Quality of life!

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:30
ThreadID: 107449 Views:3038 Replies:16 FollowUps:37
This Thread has been Archived
This Thread has been Locked
Hi all. Probably opening a can of works here but I'm interested to know how people feel about this subject. Do we feel that our freedom to go about our everyday lives without hassle has been severely eroded by the so called fun police of our society. We used to be able to go out and have a few beers and drive home once without worrying about booze busses etc. I'm totally against drunk driving but it should be aimed at the hoons and not us older people who do drink responsibly and take it easy when we have had a few and know how to handle it. We seem to be getting punished for the minority and that's how our laws seem to be made. It used to be great to go beach fishing or for a family picnic and have a couple of quiet ones without a problem. We can't do that any more. I also refer to speeding. We are so scared of speed cameras etc that we are distracted from driving safely by constantly having to watch our speedo and the millions of speed signs, school zones and other signs. We waver a few km/hr and next thing we have a fine for 6 or 8 km over the limit. I totally don't condone speeding either but it's getting ridiculous. Revenue raising is another thing again. I know I will get the tea drinkers and the do gooders raving on but I think most will agree. Don't come on here and say don't break the law and you won't be penalised because that's not what I want to here. I am interested to know opinions. Do we just sit at home and watch TV or should we be able to lead a normal social life as we have always done without fear?
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:08

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:08
Gday Kirk,
I agree 100%
I think they have forgotten why the laws were made. I thought they were there so you could prosecute someone for being dangerous not so you can fine someone for accidently creeping over a limit?
If they were serious about road safety they would be prosecuting people for being dangerous, not for not being perfect...........

Cheers
AnswerID: 531167

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:13

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:13
That view is common to thousands of normal people, especially if you are old enough to remember how different it was three or four decades ago! I agree with your view BUT.. The problem is there were less people back then, hence a more relaxed life. In 1973 when I got my drivers licence, there were 13 million people and Sydney's population was 3.5 million. In 1973 only about 70% of homes in Sydney had one vehicle and most young women didn't get their licence till years after they could and many back then, never bothered at all.Sydney's population has doubled and if now we drive around anywhere and we see two three four five vehicles in each driveway, more vehicles on the road, more congestion so more rules need to be implemented and enforced. If we didn't have breath testing and radar and modern ways of keeping us under control, we would have an enormous road toll today! The road death toll is much lower these days compared to years gone by due to modern vehicles, breath testing and other electronic advancements I mentioned earlier despite the many times more cars on the road. Unfortunately that's progress!! Great post all the same! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531168

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:29

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:29
I sometimes wonder what it would be like if all the cameras etc were put away for a week. I would be interested to see how things went. I think all these devices and intrusions tend to make people angry and frustrated and bitter. If people were allowed to just enjoy the drive I'm inclined to think a lot of self governing would prevail.
FollowupID: 814181

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:38

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:38
The overload of traffic related signs on the road is abysmal. You are right about the distractions, as you mentioned, It's hard to concentrate on driving when there is so much to take in and all that's going on around us.! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 814182

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:48

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:48
Kirk , You mention "self governing", I don't believe that would work. People tend to push the boundaries, so if the laws are relaxed, they are pushed a little more and so on. I think there is some merit in living in a small town, you get more the lifestyle you mention in your initial post. My wife and I will more than likely retire to a medium sized town in western NSW in a few years to avoid the rat race we hate so much! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 814184

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:54

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:54
I agree with the road sign issue as well!
A lot of parking pays in the NT have that many signs now you've got to drop to low beam at night because of the reflection.
And at work the other day I was told to take out a "give way sign ahead" sign!!!!!
What next.....a give way ahead sign ahead sign!!!! I thought the give way sign was the warning.....now you need a warning sign for a warning sign......LOL
FollowupID: 814186

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:58

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:58
Yes a lot to be said about small towns when the local cop would give you a clip under the ear and sent you home to your folks who also gave you another clip under the ear. I'm thinking about the same idea actually. I was in tassie a couple of weeks ago and there was a father and son living in a tent waiting for housing after marriage break up. The son took his scooter down the skate park and 3 fifteen year olds approached him for scooter and smashed his nose with one punch when he refused. He was unconscious before he hit the deck cutting his head. The father went to see what was going and also got beaten up. Those 15 year olds will get off with very little if nothing. The kid will be mentally and physically scarred for life. What is the world coming to?
FollowupID: 814187

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:36

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:36
Yes yes yes......we most definitely live in a nanny state......but the problem is not that its all about the minority.

