness about travel in the remote /and not so remote areas but the fact is crazy buggers do exist….
AnswerID: 527219

Reply By: Dingojim - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:22

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:22
Yes I admit to being a GN in the prime of my maturity which makes me a 'bikky dipper'. Alright for you young ones to laugh but have you tried eating gingernuts with no teeth. Anyhow that is why us mature aged guys buy our Viagra in bulk, not for what you youngsters need it for, we stir one into the tea/coffee and it stops the bikkys from getting soft and falling into the cup. As far as camping security goes I have an 84 tooth security system, aka two dogs, closely followed by my trusty 'Tyremate'. If the dogs don't work (unlikely) then an ear massage with the Tyremate will induce a severe case of 'town drunk at the level crossing syndrome'. That is where the vision is blurred, the lights are flashing and the bells are ringing with no trains in sight. You show me a nutter who doesn't plead sanity after meeting me.
AnswerID: 527221

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:55

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:55
Funny bugga :)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809616

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:56

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 17:56
I only use Viagra so I don't roll out of bed.....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809618

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:55

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 18:55
When you oldish guys get on a bit more, agewise that is, you can reduce the Viagra to a half tablet.
Just so you don't p#ss on your slippers, or so I've been told.

Disco.
FollowupID: 809623

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:13

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:13
I took a viagra once, the only problem was it got stuck in my throat, I woke in the morning with a stiff neck.
FollowupID: 809627

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:36

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:36
That was Viagra for Turkeys which give a stiff neck.
FollowupID: 809647

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:50

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:50
Ross M you are an idiot.
FollowupID: 809670

Reply By: IdahOz - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:52

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 19:52
We choose to camp far from the madding crowd. One time in a remote area, late at night, we were woken when another rig pulled up near us and after sitting around for a while finally took off again. No idea who or what, but spooked us all the same; realising we were way out in the middle of nowhere with 4 small kids and no protection. Also got spooked when a dingo came in to camp and dragged off one of our kids little camp chairs!
I now keep a purse size pepper spray handy.
We also have a baseball bat in case of mad dingos, our kids call it the "ding bat" LOL
AnswerID: 527228

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:35

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 21:35
I'm guessing your rellies are scared s---less because somewher out there - there is an "InsaneSniper" !!

Think the name says it all

Happy and safe travelling

Gazz

Ps no need to sleep in bullet proof vests
AnswerID: 527237

Reply By: 4x4tripping - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 22:12

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 22:12
Don`t worry too much about security.

I travel together with my girlfriend through africa, just we two and our car.

Mostly we did camp somewhere in the Bush/Desert overnight. We tried to stay remotely as possible. --> http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com

No problems during our trip.

Something can go wrong anywhere and anytime. A murder can enter your house/flat too.

To follow these simple steps can not harm:

- look for an wild camp spot early at daylight
- Watch your sences, change the place/camp when you don`t feel comfortable.
- Try to get a camp spot where you are not visible to the road or houses
- Try to reach your camp spot while nobody can watching you leaving the road.

AnswerID: 527243

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 22:46

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 22:46
While some people seem to think our outback is full of axe murderers and marauding man eating tigers, I hate reading the news of murder and mayhem and all the worst things they can find to report about society happening in our cities. Nothing feels so safe and secure of camping out under the stars without the sight or sound of any other person within cooee.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 527245

Follow Up By: Rod W - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:34

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:34
right on ok
FollowupID: 809660

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 23:08

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at 23:08
The other thing is some people are just more attractive targets than others.

Low life skum are more likly to try it on with a nice clean cut couple driving a nice late model station waggon towing a fancy all singing all dancing rolling gin palace.

They would steer well clear of a gruff hairy lookn bloke & his mrs ,driving an early model ute with a home fabbed canopy towing a trailer coverd with a tarp or a beat up old millard.

Remember too we live in a society that revolves arround being risk averse and protected.

There is so much general attitude and advertising telling us that we should be afraid.

There are people out there that have never been alone in their life, and the idea scares them $#@%less.

On the other hand there are those who do not seem to care less about their own safety, and don't consider anything a threat.

No matter what your belief.....personal perception is often very different to reality.

But the only thing we can cope with is our own perception.

cheers
AnswerID: 527246

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 01:59

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 01:59
"There are people out there that have never been alone in their life, and the idea scares them $#@%less."

I remember reading on some blog or forum somewhere a post from some guy who used to be a tour guide for an 'outback' tour company. He recalled a couple of times some of his customers (from either highly urbanised part of Europe or Japan) totally freaking out when the 1st stepped off the tour bus in some remote location in South Australia. When told to walk 50 yards away from the Bus for a rest stop and a look around, they totally panicked about getting lost despite the fact you could see for 10 miles in any direction.

