Motorcycle-accessible camping spots within half day of Sydney

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:38
ThreadID: 107309 Views:1777 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Looking at taking the big heavy cruiser out at some point in the next month or two to try camping with it. Will strap the bare essentials on the back and try and find somewhere very quiet and far away from society as we know it. Does anyone have any thoughts of where to go within 400km from Sydney? Mountains, inland, wherever... Needs minimal gravel (couple of k's of flat gravel max), few people, no electricity and the ability to have a fire (so maybe a state forest?)

Would love the blue mountains but I believe it's all national park so no fires...

Thanks!

BP
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Coldee - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 15:36

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 15:36
Patonga has a ripper little camp ground right down the far end of the peninsula. It can be very busy during holidays and weekends but outside that time it is pretty quiet. Fire was OK last time I was there. Creek frontage. It is a council camp ground with amenities and not really far away from society as you know it but nice.

Hill End is another nice spot. Tar all the way there now if you go via Bathurst on the Turondale road. Rough dirt for about 13 k via Sofala. Not a lot there. Nice pub and a reasonable walk back to the camp ground (300 - 400 metres) National Park so you will need to take your own wood.

Lots of National Parks are OK in designated camp grounds but you have to take your own fuel. Wood is OK if you bring your own or collect it outside the park. This site has all the details for camping in the parks. Some of the more isolated ones you will get the place to yourself. http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/Stay
Nundle, near Tamworth. Nice park or free camps along the river and nearby. Some dirt but good dirt. Not too rough or loose.
Cassilis pub has a camp ground behind the pub. Best of both worlds. You can camp and keep to yourself or camp and eat at the pub. Very quiet but not exactly miles from society. Cassilis is only a sparrow fart of a place. Not many people there.
AnswerID: 530683

Reply By: Cruiser . - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 16:40

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 16:40
EpicBP

Have a look at St Albans Common. Its located about 20K from Wisemans Ferry

http://www.cartoscope.com.au/maps/hawkesb/stalbans.pdf

I believe that camping is permitted

Call 1300 884 881 for more info

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 530693

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 at 14:45

Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 at 14:45
Thanks cruiser - looks like a nice place. In my searching around that area, I've also found a place called Wheeny Creek which looks nice. Problem with many of these places though is they're NP - and I can't cart a few days supply of wood in on the bike easily :) Might just have to strap the butane burner on the back and hope someone's left some firewood around...
FollowupID: 813847

Reply By: Jarse - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:35

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:35
BP,
Try the Myall River Camp, north of Tea Gardens. You'll get the cruiser in there no worries.

It's 2hr15 from Sydney's northern suburbs.

I used to take my road bike in there. The entry road is less than 1km long good quality dirt/gravel.

They have water, composting dunnies and allow fires. BYO firewood or purchase bags of it from the caretaker.

Enjoy :)
AnswerID: 530960

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:30

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:30
Sounds perfect... Wasn't sure how I'd find a place where I could somehow bring my own wood on the bike :) Thanks Jarse
FollowupID: 813982

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:18

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:18
Newnes is nice but probably at least 20 kms of gravel road but easy. Nice scenery, fires ok, drop toilets but busy sometimes. I've been there on my own and also been there when I couldn't find a spot to pitch a tent. You can be unlucky. It's a reasonably big grassed area surrounded by cliffs with a river.
AnswerID: 530980

Follow Up By: EpicBP - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:29

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:29
Did Newnes in the car once before and the road was so badly in need of a grading that it was 20km of spine rattling... Bit risky taking the bike there :) Loved it when I arrived though, only a couple of other campers. What time of year was it when you couldn't find a spot? I thought it would be impossible to fill that place up!
FollowupID: 813981

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:59

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:59
I can't recall what time of year it was sorry. I think you will have trouble finding an out of the way place with a tar road. It's the rough dirt road that sorts people out making the place "out of the way". There are few camp grounds up past Wisemans Ferry on the river but everyone and their dog are camping these days.
FollowupID: 813984

Sponsored Links