Back before the police where so heavy handed with drink driving there where a hell of a lot of people who where driving while they where in no fit state to do so.
Back in the 60's and 70's ya chances of getting caught drink driving where pretty slim, particarly in the low range.

There where a hell of a lot of people who thaught they " coud handle it" and if the took it easy it was all right.

I am old enogh to remember and old enough to know plenty of people who used to drive home knowing they where over the 0.08 as it was in the day.

The truth is, a lot of people got killed and a hell of a lot more got injured as a direct result of drunk driving.

Remember...I do....this issue was not a problem of the very small minority, this was a very common problem....and one that very much impacts on the majority.

Likewise back before the 90's, workplace health and safety was a very hap hazard concept. There where only a very few companies that took worker safety seriuolsy.
There where also a lot of people out there who where reckless in the extreeme with their own and other peoples safety.

I gree that things have swung a little too far and some of the safety outllooks are rediculously risk adverse.

But this is a result of a very common and regular disregard for peoples safety that resukted in many deaths and injuries.

The figures and the reality on hearing loss alone are stagering....get into the heavy trades and occupations like boilermaking, earth moving and heavy transport, it is the exception rather than the rule to find someone in their fifties or sixties with hearing healthy for their age.

These days is it unusual to see people walking arround with obvious signs of industrial injury. Back when I was a young bloke in school and moving into the work force it was far from uncommon to see fathers and brothers of mates and older tradesmen I worked under with missing fingers & toes, eye patches or glass eyes or massive uggly scars from industrial accidents

Yegh we live in a nanny state, because there is a large portion of our community have proven that are not capable of taking the responsibilities of an adult.

cheers
AnswerID: 531173

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:46

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:46
Yes very true and I have worked in those industries and one of the reasons I got out was because you spend more time writing out risk assessments than doing the job. Yes we need to have rules and regulations but yes it has also gone way to far. I also agree with you that the majority do do the right thing and could still drive perfectly well at .08. It is the minority that will drive a big powerful car on P plates and with .08 in their system that will say common boys let's see how fast this thing will go. We legislate for that. I don't know what the answer is but I think rather than penalising the masses we should perhaps restrict young drivers for the first couple of years to a Hyundai excell. They do it with bikes. In other words treat the cause and not the symptom!
FollowupID: 814183

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:51

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:51
Kirk, Laws are made for the minority! The majority don't need need them, they have common sense. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 814185

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:23

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:23
I think a lot of the problem is the laws are policed by computers and electronics that don't make mistakes or allowances judging humans that do.
FollowupID: 814189

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:24

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:24
The problem is there IS a lack of personal enforcement right across the board.

Instead of paying coppers and other inspectors to be out there, visibly enforcing the laws and regulations, they opt for cheaper solutions that are far less effective....it has been driven by accountants and statistics.

While the penalties may be high, the smart ones know there is very little chance of being caught.

A letter in the mail is no substitute for ..."Helo, Helo Helo, what have we here"

As for the majority doing the right thing......don't kid ya self.....if there was no chance of being caught..the majority would do whatever they please......I see them try it on every day.

One of the major problems we have in society today is there is no longer a belief in an all seeing all powerfull God that punishes wrong dooers.

Our civic intelect has moved on from the fear of God, but has not yet grasped the concept of reightiousness for the common good and for personal long term benifit.

As for coppers and yonng people......the time has past when the coppers could drag a kid home and be certain of punishment from the parents.

There was a local Police sargent when my brother was young that gave young misbehavors a choice......"well son, do you want the thumpin from me or your old man"
Many where happer to keep the old man out of the matter.

cheers
FollowupID: 814194

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:33

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:33
"I know I will get the tea drinkers and the do gooders raving on but I think most will agree. Don't come on here and say don't break the law and you won't be penalised because that's not what I want to here. I am interested to know opinions"
Kirk
Tea drinkers and do gooders have opinions/wants/dreams and aspirations as well if you are asking for peoples opinions don't try and be selective as all you will get is your own opinion sent back at you or is that what you want so you can justify some behaviour as being normal.

