Trip Timing

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 17:51
ThreadID: 107862 Views:2474 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

we are planning a family trip next year in our van (myself, my wife and 3 kids (13,10 and almost 7 at that stage). Leaving from Brisbane - up to carnarvon, emerald, etc through to Mt Isa, out to 3 ways - up to darwin, Katherine, Kakadu, down the middle to the rock - on to South Aus, great ocean road, dubbo, back up inland to warwick and home to Brisbane. (in a rough nutshell, we are going to other places along the way). The question I have is around timing. I was thinking of going in August and we have 8 weeks to do the trip. The logic behind that is to head North in the cooler time and we would be getting to the south late september as it warms up. Is there a better time to do this trip? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 19:33

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 19:33
G'day Jason,

It will be cool in August travelling through central Qld and it will warm up when you get to the three ways in NT. It will be the dry season and already past the peak tourist season so hopefully it won't be so busy. IMO your time travelling through central Oz will still be cool at night but it sounds like a perfect time to me.

The only issue for me is that it seems like an overly long distance with a van and kids but it depends on what they are used too.

Sounds like a great trip.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 532834

Follow Up By: mtx - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 19:47

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 19:47
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated. It will be a long way but they are quite ok travelling. We are doing a run to Airlie Beach in september this year so that will give them a good taste of long days in the car. I guess with dvd players, ipods, ipads etc in the car they are ok to do long trips. We have planned it so if we have a long day in the car then we stay at least two nights wherever we are stopping so we are not on the road every day. I can always extend another week or so if we need to as well.

Cheers
FollowupID: 816137

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 20:10

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 20:10
Jason,

Wouldn't head north any later than August. Days can be perfect, or a bit hotter, but nights are cool, as there's usually little humidity. We went up to Kakadu late Sept/early Oct one year, and it's getting a bit sweaty by then.

Just watch some of the long stretches on Landsborough/Barkly and Stuart Highways. They can be quite boring for some, and it's easy to get fatigued if you don't have regular breaks, or swap drivers.

Enjoy the trip, there's some magic spots along that route,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532842

Reply By: mtx - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 20:18

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 20:18
Thanks Bob. Yeah I was wondering if we were leaving it too late. I did a similar trip as an 11 year old and absolutely loved it. My favorite spot was mataranka springs. Looking forward to spending a couple of nights there. I am really excited to give the same experience to my kids and wife.
AnswerID: 532843

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 14:13

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 14:13
No worries, Jason. In Kakadu, there's a few good walks, at Ubirr, Nourlangie Rock & Jim Jim Falls, that aren't so good when temps are in mid 30's, or higher.

Litchfield N/P is supposed be pretty good too, with a number of places to swim...........without being eaten :-)

Bob.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816187

Reply By: SDG - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 21:56

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 21:56
Did a similar trip last year. Wagga to SA, up to Darwin, back to 3ways, across to Cairns, back down to Wagga via Dubbo.
Took us about 8weeks.
3 Adults 8 kids, eldest about 14, youngest about 9, two cars. Kids all loved it. Did not worry much about electronic gadgets. They did school work, looked at scenery, played games(eye spy, cricket, etc), talked, sang, etc
AnswerID: 532854

Reply By: Bigfish - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 07:06

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 07:06
The top end comes alive during the wet season. A bit of humidity wont hurt. I think that the times you have picked will work well. October is the start of the build up but it is not unbearable. Swimming is more enjoyable and the kids will love Mataranka. If you do find it a bit uncomfortable....head south earlier.

Enjoy the trip
AnswerID: 532865

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 07:13

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 07:13
Hi Jason

We did a trip last year from Brisbane to Carnarvon, Winton, Longreach, Mt Isa, Lawn Hill, Karumba then tracked back toward the coast and home again. Took three weeks, and we were pretty rushed. The kids will love Lark Quarry and the Age of Dinosaurs both near Winton if you have time...and also if you have time, Lawn Hill was also quite spectacular. Seems a shame to almost drive past without dropping in!

Anyway - back to the topic...I think we left it a little too late by leaving in late August, and encountered some quite "unseasonal" hot weather along the way. Our camper has a/c so not too much of an issue there...but with kids I reckon mid-late July rather than August would be a safer bet. Still if you can't change your timing - then anytime is good!

Chris
AnswerID: 532866

Follow Up By: SDG - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 08:39

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 08:39
We have some nice fossils here that the kids found in Richmond. Sharks teeth, flippers, leg bones etc.
FollowupID: 816151

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:22

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:22
I found the Age of Dinosaurs experience quite fascinating, they said there are fossilised bones lying all around that area. Apparently it used to be underwater...seems hard to imagine now though!
FollowupID: 816155

Reply By: mtx - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:02

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:02
Thanks all, really helpful responses.
Yes, I am quite familiar with Lawn Hill. After working for AAco for 6 1/2 years, I have been on Lawn Hill station a few times now as well as many other stations in that area. Lawn Hill was definitely the best for scenery etc.

The planning continues!

cheers
AnswerID: 532876

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 14:04

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 14:04
That's a coincidence, Jason. I worked for AACo for a fair while too, but never got to Lawn Hill.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816186

Sponsored Links