One of them later confessed that the sheer 'emptiness' and lack of people and reference point caused them to have a panic attack.

FollowupID: 809654

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 00:21

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 00:21
Im more worried about aliens.
Does anyone else remember the family in the van that was picked up. Spun around and I think suffered time loss along the nullarbour a few years back?

I camp along the nullarbour waiting for the nullabour nymph.... still waiting
AnswerID: 527248

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 17:03

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 17:03
I do, and it was the Nullabor Nymph who did it. she ran across the road in front of my car just this Christmas.
FollowupID: 810077

Reply By: Penchy - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 08:50

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 08:50
There is quite a large thread on 4wd action forum that covers some of these things, but I cannot find the link. People have detailed their experiences with "noises" they have heard while remote camping. Some of those experiences were quite hilarious when the noises are found to come from innocent domestic animals, but for some people when they are in a tent/swag and have no idea what is going on outside they become very anxious and automatically think of the worst possible scenario as being the correct one.
There was one story of a couple with their german shepherd who had been bushwalking and taken refuge in a cave for the night only to wake and find a bloodied/butcherd dog and a crazed man in the cave entrance staring at them. I have no idea if that story was true but when reading it, for the amount of detail it had definately had me thinking.
As others have said, making fun of someone's fears will do nothing to help them deal with them.
AnswerID: 527250

Follow Up By: mike39 - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:42

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:42
No doubt about some of the night time "noises" putting the "eebygeebys" up you.
Last winter camped pretty remote SE of Laverton we were peacefully asleep when, unbeknown to us, a mob of donkeys had assembled around our camp.
As if rehearsed, they suddenly all broke into a crescendo of "hee haws", long gargled sort of noises, did we ever wake with a start!
Got up with the torch, opened the van door only to set them off charging round the camp with more heehaws and some pretty spectacular kicking up of the heels.
Had a good laugh about that one.
In remote camping over 25yrs. have only had 2 concerning episodes, the worst last winter, also in the Laverton region. The bloke a dead set nutter, but he also got the message I was not not backing off.
mike
FollowupID: 809661

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:01

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:01
Donkeys can be very loud and frightening the unwary. The first time you hear a dingo howl it will curdle your blood.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809664

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:14

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:14
A little OT but if you want scary in the night when camping away from crowds and on your own I think that this one qualifys.

The worst sound that we have heard was last Christmas we heard a Tasmanian Devil growling in the middle of the night at Policemans Point in Tasmania. Just like the first one in this youtube video.

It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I tell you not.

Link:

Phil
FollowupID: 809665

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:25

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:25
Hi Phil

You were very privileged to be visited by a Tasmanian Devil :). The only ones we saw outside of enclosures were dead on the roadside.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 809679

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:37

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:37
We didn't see it but most defintely heard it. There were other campers who also heard it. Bit of a buz when you get over the initial scary sound. I don't know if it is a regular thing but it would be great if it was. They sure need a resurgence AND without the cancer. Poor buggers.

Excellent free camping out there as well. No facilities and right on the water. Plenty of fishermen around but I didn't see one fish. It's just a stone's throw north of St Helens. And surprisingly not over crowded and we were there on New Years Eve.

Worth a visit.

And not really scary at all.

Have a good day MH

Phil
FollowupID: 809682

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 21:16

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 21:16
I remember as a young teenager, coming home very late at night on the pushbike and a bat suddenly appeared in front of me. All of a sudden every vampire movie I had ever seen suddenly flashed through my head. Rode a little faster.

It's amazing what your imagination can achieve.
FollowupID: 809711

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 00:00

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 00:00
I've heard the Devils screaming & growling like the ones in the video when bush camping in Tassie.
Can quite believe they would scare the crap out of anyone who didn't know what they were.

One occasion I heard a couple fighting or having the loudest sex ever, bloody screaming.
Also had to chase one out from under my car at Cradle Mountain, wasn't game to grab him given the size of his teeth :)
I think he liked the radiant heat off the engine.

All memorable experiences.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 809719

Follow Up By: Penchy - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 08:09

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 08:09
Nice hijack Phil.
FollowupID: 809725

Reply By: InsaneSniper - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:04

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:04
Not that my feelings for the in-laws was the intended topic of this thread,
BUT for those few that think I'm just being nasty to the in-laws for no reason, here's a few points to truly understand 'why' I ridicule them over this topic:

*They are NOT sweet old grey-nomads in their 70s, they are late 50's.

*This man claims he 'invented' fishing, yes seriously! (Wouldn't he be a joy to fish with).

*This man puts on the biggest 'manly' bravado you can imagine, as loud and deep of a voice as he can manage at any given time, for ANY conversation or word uttered.
(Because a loud voice obviously means you're both strong and quite manly, the type that could wrestle a lion to the ground and not even break a sweat!)