I too like a social drink unfortunately it has been proven that alcohol impairs what would be classed as normal brain and body function. So the powers that be have chosen a level that they class as being the minimum before the general population would start to suffer some level of impairment and have set that. We share the road with all other users both those that like to drink and those that don't, it is not going to become less congested or less busy so it is mainly just a balancing act.
I agree that the proliferation of road signs and directions make it more "confusing" than it should be but that is just another indication that there needs to be some form of control used, control the amount of signs and where they are put. Just the same as some form of control over a drivers ability to drive with any sort of intoxicating substance in their blood.
Just recently they published figures over the easter long weekend and it was stated that 13,000 had been caught speeding but no clarification or breakdown on those figures so it makes it sound like that they were all speed demons.
That's my opinion
Personally
AnswerID: 531177

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:42

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:42
Thanks for that and I respect your opinion. I know there are always 2 sides. I know what the tea drinkers and do gooders would have said. I was just trying to see if there was anyone out there who thought the same as me or whether it was me that had the problem lol.
FollowupID: 814191

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:48

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:48
13000 and many were probably in the few km over range. That's a lot of revenue and we still have some terrible roads! I drove up pacific highway over Easter and cops were swarming everywhere. I don't mind seeing presence but not sure about the speed demons. I actually blasted a cop a few days ago too. He was patrolling and spotted a customer coming the other way. He did a U turn and passed a car on double lines on a blind bend and then pulled up beside the said customer blocking the lane and almost causing a pile up of the cars behind him. Hmmm!
FollowupID: 814192

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:34

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:34
Yep, that exact thing happened at Apple Tree Creek on the Bruce a few months ago, cop car did a U turn on double lines.............except there was a B Double coming the other way, they got hit but the truck driver took evasive action and ended up off the road. To Bundaberg's Police's credit they issued a public statement praising the truck driver's quick action saying the two police in the car would have been seriously hurt or killed except for the truckies actions.
FollowupID: 814236

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:37

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:37
Well I think we all agree that we are perhaps slightly over governed and maybe we should all give those minority guys that clip under the ear but then that's not allowed either is it lol? I was starting to think it was just me. I feel reassured now. Not.
AnswerID: 531179

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:23

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:23
I agree with most comments on this subject. Motorists are over governed and are used as "cash cows", all under the banner of safety. If they were genuinely concerned about safety then the fines would be less and the penalty points would be higher to get he bad and dangerous drivers off the roads.
We all know that will never happen as they would loose too much revenue. It wasn't that long ago that NSW motorists were given an extra point because too many were loosing their licenses.
I don't blame the law makers, the politicians, or the Police. I blame ourselves. We Australians have a very bad habit of siting back and thinking... "she'll be right mate". Unfortunately it wont be right mate unless we all get off our arses and be heard. Write to your local and state politicians and be heard. They don't like risking votes when elections are near.
Capt.
AnswerID: 531182

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:35

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:35
I disagree that the penalty point should be higher.

The whole problem is there is a lack of enforcement right acroos the board.....consequence has very little impact if there is a low probability of being caught.

As far as road rules.....enforcement is now concentrated on a very narrow group of offences....and a very narrow range of circumstance of those offences.
As a result the standard of driving and general traffic complinace is very poor.

Y chances of getting booked for rolling thru a stop sign for example is almost non existant..so a great many do.

Y chances of getting booked for anything in a back street is practically zero, so that is where the hooning happens and ordinary people are particulraly sloppy and careless.

In fact ya chance of getting caught for anything other than drink driving, speeding or running a red light AND on a main road is pretty low.

Seriously...we don't need arts grants and street sculptures..we need police and inspectors for everything, out there and being seen to be enforceing the full range of offences

cheers
FollowupID: 814195

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:58

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:58
This is exactly the sort of feedback I was expecting. Yes as layback Aussies we are to "she be right mate" and we don't stand up for our rights. Boat people do better than us. Nothing against lawfull immigration.
AnswerID: 531186

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 14:22

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 14:22
Awwww Jeeeezz......now you've opened a can of worms! LOL
FollowupID: 814198

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 14:39

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 14:39
Bwahahaha. Let's not even go there. I digress.
FollowupID: 814200

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:58

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:58
You certainly do and best not to go there lest the forum fun police evoke the forum rules.

Cheers

Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 814204

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 16:21

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 16:21
Sowwy. Not sure what I did but point taken. Cheers
FollowupID: 814205

Reply By: philw - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:58

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:58
THEY have been eroding our rights away for years. Bit by bit by bit. That's how THEY operate. Saves them making immediate hard decisions and losing votes. Unfortunately Australians have lost the ANZAC spirit and just lie down and accept a beating these days.
AnswerID: 531197

Reply By: Bazooka - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 16:54

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 16:54
I have to agree, we should give special exemptions to oldies "who can handle it" and allow them to drive when over the limit. Sounds reasonable. Why stop at oldies? You say you can't go on a picnic and have a few quiet ones. Why not? Millions of Aussies do it regularly. There's no reason at all to sit at home, you can have a completely normal social live while obeying laws and not being a danger to other people.

