Best swag on the market?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 17:53
ThreadID: 106507 Views:36711 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

I have done a fair amount of miles around Australia in my 52 years but have not once slept in a swag. We want to buy one for our oldest son's birthday so my question is, which is the best swag on the market as far as comfort and operation goes? Thanking you all in anticipation.

Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob W5 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 18:35

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 18:35
Hi Greg, My son was 8 when he got his first swag a dome type, high at one end and low at the other, he didn't like it, he felt claustraphobic. [he chose it] Comfort was fine....... So he tried a friends swag that was taller from end to end, and he liked it. he felt a lot less closed in. So I got him one of those. I hope this helps.
AnswerID: 527531

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 19:39

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 19:39
Gidday

Swags are a bit tricky I think, some people love em, some hate em. I don't know there is a best with so many different types.
Every person has their own opinion and that is usually coloured by what they own.
Not very helpful am I?
I know it is hard if it is a gift but if he is a first time user I would be looking at borrowing or hiring one for a few trips first.
One thing to watch is the size. King size in some brands is not always king size. If you end up with one a bit small it will very quickly be abandoned.
Personally I like them. I have a simple flat one. Pity is that I'm finding if harder to get up off the ground these days.

Cheers
AnswerID: 527536

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:34

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:34
Try a stretcher with it rocco, I just got one from Anaconda, a Queen size double.
http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camping-Gear/Queen-Easyfold-Stretcher#90026359
It is 1440mm wide, our swag is 1400mm width . . . was lucky and found this on special for $149 the one and only day I dropped in there.
There are others here http://camping.anaconda.com.au/adventure/Stretcher%20Bed
FollowupID: 809954

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:46

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:46
Thanks Les, already using a stretcher in the tent, it will be second thing in the ute after the swag when I head to the Pilbara in May!

Cheers
FollowupID: 809957

Reply By: Hoyks - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 19:51

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 19:51
There are a stack on the market, so unless it is a surprise, the best bet is to try a few out and see what fits. The other question is how much is he going to use it?

I just bought one of these for my son, he is 8 and fits happily in it. I'm 6'4" and find it is only just long enough, with wise it is good. For the money they are alright. http://www.campingcentral.com.au/oztrail-wentworth-single-12oz-canvas-swag-with-alloy-poles/
Mine is a very simple one with no screens or poles. If it rains then you just throw the canvas over your head. Some can't handle that though, claustrophobia and all that.
I went out west with some friends and their kids had swags similar to this one, but it also had a screen on the side. It was good in that if it was dry, then you got ventilation, but it was easy to flick the side down if it rained.
http://www.snowys.com.au/Sleeping-Gear/Swags/Matilda-King-Single-Swag.aspx?c=3&sc=23&id=3176

50mm seems to be about standard for a mattress, go much thicker and rolling the whole thing up can get difficult. A self inflating mattress in addition to the foam one might work if you feel the bumps. I lived for years with a 15mm foam roll, but if you are tired enough.....

The other thing is setup: some have so many bows, pegs and strings to keep them upright, you may as well get a small tent. They can be lighter have more room and easier to erect.

It really comes down to what works for you (or him), will he want an easy bed that he can just fall into, or happy to do a bit more work to get a roof over his head?.... and your budget.
AnswerID: 527538

Reply By: cruza25 - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:11

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 21:11
http://www.candycanvas.com.au/pages/bakery/22600mm-deluxe-swag-36.php

If your near tintinara, in south Aus, then pop in here,,, candy canvas,, I was in there last week looking at canvas seat covers.. Looks well made and will last for a lot longer than the imported stuff..

Good luck in your search.
.mike

AnswerID: 527543

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 22:36

Sunday, Mar 02, 2014 at 22:36
Greg,

Lots of differen t brands availble but my advice would be to get one with a fly screen net, canvas flap capability to close the flag up in rain, flexible poles (2) design to get the swag off the body.
This way if its hot, rainy etc the swag is off the body.
One brand worth a look at is Darchie it is a brand that comes from the cattle country of Victoria and has withstood the challenge of time as one of the original and best products.

Regards Will
AnswerID: 527548

Follow Up By: Travis22 - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 20:00

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 20:00
Darchie originates from WA? They were a well regarded small manufacturing business for decades making top quality canvas products. However 1-2 years ago they sold the brand to new owners (in Victoria) who have immediately gone overseas with the production and they have aligned themselves with EMG / 4wd Action............

IMO the only rule for buying a Swag in Australia is make sure it's made in Australia!!!

Travis.
FollowupID: 810021

Follow Up By: Travis22 - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 20:31

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 20:31
Hmmm sorry I've got my story a little mixed up. Further googling shows Darchie were a little business in Shepparton.

In recent years they have assigned an agent to manage the brand (Charles Parsons) and their stuff is all sourced from overseas.

Bottom line what I'm trying to say is the Darchie I've seen today is NOTHING like the old /Original Darchie...

Travis.
FollowupID: 810024

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 06:28

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 06:28
The ultima hilton blurs the lines between swag and mini tent a bit. Depends on what you are after. More air volume and more ventilation means less condensation issues which swag owners rarely speak about.
AnswerID: 527552

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:36

Monday, Mar 03, 2014 at 07:36
These are the ones we have invested in.
Down Under Brumby

Now about 10 years old and never a problem. We have slept out in the open in heavy rain and never had a leak.
We have laid there looking up at the stars through the insect proof mesh.
We also use them flat in our tent. They are just so comfortable.

Around 5 years ago we bought one for our son, who also loves it.

Buy the XL size if you are buying a single swag. This gives extra width.

A good quality swag (the Down Under is made in Adelaide) is a lifetime investment.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527555

Follow Up By: just - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 14:04

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 14:04
I too bought the brumby 12 years ago - it was fantastic. But recently the manufacturer gone down hill in a big way. They have cut corners and reduced the size in the name of cost cutting. I lost mine and have replaced with a Hi country Howqua swag from Aussie Disposals - its superb and roomy, half the price and puts the brumbie to shame.
FollowupID: 810065

Reply By: Mazdave - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 08:48

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 08:48
Take a look at the Kulkyne swags at www.kulkyne.com
They come in a few different sizes are well made and competitively priced
AnswerID: 527618

Reply By: jim870 - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 13:54

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2014 at 13:54
Burke & Wills Swags

We have 3 of their Simpson swags which are the top of the range. I bought mine 6 years ago, wife slept in it once and decided she needed one and the eldest lad bought his last year when he turned 18. We are very happy with them King size with a 75mm mattress, but be prepared they do roll up fairly large.

Ive slept in pouring rain, woken up with ice on it and flipped back the canvas and slept under the starts during the odd heatwave.

Definitely not cheap but worth every cent IMO.

Cheers
Jim
AnswerID: 527631

Sponsored Links