*Puffy chest is included at no extra charge, and the fat-gut is 'all-muscle' apparently.

Therefore, it is absolutely comical to me that this 'loud, puffy chested mucho-man that invented the earth, sky and the stars', is scared to camp away from other caravanners, incase the 'scary man in the bush' attacks him.

So you see, I'm just a realist, asking for views on the 'scary man in the bush' belief, which I will pass on to them and hopefully re-assure them enough so they can go away on a very very long journey, far far away from me for a very long time. Aren't I a nice son-in-law.

:-D
AnswerID: 527256

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:11

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:11
I think your post speaks volumes
FollowupID: 809675

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:44

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:44
Ian & Nola

Yep, the sniper bit sure does. I think I will just bring my wife's mother and fathers (perceived) failing out in the open on a public forum.

Super sniper, Glad you aren't my daughters husband.

Hope you feel better now.
FollowupID: 809683

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:55

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:55
I have seen some cowardly attacks on this forum over the years, but mr snipper you are the biggest coward of the lot.

Your original post was not funny at all as you claim, to top it off you post again with even more venom to try and justify your position, I bet my left nut you wouldn't show your wife this thread, you sure as hell wouldn't show your in laws for fear of the old man giving you a hiding.

My guess is the old man has told you what a pathetic piece of garbage you really are and now you are trying to get back at him.

Phil
FollowupID: 809684

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 13:13

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 13:13
Nothing scares some people more than what they expect from other people.

Particularly when those expectations are enlighetned by their own dark expectations of themselves....the things people would do if they where not constrained by social pressure.

Some people can not believe that other people can be nice and have pure motives, because that is not their own nature.

Others just have minds that thrive on conflict and thinking everybody else is either an idiot or a bastard...mostly both.

Anything that you can imagine can be running arround in another persons head....and plenty you cant imagine....that is before you account for the effects of drugs.

The problem in this day and age...there ARE people with strange stuff running arround in their head...AND...because they have no concept of a god or a vigorus justice system or even value the opinion of their parents...do not feel constrained by social pressure to behave reasoably.

Yes folks, there are some real nutters out there...fortunately they are fairly thin on the ground in most places...and they get thinner on the ground the further you get away from population.

cheers
FollowupID: 809686

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 14:54

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 14:54
He must be trolling surely.
FollowupID: 809687

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 15:20

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 15:20
"I have seen some cowardly attacks on this forum over the years, but mr snipper you are the biggest coward of the lot."

Yet you quite happily called Ross M an idiot in this thread...... pot <> kettle.

FollowupID: 809690

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 15:32

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 15:32
That's right Scott I did, in doing so Ross M has the right of reply and so does Insanesniper, where as Mr snipers in laws don't, so it is not a case of pot kettle.

Phil
FollowupID: 809691

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 20:31

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 20:31
Yet at no time has the OP identified who he is, who the in-laws are, whether this is just a private family joke, whether the in-laws would even be offended by this, or even if it is clear whether this is just an allegory or true. In no way I can see the subject has been offended or has been subjected to ridicule.

Yet a number of posters here have committed the same offense they have accused him of..... namely assasinating his character in a public forum.... pot - kettle.

FollowupID: 809707

Follow Up By: Penchy - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 21:24

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 21:24
Hey mods, has this degenerated enough or are you happy for the slagging to continue?
FollowupID: 809712

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 22:41

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 22:41
Seems to me he made a pretty good fist of that himself without any help Scott.
FollowupID: 809714

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 23:13

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 23:13
As I said Scott he has the right of reply.

So I am ok with calling him a coward until he wishes to prove other wise, seeing that he has decided not to defend himself is purely his own decision.

Phil
FollowupID: 809716

Reply By: The Bunyip - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 13:53

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 13:53
I'm just pleased we visited Wolfe Creek in 1998, years before the movie came out!!!
As it turned out we had brake problems on the Tanami 100kms south of Halls Creek & had to crawl back to camp at old Halls Creek, not in the middle of nowhere.
AnswerID: 527262

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 15:53

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at 15:53
Jeez,
I think we all need a chill pill, InsaneSniper made some comments considered by many as in poor taste, its been pointed out to him. Thats the end of it, were all on this forum because we like to get out there, each in our own way, While were never all going to be best buddies with everyone, a little perspective should be maintained. IMHO.

Can we not start an easier topic like fridges, toyota v pootrols or generators? ;-)

AnswerID: 527273

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 16:19

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 16:19
Now ! Just WHAT have you got against Generators ??

<(:-o))

Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 809746

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 16:25

Thursday, Feb 27, 2014 at 16:25
Nufin wozzie, just heard a rumor that Sniper's mother inlaw has one he he he
FollowupID: 809748

Sponsored Links