We regularly see comments about the nanny state and being over-governed. The same people invariably whinge loudly when they think their rights (as determined by the very same governers) are infringed. Consistency's rarely one of their great attributes. Speaking of consistency, I like yours. You don't condone drink driving or speeding but apparently think there should be some laxity in the application of the law, for some people. Sounds awfully selective and anti-social to me.

I really don't understand why threads like these are permitted on this site.
AnswerID: 531200

Follow Up By: philw - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:13

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:13
It's called freedom of speech.
FollowupID: 814209

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:20

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:20
What brand of tea do you drink bazooka? Yes all about freedom of speech. I said something I shouldn't have apparently and got ticked off by the mods. Not sure what it was. I'm thinking the boat people thing but then said I'm not against lawfull immigration so I'm not sure. I am of prejudice against anyone let it be heard.
FollowupID: 814210

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:23

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:23
Ah yes, the same freedom of speech as George Brandis advocates presumably.
FollowupID: 814211

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:32

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:32
Excuse me???? Why not just tell me what the problem is instead of beating round the bush
FollowupID: 814212

Follow Up By: philw - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:37

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:37
If you're working class,George Brandis hates you with a passion and so do all his mates. Don't ever use his name and freedom of speech in the same sentence. He is a bigoted advocate of eroding your rights.
FollowupID: 814213

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:43

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:43
Oh ok cheers. Potty the mod couldn't tell me that instead of going round in circles. Mr bazooka should have explained what I did wrong in the first place and then I would know not to do it again. Thanks Phil
FollowupID: 814214

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:45

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:45
You appear to be a man of sober thought Kirk so I'm left wondering why on earth you'd label anyone who disagrees with your opinions as a "tea drinker". Presumably tea totallers aren't "real men" in your eyes? Odd, because putting the billy on is a very old and much-practiced Aussie tradition.

Just for your information I like all sorts of tea. I also like a good coffee, quite a few different sorts of beer, and certain varieties of red wine. The great pity about threads such as these is that average Joes, "tea drinkers" and "do gooders" avoid them instead of giving them the short shrift they deserve.
FollowupID: 814215

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 18:39

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 18:39
What hapenned to my reply did you delete it? As I said I do drink tea and coffee as well. If you look at the context of my messages I'm not against tea drinkers at all. I'm still trying to find out from you what I did wrong. I would have thought your duty as a moderator , if in fact you are one, was to inform the person clearly what the problem was with a post. You didn't identify yourself or tell me what the problem was as yet. I thought my thread was actually a good one and did provoke some interesting discussion. I was simply trying to find out if people agreed with me on the point that we are over governed with speed cameras and booze busses that affected our quality of life. Maybe you should read the post but please tell me what I have done and I won't do it again. Simple as that mate.
FollowupID: 814218

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 18:57

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 18:57
I suggest you read the forum guidelines Kirk and then address the mods directly with your concerns if you don't understand why they've removed your comment. I've already indicated my attitude to topics like this but I have nothing at all to do with the running of the forum.

Forum Rules
FollowupID: 814221

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:05

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:05
Whatever. I'll be speaking to them to find out what your all about mate. You seem very reluctant to say anything of use to me and on fact answer my simple question. You just seem to want to make smart comments. Cheers
FollowupID: 814222

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:08

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:08
Philw ! Are you serious! The current Liberal government is bringing back some of your "free speech" that the pathetic bunch of fools from the previous Labor Government took from you and the press! Sometimes you have to open your eyes to see what's really going on! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 814223

Follow Up By: philw - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:26

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:26
Michael,would you like to give me some examples of this bounty?
FollowupID: 814225

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:41

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:41
Bazooka I seriously font have a month to read thru all that crap mate.
FollowupID: 814227

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 22:26

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 22:26
Yes well this did go astray. Kirk (and a few others), please read the rules of the forum. Free speech is one thing EO is a commercial enterprise that has a few rules to ensure that posts remain relevant to the core topics of the forum and we fail to see what any of this content has to do with that.

The rules about relevance are there to keep the forum relevant and the fantastic resource that it is. If you want to wax on about politics, asylum seekers and the laws of the land, this is not the site for that. There are plenty of chat room sites where you can vent on those topics. EO is for travelling, camping and exploring the wide brown land.

Check out the rules around appropriateness and 'off topic'.

The Moderation Team.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 814247

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:13

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:13
Kirk,
If you really want to know about being able to drive home after having a couple or three (drunk responsibly ,of course) just ask a parent whose only child was killed by someone who thought that he could drive safely after a few, or a new widow whose partner was wiped out because he thought that his mate was safe to drive after having a few after work.

