Bore Track from Cameron's Corner to Innamincka

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 19:53
ThreadID: 107168 Views:4698 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Innamincka and was advised to travel via the Bore Track but looking at my map in "CAMPS 4 Australia Wide" it says the Bore track is an emergency track.
Is this correct and if I have to change route, what are the conditions like with the two other options "Strzelecki Track" or "Old Strzelecki Track"
I have a Nissan Patrol Turbo Diesel towing POD Offroad Trailer (max 750 kg).

Cheers

Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Greg T1 (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:04

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:04
Hi Rob, it has been a few years since I have done the bore track which was quite good at the time but you were asked to ring the owner of the property and tell them you were coming through and at the homestead there was an honesty box that you were asked to put in $10.00 / vehicle. I will see if I can find the phone number and put it up in the next day or so.
Greg
AnswerID: 530183

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:25

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:25
Hi Rob,
Unfortunately the Bore Track through Bollards Lagoon is now closed, and has been for a couple of years. Pity, as it was a good drive. The Strzelecki Track is fine and you will see plenty of sand dunes, and get a look from the distance at the Moomba facility. Cant comment on the Old Strz track - have only done the northern part of it years ago when we were real novices and before anyone had GPSs - we got a bit anxious when we ran out of sign posts!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 530187

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:03

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:03
It's a shame it's closed Val. We did it north to south after a EO gathering at Innamincka some years back. We only saw two vehicles on it all day! A great drive... and those giant clay pans are something else ! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 813081

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 23:20

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 23:20
Shame? Yes Michael.
I love the drive on the Bore Track partly because it passes through a Santos area, Toolachee, where I lived and worked for 6 months or so constructing a satellite gas processing plant.

The Southern section of the Bore Track traversing Bollard's Lagoon Station has been closed by the station due to the poor behaviour of travellers. And there's the real shame.

The Northern section in the Innaminka Regional Reserve is open again after being closed for a couple of years, however it is a dead-end, you have to back-track to get out. Even that would be a good drive. There are some side roads from it belonging to Santos that will return you to the Strzelecki but you are not welcome to travel them and may get challenged. I suggest that if you were so challenged that you remain unassertive, plead lost and respectfully ask for guidance. It almost certainly will get you a good result.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 813088

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:28

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:28
Allan,

From my memory the northern section of the bore track through the Innamincka Regional Reserve was very poorly maintained and was slow going. The section through Bollards Lagoon was excellent and it is a pity some thoughtless mongrels have spoiled it for the majority of travelers.
We traveled the whole length South to North, also heading up to the National Gathering at Innamincka a few years ago.

Also came back along the old Strez Track as far as Merty Merty which was a good drive, away from the main drag.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 813099

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 08:07

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 08:07
Yes Bill,
I doubt that the section through the Reserve was maintained at all in general, but it was a nice drive and being slow-going gave you time to look around. Santos uses some sections of it and may maintain those although I never saw it. The Toolachee satellite plant runs unattended but Santos also use it as a maintenance base.
I found the Bollard's Lagoon section a bit boring but easy.
The Station used the track to go to Innamincka sometimes but mostly I believe they go to Leigh Creek for supplies.

Even though I "knew" Bollard's Lagoon Station management (sort of) I was refused permission to travel on the Track after it closed.

The Old Strez is good too, most times.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 813103

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:59

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:59
Yep, Bore track is closed. I prefer the Old Strez Track - it's a lot more interesting than the "highway" that is the Moomba road.
AnswerID: 530193

Sponsored Links