In today's society, where not being responsible for your actions is the norm and not the exception, it is necessary to have rules that infringe on your freedom to do what you like, not only to protect other from you but also to protect you from yourself.

Whether you (or me for that matter) like it or not we need rules/guidelines and fines/penalties to control the behaviour of the population as a whole

If there were no rules total anarchy would exist basically because everyone would do totally as they wanted and bugga the others.

Disco.
AnswerID: 531211

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:33

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:33
They were "drunk" drivers mate. I'm talking about a few beers. Maybe over the limit in the eyes of the law. Drunk drivers need to be off the road. A few after work is a different thing.
FollowupID: 814226

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 20:01

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 20:01
That's your opinion and that's all it is, a bloody opinion. In this case your opinion is not worth a pinch of goat turd.

The guy who killed his mate giving him a lift after work was NOT drunk in the eyes of the law but he had enough to blur his judgement of distance when he tried to overtake another vehicle and was wiped out by an oncoming vehicle that was closer than his alcohol affected brain recognised.

They were both mates of mine and the survivor (the driver) still feels the pain of what he did.

Don't talk to me about having a few and still being safe on the road.

End of story

Disco.
FollowupID: 814229

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 20:13

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 20:13
I am! I know I'm fine after a few. In fact I'm probably more carefull. I can't speak got your mate and I'm sorry it happened that way. I put that down to inexperience rather than anything else b
FollowupID: 814231

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 20:16

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 20:16
Anyway this whole thread was not about who can drink what and be safe. It was about our quality of life being eroded by laws which stop us living our Australian way of life. Bazooka hijacked the thread and ruined it. I'm over it. Simple question turned into a bitter arguekent. Goodnight bud.
FollowupID: 814232

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:08

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:08
Kirk,
Before you start trying to pass off your arrogance as opinion and suggesting that it was inexperience that got my mate I suggest that you listen/read this.
Not knowing how much driving experience you may have had I doubt that your total would be anything like my late mates.
Both were professional drivers on longhaul routes in WA. They would average around 2500km each per week and were doing it for more than fifteen years.
I guess that would give them more than a BIT of driving experience.

Disco.

PS you don't want opinions you just want people to agree with you.
I don't
End of story

Disco.
FollowupID: 814248

Reply By: mikehzz - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:04

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:04
Tea drinkers, do gooders and fun police...really? Laws are made by smart people from information provided by other smart people. There are more people, more cars and a much lower road toll. The smart people are doing it right. Everyone still gets an opinion though.
AnswerID: 531219

Reply By: Jackolux - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:12

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:12
A few after work a little bit over the limit but you know your ok to drive . I have never heard anything so bloody dumb .

If I had my way it would be 0.00 for everyone

regards Jacko
AnswerID: 531231

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:38

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 23:38
Not sure what to think of this statement
(I know I'm fine after a few. In fact I'm probably more careful.)

why would you think you are more careful , is that because your thoughts / reactions are just a little slower , I wonder why that would be ?
FollowupID: 814250

Reply By: Slow one - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 06:40

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 06:40
Many years ago in the late 60's or early 70's the RACQ did some research on accidents and drinking.

They found that people who had a couple of beers after work had less accidents at that time of day than those who went straight home. There finding was inconclusive because of the variables. These variables were.

The driver who had a couple was more relaxed and had vented about anything that had bugged him during the day, and there was less traffic by the time the driver got on the road in his mellow state of mind. He also was not rushing to get home.

Me, I don't care, as I have had to blow 0.00 for many years now and I still manage to have a beer with no problems.

One of the greatest side effects of alcohol on the brain is, the more you have the more you think you can drive safely.

AnswerID: 531237

Reply By: Member - daz (SA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 07:58

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 07:58
This thread proves one thing.
Never argue with an idiot.
He will beat you hands down with experience
Daz
AnswerID: 531240

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 08:54

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 08:54
Hey guys. I'm not an idiot. This thread has been completely turned around from my initial post and intention of the thread. If you read it you will see I'm not for drink driving at all. A few beers is just 2 beers and that's all we are allowed to have anyway. My whole initial question was about how we are over policed and intimidated on the roads by all these revenue raisers etc. I don't mind police presence but not when they are hiding behind a bush with a hair dryer and get you for a few km over when you are driving with the flow of the traffic. Anyway I didn't mean to upset anyone. It was just an honest question. Cheers.
AnswerID: 531242

Reply By: Jackolux - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 09:42

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 09:42
" I'm not very smart " reckon that's about right
AnswerID: 531246

Sponsored Links